The Count's Mock #2: Upset Special

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
1. Brandon Spikes - Height: 6-3 | Weight: 256 | Position: ILB
We all saw, this year, the importance of having a second playmaker next to James and I don't think that after this, you'll see us take the position for granted again. I don't know how much time Brooking has, but I think it's highly likely we bring in his replacement this year. Spikes is a freak of an athlete and can be a bit mean spirited, but as long as he plays within the rules, I like the nastiness. Most notably, even with his size, he is good in coverage. I think even if Iupati is on the board, we will give Spikes a long look if he's around.

2. Jerome Murphy - Height: 6-1 | Weight: 191 | Position: FS/CB
I'll stick with Murphy as my round 2 pick because of his versatility and his ability to play special teams. As I said before, he's a tackling machine and smart and since he has so much experience at CB, he can certainly match up man to man. Since Hamlin isn't going anywhere, he could come in on select packages or in the case of injury, move to nickel.

3. Rodger Saffold - Height: 6-5 | Weight: 306 | Position: OT
Instead of drafting a guard in the first and seeing if he can play tackle at a date yet to be determined, we just take a LT right off the bat. Saffold actually has real experience at LT, and although he's not as big as the guys we tend to prefer he has been great thus far in the off season and is raising his draft stock. Looked good in both run blocking and pass protection. Good value in the 3rd.

4. John Jerry - Height: 6-5 | Weight: 350 | Position: OG
Some people don't like John Jerry, heck if I know why. I see him as being in the same vein as a Carl Nicks. I'd be perfectly wasn't this behemoth maul people for us in the NFL at LG. But being that he's played tackle, he should have more than adequate footspeed at guard.

6. Clay Harbor - Height: 6-2 | Weight: 250 | Position: FB/TE
I'd love for us to add another WR in the draft, but I don't think it's a priority in the least for staff, especially if we keep Hurd. So here we go and get Deion's replacement. I like Cricket, but Harbor is more in line with what we do with our guys in the backfield. He's got experience at TE so even if he lines up, he can still split out. He's also lined out wide at WR, so he's got a lot of tools at his disposal. He's also got a mean streak, which I like in a fullback.

7. Clifton Geathers - Height: 6-7 | Weight: 281 | Position: DE
I think we'll hang on to a few of our FA DE's, there's even a good chance we sign Spears to a long term deal, in my opinion. At the very least we'll tender him and I'm not so sure a team will want to give us a 2nd rounder for him. If they do, better for us. Geather's is huge at 6'8 and 280, he's about the size of Calias Campbell who now plays in Arizona's 3-4, for what that's worth. I don't like the way he left school (just turned off his phone and disappeared), but the raw talent is there, and for a 7th round pick, completely worth it.

I think we add a UDFA WR and sign a kicker with some experience instead of going with another rookie, so didn't factor them in. I also wanted a special teams ace like Brandon Banks (and would still be happy to see him on the roster) but he doesn't really fit the mold of the type of guys we take.

Thoughts and comments welcome, as usual.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Spikes a 2nd rounder right now.

Idd rather not use a 6th on a FB.

I like John Jerry and Murphy.

I hope we dont eschew a WR b/c of Hurd

Woods

Reaction score
I definitely like Jerry.

His weight was under control - at least at the Senior Bowl - and I think he has the size the Cowboys like.

He should be able to play RG and quite possibly RT as well. In the 4th, he would be a solid pick.

I'm definitely not convinced the Cowboys take an OL in the 1st unless there is real quality at 27.

I don't see JJ reaching anymore. At least not the way the Cowboys did in the days of Quincy Carter, for example.

If JJ and the staff believe that the reason Colombo played so poorly vs Minn was that he wasn't ready given his injury, and that they like Brewster and Free, I can definitely see the Cowboys sticking to their draft board.

Woods

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3266433 said:
Spikes a 2nd rounder right now.

Idd rather not use a 6th on a FB.

I like John Jerry and Murphy.

I hope we dont eschew a WR b/c of Hurd

as an aside, i was just looking at gbnreport.com, and they have Spikes as a 1st rounder.

maybe he's fringe 1st/2nd rounder?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Scott Wright says 2nd round at best right now.

Its still early in this process but he has some catching up to do and probably isnt going to light up the combine

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3266617 said:

Its still early in this process but ue has some catching up to do and probably isnt going to light up the combine

who appointed you head CZ scout?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3266617 said:

Its still early in this process but ue has some catching up to do and probably isnt going to light up the combine

Spikes? Spikes is a 2nd rounder sure but an early one if so. I don't think it's a reach to take him at 27, but that's why I called it the upset special. Especially with two good ILB's on the team.

I don't really care about the combine, to be honest, when it comes to linebackers. As long as he doesn't embarrass himself.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I like John Jerry in the 4th. Not really crazy about the rest of it, but I could live with it.

The Realist

Reaction score
I think it's insane just to go by some web site projection.

Half to make your own projections.

If you are a 3-4 team that needs an inside backer you probably have Spikes as #1 or #2 ILB on board with a bottom of 1 to top of 2 grade.

If you are a Tampa 2 team who needs an ILB you might have Washington graded higher than Spikes.

I always had a high grade on Pouncey and Thomas....even before they announced........projecting.

Loved Veldheer and was taking him in mocks 2-3 range, now he's moving on up.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
#3 and #7 are now officially on me radar..:write: