Tashard Choice

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Is any one else excited to see what this kid can do? For some reason I can't wait to see him get a few carries while Felix is out. Should be interesting.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Im just excited about Cowboy football in general.

I really think the overanalyzing by the fans and media has put a damper on this team mentally.

They came out playing hard and winning and all anyone did was complain. A win is never good enough.

They have flattened out over the last 3 weeks and just when you thought they hit rock bottom Jerry pulls off a great move that will put a spark back into this team.

If nothing else it will bring enthusiasm and when this team plays with that they are just about un-stopable.

dueyhemlock

Hog Hunter
Reaction score
I know Choice is probably faster than Barber, small change of pace, but I can't wait til the real speed back is added to our arsenal again.

How is Choice at blitz pickup?

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Choice will be good backing up MBIII, he seems to be somewhat of an MBIII clone, but we will miss Felix on the KO Returns.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I really like this player.

He's an effort guy who reminds me of the Cowboys running backs in the mid-1970s ... guys like Robert Newhouse, Preston Pearson, Scott Laidlaw and Doug Dennison. They got the most out of their talent by playing their rear ends off and did whatever was necessary to help the team (special teams, etc.).

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Choice definitely has the skills to play. He looked good in preseason, but he wasn't playing against starting defenses. I still think he'll be productive enough to give MBIII a breather during the game.

My concern is if he can/can't pick up blitzes.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;2341777 said:

I really think the overanalyzing by the fans and media has put a damper on this team mentally.

They came out playing hard and winning and all anyone did was complain. A win is never good enough.

They have flattened out over the last 3 weeks and just when you thought they hit rock bottom Jerry pulls off a great move that will put a spark back into this team.

If nothing else it will bring enthusiasm and when this team plays with that they are just about un-stopable.

they were playing hard??? could have fooled me....seem more like they tried to skate pass these first six games......

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
CATCH17;2341777 said:

Amen. I'm excited also--let's see how the Choice and the young CBs handle it.

juck

Reaction score
Honestly I was more excited about us drafting him then felix.Call me crazy the guy was a beast in college as a primary back.He reminds me of another Cowboy who was pretty good.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2341907 said:
they were playing hard??? could have fooled me....seem more like they tried to skate pass these first six games......

The 1st 3 weeks I think they played damn hard.

Last 3 they have definetely skated.

Temo

Reaction score
I like Choice, he's a hard nosed guy who's perfect for special teams and as an emergency RB. But if he gets a single meaningful carry (ie not way ahead or way behind), I'd be suprised.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
CATCH17;2341939 said:
The 1st 3 weeks I think they played damn hard.

Last 3 they have definetely skated.

I agree with your first post but not this one. I think these guys with one or two exceptions are playing very hard. Players are going to have flat days because that's the nature of the beast. You're aren't going to shoot a subpar round everytime you play nor go 4 for 4 every game. Generally speaking the problems have been not adjusting properly as in not protecting Romo better the other day.

If you're talking about STs then there are noticeable flat players nearly every game. So I'd have to agree there.

As far as Choice. He seems to be faster than MB with a little more wiggle and definitely willing to engage in combat. He may surprise a few here I think. Don't know who he runs like but he's a football player.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I am. I think we can admit that he's no Felix Jones, but from what we saw in camp, his burst, it's worth getting excited about.

JRid21

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many people think Choice is such a downgrade from Felix. Yes, Felix is a playmaker but Choice was a great running back in college and I believe he was the starter at Oklahoma too till he transferred because of Peterson coming in. He's also a natural leader as evidenced by this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAOkxgvboPk

isawoj

Reaction score
Georgia Tech fan and Cowboys fan here:

Choice was never the starter at OU. He was AP's backup his freshman year and realized he wasn't going to beat him out. No shame in that. Add to that his mom had health issues, he was able to transfer to Tech to be close to her.

Tashard Choice led the ACC in rushing the last 2 seasons. He did so both years while dealing with, gulp, hamstring and quad issues. Last year he played with a hammy that was so bad for a few games that he would break a run and have to run out of bounds 20 yards down field so he didn't pull it again. Despite a couple of games of doing that, he still led the ACC.

He is not a guy with breakaway speed, but he is excellent at setting up blockers and finding a cutback seam inside the tackles to guarantee a 4-6 yard gain on any well blocked run at the point of attack.

If he breaks one into the open, he will get walked down, so don't expect 40 yard runs. He ran behind a zone blocking scheme at Georgia Tech, so it was a lot of one cut and go. Read the blocking as he approached the line and then burst through the opening. He is not a guy that bounces outside at the first sign of a clogged up hole, but rather tries to find a seam inside. This is a good thing, because he knows he won't make the corner anyway.

If you watched his TD runs in the preseason, he did an excellent job dipping inside to setup blockers on the outside and then burst outside once he got on the blocker's hip to run free for the end zone. Guys that didn't rely solely on speed in college make those moves, which is good, because you can't always run away from Pro defenders.

Choice was excellent at blitz pickup and releasing as a check down in the passing game in college and is probably equal to or close to the best blitz pickup back in this very deep running back class from last year's draft.

He is what he is. Not all world, but certainly not a longshot like some think. He is a legitimate NFL RB, especially for any team running a 2-back system. Why did he go so low in the draft? Extremely deep RB class and concerns about his health/legs.

BTW - His nickname at Tech was Deuce. As in Deuce - Deuce. The number he wore because he modelled his running style to Emmitt.

Nexx

Reaction score
choice is barber lite, i'll take that. he'll bring some leadership, as much as a non starting rookie can bring, to that offense. he'll also bring some fire that our team is missing.

isawoj

Reaction score
JRid21;2342195 said:
I don't understand why so many people think Choice is such a downgrade from Felix. Yes, Felix is a playmaker but Choice was a great running back in college and I believe he was the starter at Oklahoma too till he transferred because of Peterson coming in. He's also a natural leader as evidenced by this youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAOkxgvboPk

Here is that speech with text explaining the circumstances:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nnstylh2g8

Puts the speech in context.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JRid21;2342195 said:

Its not that.

Its much like the Reshard Mendenhall vs Felix debate.

We already have a Teshard Choice type back in place. Losing Felix means we lose that explosion he brings.

Choice can play though and he has worked his butt off on special teams. You gotta like the guy.