Twitter: Tankathon update

Jipper

Reaction score
No, not that Tank! Lol

Straight stud. Imagine him with a strong supporting cast around him.

not to pee in your cereal but he's on pace for 6 sacks and 60 total tackles....while i do agree that he could do better with a stronger surrounding cast, that type of production is not in alignment with his current contract.

Additionally, his weakest games were against the best teams - rams, seahawks and cardnials - he had 0 sacks and 6 total tackles while his best games were against the weakest teams...

My point here is not that he's a bad player, more so that he is just not playing up to his contract and his "good" play is mostly coming against weaker teams. Obviously, you have to play who is on your schedule but hes not playing like a stud.

Rajveer

Reaction score
If only our FO can put a big fat stud in the middle of that line, our DE production would go up. However we tend to always ignore that and load up on DEs. Tank's numbers might get better if Randy comes back to his form and Aldon can rotate in and out of the lineup.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Tank still much better than Crawford. For those who were still wondering.

They say he gets a lot of pressures, though. Just like Almost Anthony (Spencer?) who also made a ton of money with little stats.

That is about all I can say in favor of Tank.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No, not that Tank! Lol

Straight stud. Imagine him with a strong supporting cast around him.

This is just 100% proof that simply paying someone a max deal doesn't make the defense better by itself. Just like paying max for aaron donald or Mack it's a waste unless you build around them. These guys can't do everything and become laregely ineffective since he has almost no help. So easy to take him out of the play he can beat his man all day and only come away with 1-2 tackles. Good defenses require multiple guys who can make plays.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
not to pee in your cereal but he's on pace for 6 sacks and 60 total tackles....while i do agree that he could do better with a stronger surrounding cast, that type of production is not in alignment with his current contract.

Additionally, his weakest games were against the best teams - rams, seahawks and cardnials - he had 0 sacks and 6 total tackles while his best games were against the weakest teams...

My point here is not that he's a bad player, more so that he is just not playing up to his contract and his "good" play is mostly coming against weaker teams. Obviously, you have to play who is on your schedule but hes not playing like a stud.

That's why you don't box score stat, also 60 tackles for an edge rusher is really damn good! Lol. So your counter point doesn't make much sense.

You also said Arizona was apart of the "better teams", which appears to be cherry picking, as they are not. Including the Cards and not the Browns is the epitome of trying to cherry pick to prove a point.

Sorry to piss in your cereal.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
his "good" play is mostly coming against weaker teams
Shhhh. You can't evaluate a player based taking into account who they play against. Every opponent is the same. Beating a backup is the same as beating a multi year all pro. Haven't you learned anything around here?

Jipper

Reaction score
That's why you don't box score stat, also 60 tackles for an edge rusher is really damn good! Lol. So your counter point doesn't make much sense.

You also said Arizona was apart of the "better teams", which appears to be cherry picking, as they are not. Including the Cards and not the Browns is the epitome of trying to cherry pick to prove a point.

Sorry to piss in your cereal.

you are not helping your argument….go ahead and include the browns, just means 3 more tackles. He only played well against the eagles, Washington and giants - that's where his 3 sacks and forced fumble are coming from. Additionally, that's where over half of his tackles (16 of 31) are coming from. This guy is paid to get sacks and he's not delivering, and especially not delivering when they are needed most against the best teams.

My point stands that this guy has disappeared against any of the better teams we have played and the only time he has played up to his expectations is against the crappiest teams in the league. There is no "cherry picking" stats on this one, he's the best player on a very crappy defense and he's not playing up to the level of expectations for his contract.

He's not playing up to his contract and its not close.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
As I understand it, Tank's playing on a bum knee -- it might take him an entire offseason to resolve his ailment before he's 100% again. :omg:

Jipper

Reaction score
As I understand it, Tank's playing on a bum knee -- it might take him an entire offseason to resolve his ailment before he's 100% again. :omg:

well if that is truly the case then it would make a lot of sense in his performance and would certainly warrant a reconsideration of expectations.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If he's coming in top 5 at his position your arbitrary assessments as to "playing up to his contract" mean very little.

They're comparing him to his peers. You're comparing him to whatever you imagined "playing up to his contract" to mean.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This is just 100% proof that simply paying someone a max deal doesn't make the defense better by itself. Just like paying max for aaron donald or Mack it's a waste unless you build around them. These guys can't do everything and become laregely ineffective since he has almost no help. So easy to take him out of the play he can beat his man all day and only come away with 1-2 tackles. Good defenses require multiple guys who can make plays.

dont agree.

You have to pay elite talent.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Great overall score but it's a little inflated due to having two game grades of near 100 against 3rd stringers (Cam Fleming and Jordan Mailata).

He seems to be rounding into form though which is good, that's a large knock on Lawrence (he seems to always either start or end the season slow).

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Great overall score but it's a little inflated due to having two game grades of near 100 against 3rd stringers (Cam Fleming and Jordan Mailata).

He seems to be rounding into form though which is good, that's a large knock on Lawrence (he seems to always either start or end the season slow).

I can agree with this.

Even if he top 10, adjusted for schedule, instead of top 3 that's still a great thing.

Again this is with no talent around him for years now.

Jipper

Reaction score
If he's coming in top 5 at his position your arbitrary assessments as to "playing up to his contract" mean very little.

They're comparing him to his peers. You're comparing him to whatever you imagined "playing up to his contract" to mean.

this is simple....is he paid like an elite pass rusher? Yes....is he generating sacks like an elite pass rusher? No .....how hard is that to understand? Aldon Smith has more sacks than him this year...and yeah i get it that there is more to it than just sacks, such pressures, stops behind the line for loss, etc., but the problem is hes being paid like a premier pass rusher and not playing like one.

im not hating on dlaw, hes still a great player and i get his value, but hes just not performing right now and not getting sacks esp against good teams when needed.

Majic

Reaction score
Interesting that Isiah Stanback on Talkin' Cowboys was of the opinion that D-Law needs someone better than himself on the other side to get the best out of him

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I've been harsh on Dlaw at times this year, but dont completely rule out the lack of talent surrounding a DE. It really reminds me of the last year of Demarcus Ware in Dallas. I think he ended the year with 5 or 6 sacks, but had no support up the middle of his defensive line. He was beating OTs outside all day, but QBs had plenty of room to step up in the pocket so his numbers were pretty underwhelming, and many thought his career was pretty much over between production and injuries.. Next year he goes to Denver gets double digit sacks and won a super bowl before it was all over.

Years have gone by, but we are in the same situation. You have DE that would start on any team in the league right now, but without some help at the DT position it becomes very easy to neutralize Dlaw.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Tank is a very good player and unfortunately lack of sacks has people think he's lazy which is far from the case. We all want to see more sacks to justify the contract, but Tank is the least of the Cowboys defense issues right now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Interesting that Isiah Stanback on Talkin' Cowboys was of the opinion that D-Law needs someone better than himself on the other side to get the best out of him
There could be something to that, but it isnt necessarily an effort thing. If the Cowboys had some other threat on this defense to really be disruptive it would take a lot of pressure off him from a schematic point. It's just like when you have a strong #2 receiver so you let your #1 guy walk in FA, only to find out that the guy you kept really isnt ready for that role, and really benefited from the old guy who took the double teams.

Especially since he plays LE he is lined up on the RT, more often than not that isn't the teams best pass blocking T. If he could get more one on one match ups he would have monster numbers, but he isnt that elite level pass rusher that can beat double teams. Dlaws value is more in him being really good at everything, not great at anything.