The Amari Cooper Effect?

Cydios

Reaction score
Just a thought. I know Cooper was a no show pretty much. I did notice after watching some highlights that was indeed double covered. Safety slanted his direction.

So is this a question of Jarwin, Hurns, Gallup and Beasly stepping up OR was it the Cooper effect that led to the others being open (minus the Beasly "catch") ?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You said it. Cooper has been invisible on the stat sheet for three weeks now, but the Cowboys' offense is still producing.

This means he is having an effect. Beasley, Gallup, and Jarwin are getting single coverage because defenses don't want Coop to get another one of his 180 or 217 yard games.

The Cowboys have a true number one receiver other teams have to worry about, and it's great to see the other receivers on the roster take advantage of his presence.

stiletto

Reaction score
Only football idiots would say Amari isn't helping. Teams will have to pick their poison with our team the rest of the way. It's a good thing. One team will say, nope Zeke you are not beating us we are putting 8 in the box, oops Amari will not be doubled nearly as much..with the emergence of Jarwin, etc. I really do think we can be tough to defend all the way. We just need the defense to play better than they've been playing the last 3-4 weeks. Would like to see a turnover or two in the Wild Card game.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch the replay of the first Jarwin TD. The LB responsible for Jarwin cheats and anticipates the ball's going to Cooper who also is breaking inside toward the end zone. He guessed wrong and Jarwin is wide open for an easy TD.

That's the Amari Cooper effect.

conner01

Reaction score
Just a thought. I know Cooper was a no show pretty much. I did notice after watching some highlights that was indeed double covered. Safety slanted his direction.

So is this a question of Jarwin, Hurns, Gallup and Beasly stepping up OR was it the Cooper effect that led to the others being open (minus the Beasly "catch") ?
Probably some of both
Jarwin and Beasley made some great catches, Beasley’s was a thing of beauty
Jarwin getting down the middle forces the safety to make a decision and that helps everyone because he has to pick his poison

LovinItAll

Reaction score

Didn't read the entire thread, but:

Prescott looked Cooper's way several times and he was doubled. No real reason to force it to him when they were giving him the TEs. Cooper being in the game is a huge bonus...if they single cover him frequently, Prescott will make them pay. If not, someone else will be open because of the attention he draws. Just hope Cooper is okay with Prescott being conservative. As long as we win, I don't care.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
So based on this, is it safe to say that Dez Bryant had the same effect?

From 2010-2014, yes.

From 2015 on his foot and leg injuries robbed him of his speed and explosiveness. Teams figured out by late in 2016 they could single cover Dez and he would rarely hurt them.

It was sad to see because I liked Dez. But he was never the route runner Cooper is, so once his physical dominance betrayed him he became a number two-level receiver, at best.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watch the replay of the first Jarwin TD. The LB responsible for Jarwin cheats and anticipates the ball's going to Cooper who also is breaking inside toward the end zone. He guessed wrong and Jarwin is wide open for an easy TD.

That's the Amari Cooper effect.
Same thing happened with Beasley on the third Jarwin touchdown with the linebacker moving up to cover Beasley.

In all fairness though, I think a lot of times the defenses assume Dak will throw short passes over long ones so if they ever have to guess, they are probably told to guess short.

That said, there is no question having Amari Cooper has stretched the defenses.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
So based on this, is it safe to say that Dez Bryant had the same effect?
I think the difference is that Dez became noticeably and verbally discontent when he was not getting the ball in double and single coverage. To Dez's argument, Dak was not as (Romoesque) with his passing so even more frustration for Dez. Lastly the offense changed for Dak (and the receiving corp) to go to shorter routes (not Dez's specialty).
Given this offensive strategy and QB, any #1 WR is going to have to be very patient.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Tavon Austin on the field has helped some too. On that two point conversion he was running left and a lot of them bit on it allowing Gallup to come from left to right to catch that 2 point catch. He also ran from the slot in which he went inside stopped and turned around outside for a first down on 3rd and 5. I really feel he is an excellent slot receiver if he is used there. I really feel we should use him on third downs from the outside or the slot when teams like to blitz. If they bring the house with Austin running free if Dak hits him he is gone. I'd like to see Austin run that cross field route that Hurns caught that pass on. That's where Austin would be dangerous. If he can use a lot of field to gain separation instead of running straight with a sideline becoming another defender so to speak. Let him run routes where the sideline cant help the defender. I also liked how jarwin was used to CATCH and not do all that blocking. I've been wanting that.for years. I really feel like in today's game tightends are concentrating on catching not so much blocking, and marwin looks excellent with his jumping ability and he has nice speed. He had one catch that was beautiful, he had to stop and spin in the air to turn backwards to catch the ball and in one motion turn back around and ran for a few more yards. It reminded me of marques colston who used to play for the saints with brees. He made a living out of running and spinning in the air to make a catch and then turn around to run forward all in one motion. If dak can get that ball out to Zeke like manning does to Barkley. Look out! I feel Dak waits to long sometimes to give it to Zeke. He is a check down but at the same time Zeke is a weapon. If Dak can allow Zeke to run full speed and at an angle where he can hit the soft zone and hit Zeke with a pass that he has the ball early to make a move on a defender, I feel Zeke can turn a 5 yard catch into a 15 yard reception, but he has to hit Zeke going full speed toward the soft spot. I'll be at the game. I feel we can and will win. The Seahawks are battle tested they have all the experience, they have the superbowl QB and Coach, an upcoming young defense. If we bring our best game I feel we win

Praxit

Reaction score

..exactly, what we thought we would see. Coop would get doubled, leaving someone open. Dak taking advantage. Cooper effect, indeed. Now I think, we have a game named Jaws that will need some butter too.