Texas' Brown votes Trojans No. 1, Longhorns No. 2

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2249627

Texas coach Mack Brown has been calling Southern California the No. 1 team all season and it wasn't just talk.

Brown voted USC first in the final USA Today coaches' poll, and so did his brother.

The ballots were made public Monday, a first for the coaches' poll, which is used by the Bowl Championship Series in its standings formula.

The BCS had urged the coaches to remove the secrecy in their poll after the 2004 season, when Texas made a late surge in the polls to earn a Rose Bowl bid over California.

The coaches decided to release only their final ballots, which were printed in Monday's editions of USA Today.

"I think it proves what we thought it would all along, which is that the coaches who vote in the USA Today coaches' poll are thoughtful and committed to the balloting process," Grant Teaff, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, said Monday through spokesman Todd Bell.

The Harris Interactive poll, which was introduced this season to replace The Associated Press Top 25 in the BCS formula, also released its final ballots. The Harris panel is comprised of former college football players, coaches and administrators, plus some media members.

The AP media poll has always had transparency in its voting.

Brown had his Texas team No. 2, behind USC. The Trojans and Longhorns will play for the national title in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 4.

UAB coach Watson Brown also had the Trojans first and his younger brother's team second.

USC coach Pete Carroll is not on the 62-member voting panel. Twenty coaches voted for their own teams, with none straying too far from the consensus.

Among the notables, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano gave the Scarlet Knights (7-4) their only vote, putting them 25th on his ballot.

Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis had his team fourth, two spots ahead of Oregon (10-1). The Fighting Irish (9-2) were ranked No. 6.

Oregon coach Mike Bellotti put the Ducks fourth and Notre Dame ninth. Oregon finished No. 5 in the final regular season poll, but Notre Dame earned a bid to the BCS and Oregon did not.

Texas received seven first-place votes to USC's 55.

Three of the seven coaches who voted for the Big 12 champions were from conference rivals: Colorado's Gary Barnett, whose team has lost twice to the Longhorns this season by a combined scored of 112-20, Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy and Iowa State's Dan McCarney.

The others who had Texas on top were San Jose State's Dick Tomey, who was defensive coordinator at Texas last season, TCU's Gary Patterson and Florida State coach Bobby Bowden.

Penn State was No. 3 on all but two ballots. Texas A&M coach Dennis Franchione had Notre Dame third and the Nittany Lions fourth. Arkansas coach Houston Nutt had Auburn third, just ahead of Penn State.

Auburn was No. 7 in the poll. Tigers coach Tommy Tuberville had his team fourth.

Other votes that went against the norm were:

• SMU coach Phil Bennett had Oregon 15th.

• Ohio coach Frank Solich placed LSU fifth, 10 spots ahead of Georgia, which beat the Tigers 34-14 in the Southeastern Conference championship Saturday.

• South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier had Notre Dame 14th, his own team 21st, and in-state rival Clemson 24th. The Tigers beat Spurrier's Gamecocks 13-9 to close out the regular season.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Probably cz its the truth. But Stanley Spitowski would like to argue that USC would get hammered in late November if they went to Columbus. Texas will not beat USC. Not if Carrol has 3+weeks to game plan. Not with the talent. You've seen them get by purely on talent when they took teh game from ND.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
It's a no-win situation for Mack... if he votes his own team for #1, it becomes bulletin board fodder for USC. He took the best option.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not that big of a deal.

Mack is right. The Trojans are still the big dog on the block until they are beaten on the field.

Professional Courtesy and putting your ego aside at your finest right here.

- Mike G.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think this is going to be interesting. Carroll having three weeks doesn't really scare me much. It's no secret on how to beat Texas. Defensively, there small so if you can power run against them, your going to have success. In the passing game, I think you use the fact that there Safeties are sometimes overly agressive. They can be influenced and beaten deep, to the middle of the field. Everybody thinks that Bush is going to be the guy for SC but I think it's going to be Lendel White. He's got the size and speed to wear Texas out. I think the TE plays a big role in this contest for SC. I also think Bush has to catch a lot of balls out of the backfield. Texas has tremendous team speed. I don't think Bush is going to be able to get wide on them. Texas has more speed then any team this SC squad has ever seen. There are things they do offensively that won't work against Texas.

On the Texas side, I think there defense matches up well with everybody except White. Texas is one of the few teams in the country that is going to be able to practice against the kind of speed SC has in the backfield. Taylor and Charles both have that same kind of speed. On the flip side, I've never seen anybody contain Young the first time they play him. SC has nobody they can use to practice against that will replicate the same kind of things Young can do. SC is soft in the interior and they play pass defense like crap. I think Young can have a very big day against SC. For SC to win, there LBs have to have a monster game but the good news, for SC, is that I believe that this is the strength of there defense. I think Texas offense will move the ball against the SC defense as well or better then the SC offense will move the ball against the Texas defense. That Texas defense can be fooled but if they get SC down, they are deep enough and have enough speed to get to Lienart in the 4th quarter if it comes to passing the football.

Texas is all about talent and athleticisam. SC, to me, must dominate you offensively or they won't win. They have experience which will be big. Texas does turn the ball over and that could kill them against SC. SC doesn't really do that much. It should be a great game. We will see what happens.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
trickblue said:
It's a no-win situation for Mack... if he votes his own team for #1, it becomes bulletin board fodder for USC. He took the best option.

Bingo!

No Bulletin board material for USC.

Who cares about this game anyway....The Real game is the Fiesta! :D

GO BUCKEYES!!!

royhitshard

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who is #1 or #2 in the BCS, whoever wins is the Nat'l Champ. Brown would have been stupid to vote Texas #1.