Terrence Copper? WR depth and ST help?

Spectre

Reaction score
Saints released WR Terrance Copper.

Copper has been a key special teamer and low depth-chart receiver for the Saints since 2006. His release could be a sign than Marques Colston is fully healthy and ready for game action.

He's nobody but he had some good games/catches during his stay in NO and if I recall correctly, he was a good special teamer for us when he was here. We still have an opening at WR don't we?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Can he play CB?

Heck, I just realized we don't even have a DB on our practice squad.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would imagine the reason he was released is the same reason why the Cowboys won't sign him. He is too far down the depth chart for receiver and it would require tying up a roster spot just for special teams. The Cowboys already have three roster spots dedicated to special teams (kicker, punter and long snapper) and four if you count Keith Davis once one of the safeties returns. Keep in mind that Stanbach was on the inactive list last week but he's normally on special teams as well when he's active.

Spectre

Reaction score
Reality;2341402 said:
I would imagine the reason he was released is the same reason why the Cowboys won't sign him. He is too far down the depth chart for receiver and it would require tying up a roster spot just for special teams. The Cowboys already have three roster spots dedicated to special teams (kicker, punter and long snapper) and four if you count Keith Davis once one of the safeties returns. Keep in mind that Stanbach was on the inactive list last week but he's normally on special teams as well when he's active.
true.

But the Saints have Colston, Henderson, Moore, Patten, Meachem and they're "Stanbach"- Arrington. We have 1 less WR with Owens, Williams, Crayton, Austin and Jefferson if Hurd gets shut down for the year. Bringing one in with a special teams pedigree and familiarity with the organization makes sense.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spectre;2341412 said:
true.

But the Saints have Colston, Henderson, Moore, Patten, Meachem and they're "Stanbach"- Arrington. We have 1 less WR with Owens, Williams, Crayton, Austin and Jefferson if Hurd gets shut down for the year. Bringing one in with a special teams pedigree and familiarity with the organization makes sense.
Actually, Williams will be taking Hurd's roster spot .. that means we'll have Owens, Williams, Crayton, Austin and Stanbach as the receivers. Jefferson is on the practice squad and is also still suspended I believe.

Unless one of the top five receivers gets injured, we have no reason to add another one given that we have three tight-ends with all three considered as h-back/receiving tight-ends (as opposed to pure blocking tight-ends).

DMX690

Reaction score
Spectre;2341412 said:
true.

U don't carry six Wr.. when u only have four CB available to play in the next month. :banghead:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the cowboys may look at him, they need help badly on special teams

but you would have to cut somebody if you signed cooper so i dont know whom would get cut

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Reality;2341427 said:
Actually, Williams will be taking Hurd's roster spot .. that means we'll have Owens, Williams, Crayton, Austin and Stanbach as the receivers. Jefferson is on the practice squad and is also still suspended I believe.

Unless one of the top five receivers gets injured, we have no reason to add another one given that we have three tight-ends with all three considered as h-back/receiving tight-ends (as opposed to pure blocking tight-ends).

I'm not sure what Jefferson's status on the roster would be after that ends. They did sign Travis Wilson to the PS, so if they see anything more in him then its possible they might release Jefferson.

Spectre

Reaction score
Reality;2341427 said:

Yea, my bad. I knew Roy was taking Hurd's spot but I forgot to add that in to the equation. Well with Jefferson on the PS and suspended, my math was still right.

Either way, I was just throwing the name out there when I saw him released.