The Boys have been so lucky for so long

burmafrd

Reaction score
as regards the QB. No Franchise since the 60's has had so many good or great QB's as we did. Meredtih, MOrton, Staubach, White, Aikman. They all were either good or great. We only had a few years between white and AIkman; this has been the longest dry spell in Franchise History for us. Look at other teams. How many top QB's have the Skins had? Jurgenson and Theisman were their best. Since Theisman they have had only spot players like Williams for a year and Rypien for a year that were really good. Giants- since Simms they have not had a really good QB untill MAYBE now. Before Simms? Philthy had Jaworski- not bad. Cunningham was pretty good. McFlabb is their best and he is not great. Look over the NFL and name another team with such a succession of quality QB's. ANd ALL of ours were DRAFTED.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
burmafrd;1124138 said:
as regards the QB. No Franchise since the 60's has had so many good or great QB's as we did. Meredtih, MOrton, Staubach, White, Aikman. They all were either good or great. We only had a few years between white and AIkman; this has been the longest dry spell in Franchise History for us. Look at other teams. How many top QB's have the Skins had? Jurgenson and Theisman were their best. Since Theisman they have had only spot players like Williams for a year and Rypien for a year that were really good. Giants- since Simms they have not had a really good QB untill MAYBE now. Before Simms? Philthy had Jaworski- not bad. Cunningham was pretty good. McFlabb is their best and he is not great. Look over the NFL and name another team with such a succession of quality QB's. ANd ALL of ours were DRAFTED.

I don't understand what the point of this post is, unless the last line, about being drafted is a knock on Romo. But keep in mind.. that in todays' NFL, Roger would not have been drafted.. he went in the 10th round. Since Bill said the other day that Romo had a draft grade, in the 6 or 7th rd, he is actually vauled higher than Roger back in the day.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Wrong.
Roger was supposed to be staying in the NAVY for 4 years, That is why he was not drafted earlier. If not for that, he would have been a first rd pick. Or at the least a 2nd.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I don't know why you got your panties in a twist. There are a lot more so called FRIVOLUS threads on this board then mine. My point is all those crying about our QB situation need to get a little more common sense. AS I ILLUSTRATED, there is probably no franchise in the NFL that has had the kind of luck the boys have had with QB's in our history. AND all of them were drafted. Romo just might be the first to be good that was not drafted or brought in as a FA. BLedsoe actually did a decent job last year. This year he plain sucked.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
burmafrd;1124207 said:
I don't know why you got your panties in a twist. There are a lot more so called FRIVOLUS threads on this board then mine. My point is all those crying about our QB situation need to get a little more common sense. AS I ILLUSTRATED, there is probably no franchise in the NFL that has had the kind of luck the boys have had with QB's in our history. AND all of them were drafted. Romo just might be the first to be good that was not drafted or brought in as a FA. BLedsoe actually did a decent job last year. This year he plain sucked.

Well Bledsoe did a decent job for half of last year.

It was the same scenario as with Carter under Parcells.

First half of the season, pretty good. Second half, the league caught up.

And I agree. We've been spoiled. I wonder what those people who were actually booing Aikman are thinking now?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Frankly DB did a good job most of last season until both Tucker and Petitti started to stink badly. The last few games of the season was really sad. Carolina was an abberation.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Juke99;1124212 said:

And I agree. We've been spoiled. I wonder what those people who were actually booing Aikman are thinking now?

That has been a trend, now with a new QB its ALMOST like starting new again. Here's to a great 2nd half of the season with a NEW QB that the leauge hasn't caught up too.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
burmafrd;1124138 said:

Now we know what the hell the Detriots of the world feel like. Hopefully Romo ends the drought. The thing is you have to suck bad or give up a ton of draft picks to get a high #1 QB.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think that DB could have done a good job for us all season long if the O line had been able to pass block the last part of the season like it did the first part. Now I think in the playoffs we would have gotten owned the first time we ran into a quality D line, but we would have been there.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Jarv;1124242 said:
That has been a trend, now with a new QB its ALMOST like starting new again. Here's to a great 2nd half of the season with a NEW QB that the leauge hasn't caught up too.

If nothing else, Romo will be MUCH less predictable than Bledsoe was. The defense knew where Bledsoe was going to be on every play.

Romo will also allow us to get Witten out into the passing game rather than staying back for max protect.

Now, if he protects the ball. Great.

If not. It's back to the drawing board...and Parcells being shipped out on an iceberg.

burmafrd

Reaction score
IT really depends on how the first 3-5 picks end up this year. Some of the teams that will be down there like Texas and Tenn have young QB's. Even Oakland might not be in the market if their young one looks good. Miami is probably the prime candidate right now to go for Quinn. GB, SF probably won't. Detroit- now there is another that might be looking.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Juke99;1124212 said:

That in itself should demonstrate how predictable Parcells schemes' are. Once you see some film, take it to the bank.

I don't know about you guys, but I want the next great QB, if it turns out to be Romo, fine, but I'll still want a QB in the 1st.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
noshame;1124258 said:
That in itself should demonstrate how predictable Parcells schemes' are. Once you see some film, take it to the bank.

I don't know about you guys, but I want the next great QB, if it turns out to be Romo, fine, but I'll still want a QB in the 1st.

Ya know, not for nuthin' but I was watching the Monday night Cowboy game from 4 years ago...the Cundiff 7 FG game.

Our offense was SO much less predictable in that game.

We utilized 3Wide...Galloway, Glenn and Bryant. And it gave the Giants fits.

There was a different energy...faster paced. And Carter, for all his faults, could at least move in the pocket.

Sometimes the personnel make you predictable. How unpredictable can ya be with a telephone poll at QB?

As an aside, that was when I still truly liked Parcells. He was roaming that sideline...didn't stand still for two seconds...and I'm not kidding. Every shot of him was on the move.

It's all so different now.

Hopefully, Romo will give this team (and coach) some life. It's drastically needed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Forgot about Cleveland. They would probably be in the market as well. Crennel knows Weis real well, so he would probably be more then willing to grab Quinn.