TE Martellus Bennet Video

shmee

Reaction score
I hated this pick at first, but now that I see him and read bout him, I like the kid. He played in a run happy offense, so he's got plenty of blocking experience, and he's a basketball player so he can go up and get the ball. I know your arguments are that we already had a backup TE with Fasano, but really, he never played like we expected and it was time to move on. All the scouting reports say that Bennet has huge upside, he could be what we wanted from Fasano and be better. He's a mismatch on any LB when we go two TE.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/media.../TE_Martellus_Bennet_Highlight_-_3-25-08.aspx

Valor

Benched
Reaction score
Meh. Fasano's highlight reel out of ND looked just as good. Mayock said this guy can't block at all. We shall see.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Valor;2055321 said:
Meh. Fasano's highlight reel out of ND looked just as good. Mayock said this guy can't block at all. We shall see.

If the guy can not block at all...how does he do this (from sports line evaluation)

There are probably few college tight ends in recent history who have averaged four catches (49 for 587 yards and four touchdowns) and more than five knockdown blocks (67) per game.

BHendri5

Reaction score
First I want to say, my wife just got back from H.E.B. and we have a big block of cheese to go with that wine a lot of you are doing.

Secondly, I am a Notre Dame and Husker fan, love those two colleges, so I predicted that we would get Fasano. He is tough, he can catch and he can block, I watched him in college and I was estatic when we drafted him.

some people in here was bashing him because he dropped the pass in the playoff game and they went on to say he never really did anything. Now those same people are crying because we drafted Bennett and why didn't we just keep Fasano, or why didn't we get a WR.

Mayock do not know what the blank he is talking about, his mock drafts were shown to be garbage from the start, so I would not believe anything he says/said today. I heard what he said about Bennett but the film shows differently.

Witten is a great TE, how do you think Tony Curtis a former bball player got better, watching Witten and listening and learning from the starter and the coaches, once he got to the NFL he received better coaching, the same will happen for Bennett.

What we have now is 3 TEs that can really put pressure on defenses, Bennett and Curtis and Witten can be split out like WR and they can get down the field, also Witten was not good at blocking when he first came, he has gotten better every year, the same has been happening for Curtis and the same will happen for Bennett.

Parcells knew we would not give up Witten but he knew we would give up Fasano, and Fasano fits the mold of Mark Bravaro, Parcells TE from the past, and we all know that Parcells lives in the past. He tried to build this team like his teams from the past, and he will try and maybe succeed in doing that for Miami, once the owner realizes that Parcells will get the dolphins to a competitive status but not over the hump he will fire Parcells or Parcells will resign.

But Fasano will be a very good TE, he will be that Mark Bravaro for the dolphins if he can stay healthy.

Bennet will be good, he not only will benefit from the excellent coaching and mentoring from Witten, but I am willing to bet he will gravitate towards T.O. as well and start working out with T.O. and I am willing to bet he will get faster as well.

We had a very very good first day, 1st and 2nd rd. If there had been a WR that Jerry thought could help immediately he would have made it happen, but everyone that his scouts and coaches graded they felt that they would have to wait a year or 2 for them to develop.

So do not blame Jerry for anything, blame the lions, bengals, and cradinals for being stupid/smart for not taking one of our first round picks for their WR.
A vet WR would have helped us instantly, so now we have to believe that our young guys will make that next step to help relieve the coverage on T.O., or that TG will be healthy enough for one last go around in the NFL.

Now this is the last things, Jerry may still be able to pull off a trade, like giving away our 3rd,4th(that we got for Fasano and Akin, rpelacing the 4th we gave for Adam Jones) 6th for one of those vet WR, if not we can wait till next season and pursue Roy Williams openly.

Also, listen for another Arkansas player WR Marcus Monk, or a WR from Oregon that got hurt, he could possibly be a UDFA, since he has been out of sight and out of mind(i cannot think of his name right now)but he was Dennis Dixon's favorite target before he went down and then also Dixon went down, he could be a person we could bring in as well.

I've heard good things about both receivers, things like they could help a team asap at the receiver spot.

Jerry has done a very very good job, he wants players that can take starters spots, he siad back in the 90s, he was drafting for backup positions, because of his stars, but he said he learned from that and he only wants players that can also be starters.

Sorry this was so long.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2055532 said:
If the guy can not block at all...how does he do this (from sports line evaluation)

There are probably few college tight ends in recent history who have averaged four catches (49 for 587 yards and four touchdowns) and more than five knockdown blocks (67) per game.

I think the blocking label is a unfortunate result of someone putting to much stock into his 225 reps at the combine.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
BHendri5;2055541 said:
Mayock do not know what the blank he is talking about, his mock drafts were shown to be garbage from the start, so I would not believe anything he says/said today. I heard what he said about Bennett but the film shows differently.

I actually disagree. Mayock knows his crap. If you watched the NFL Network coverage you would of seen that. As far as his mock, check again, he was on fire.

By the way, I did enjoy the post, just don't agree about Mayock or for that matter his opinion on Bennetts blocking skills

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Hard for me to believe he cant block at all considering A&M is a run first offense.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
Valor;2055321 said:

No it did not. And Bennett's senior year, he came a fierce run blocker - very nasty.