Tech Help: Installed Ram, Mobo Beeping Now.

BadMeetsEvil

Reaction score
I installed a 256 chip of PCI133 it's an OLD mobo.

Now my PC Beeps and won't turn on.

Is the Ram Bad? Or not compatible?

Duane

Reaction score
BadMeetsEvil said:
I installed a 256 chip of PCI133 it's an OLD mobo.

Now my PC Beeps and won't turn on.

Is the Ram Bad? Or not compatible?

Do you have the name and model of your mobo? If so you can do a quick check on the company's website for capatability. Also, do you have any other RAM modules on the board with the 256mb PC133? If so will it boot when you remove the new RAM?

BadMeetsEvil

Reaction score
Thanks Duane, I end up sticking in the old RAM for now till I can figure out what is wrong. I'll do what you said.. then maybe I'll be able to find the correct Ram. Thanks

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sounds like it is either bad memory or just not the right kind.

Like Duane said...look up the mother board and check out the beep codes...however if you put the old memory back ....chances are that was what it was.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Most Motherboards in that time fram will use PC133 or PC100 memory not all them but the large % of them would.

So 3 possibilties like they said bad memory; incorrect memory or just you did not get a good connection on install

BadMeetsEvil

Reaction score
I ended up putting back the two 64's back in there. Both of them are PC100 and they snapped right in fine and the system was back up and running.

The 256 I had was PC133. I found out the Mobo can only handle 256 ram in total. I might mess with it again and try putting just the 256 in again, cause like said in Kangroo post.. 133 and 100 are pretty similar.

Thanks for the help guys.