Target to stop accepting personal checks as form of payment

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Accepting checks is the topic of the article but I found myself interest in this mention within it also:

The move comes following other recent changes Target has made, including adding limitations to the retailer's self-checkout policy.
It contains a link to another article: Target announces major changes to how customers can check out at stores (link). It talks about the company limiting customers to 10 items or less using self-checkout.

I wish ALL store chains took that approach. It is annoying (to me at least) knowing what I what, walking into a store, grabbing it, head to self-checkout, only to find a LINE has develop.

Why? From my personal perspective, it is not usually due to someone having a technical issue checking out or a self-checkout station(s) being out of service. It is usually because one or more customers are checking out a full shopping cart OR full shopping cartS.

Retailers sought greater cost savings in their initial push towards decreasing payroll expense using scanning technology. It was a shortsighted goal. Every type of consumer will take advantage of a shopping innovation. There will always be customers, who will exploit personal convenience to the detriment of fellow customers.

Additionally, self-checkout promotes intentional and unintentional theft as the number of items per customer increases. A thief will intentionally not scan items. Some customers become distracted or careless while scanning their items--especially when they are buying many items during a single visit.

Putting a cap on self-checkout purchases is not a complete solution. However, it is a far better one than allowing all customers to use the service carefree.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The number of rubber checks also is increasing; I can see why they want to stop doing it.

In this day and age, there really is no reason to use a checkbook for about 95% of things.

now limiting the number of items is CLEARLY all about theft; I notice Walmart and most other stores now have someone full time watching the self checkout area but it can still be done when you have a bunch of items.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
now limiting the number of items is CLEARLY all about theft; I notice Walmart and most other stores now have someone full time watching the self checkout area but it can still be done when you have a bunch of items.
Bold> True but theft and even theft prevention are not new concepts for retailers, especially large-scale retailers. Their emphasis (Target, Walmart, etc.) must have been to push the technology out as quickly and fiscally viable as possible and then deal with losses due to theft afterwards.

It would blow my mind thinking all these retailers believed theft levels would remain level or decrease with the advent of self-checkout. In my opinion, they could have accomplished the same goal of implementing self-checkout in all their locations while restricting the number of items each customer could check out. I concede how enticing it would be for cashiers to be wiped off their payroll in favor of the self-serving tech but it would be necessary to beef up loss prevention security long-term as a deterrent.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Bold> True but theft and even theft prevention are not new concepts for retailers, especially large-scale retailers. Their emphasis (Target, Walmart, etc.) must have been to push the technology out as quickly and fiscally viable as possible and then deal with losses due to theft afterwards.

It would blow my mind thinking all these retailers believed theft levels would remain level or decrease with the advent of self-checkout. In my opinion, they could have accomplished the same goal of implementing self-checkout in all their locations while restricting the number of items each customer could check out. I concede how enticing it would be for cashiers to be wiped off their payroll in favor of the self-serving tech but it would be necessary to beef up loss prevention security long-term as a deterrent.
corporate mentality anymore is the lowest common denominator. In other words like the lowest bidder.
These are the same people that think constantly rearranging the inventory is a good idea since it makes people look around and thus buy more when in fact it just pisses people off and the buy less and find somewhere else if they can.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cash is next
I think I am one of the few that I see pay cash when I go into Sheetz or other places.

I have a debit card for our banking account. Actually I have multiple ones....None have ever been activated as I have never used them. The wife uses hers all the time.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Accepting checks is the topic of the article but I found myself interest in this mention within it also:

The move comes following other recent changes Target has made, including adding limitations to the retailer's self-checkout policy.
It contains a link to another article: Target announces major changes to how customers can check out at stores (link). It talks about the company limiting customers to 10 items or less using self-checkout.

I wish ALL store chains took that approach. It is annoying (to me at least) knowing what I what, walking into a store, grabbing it, head to self-checkout, only to find a LINE has develop.

Why? From my personal perspective, it is not usually due to someone having a technical issue checking out or a self-checkout station(s) being out of service. It is usually because one or more customers are checking out a full shopping cart OR full shopping cartS.

Retailers sought greater cost savings in their initial push towards decreasing payroll expense using scanning technology. It was a shortsighted goal. Every type of consumer will take advantage of a shopping innovation. There will always be customers, who will exploit personal convenience to the detriment of fellow customers.

Additionally, self-checkout promotes intentional and unintentional theft as the number of items per customer increases. A thief will intentionally not scan items. Some customers become distracted or careless while scanning their items--especially when they are buying many items during a single visit.

Putting a cap on self-checkout purchases is not a complete solution. However, it is a far better one than allowing all customers to use the service carefree.
I once forgot to pay for an item that was on the bottom of the cart. I didn't realize until I got home that I hadn't paid for it.

I am all for putting a cap on self-checkout. Not for theft reasons. Treat the smaller stations like the express lane 10 items or less. I'm in a hurry. If you have an overflowing cart, go to one of the larger stations or a manned checkout.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest.......I didn't know checks were still a thing. I can't even recall seeing anybody write a check in a store in years.

The last time I ever remember even using a check was back in like 2008/2009 when sending in my car payments. The good ole' days of the car payment coupon book. haha

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I think I am one of the few that I see pay cash when I go into Sheetz or other places.

I have a debit card for our banking account. Actually I have multiple ones....None have ever been activated as I have never used them. The wife uses hers all the time.
Same here I pay mostly in cash unless a big amount or if i have to pay online ( i uses prepaid card).
also I will never use a self checkout.

Praxit

Reaction score
..wow, personal checks still around with dept stores? Thought that went out by 2K.

gtb1943

Reaction score
..wow, personal checks still around with dept stores? Thought that went out by 2K.
walmart still accepts them
I can see a lot of people do not get out much if they claim they have not seen checks being written for many years
I saw one a day ago