CFZ The Cowboys all time playoff record; Surely we are due!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have an impressive all time playoff W-L record of 36-30. Amazingly, 31 of those playoff wins were done in 30 years- the 70s, 80s and the 90s, while in the last 22 seasons, we have 5 playoff wins.

Here is a breakdown of the Cowboys playoff accomplishments by decades:
  • 1960s- 1-4
  • 1970s- 14-7 (5 NFC championships, 2 SB wins)
  • 1980s- 5-5 (played in 3 straight NFC championship games, losing all 3)
  • 1990s- 12-5 (3 NFC Championships, 3 SB wins)
  • 2000-09- 1-4
  • 2010-2019- 2-3
  • 2020-2022- 1-2
By century:
  • 20th century: 32 wins/21 losses (in 40 seasons)
  • 21st century: (so far) 4 wins/9 losses (in 23 seasons)
We are way past due for some playoff glory!!!
Will a good roster, good coaching plus some help from Lady Luck finally get us multiple playoff wins in a season?

Aven8

Reaction score
Way over due Bob. If it happens it’s going to be surreal for most of us. Championship runs are generally like that. Gents and Philly’s SB run come to mind on what their fans must have felt.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Way over due Bob. If it happens it’s going to be surreal for most of us. Championship runs are generally like that. Gents and Philly’s SB run come to mind on what their fans must have felt.
We won 32 playoff games in 31 seasons. Since then we’ve won 4 in 23 seasons. That’s just mind boggling when you consider the Cowboys have been very competitive in the regular season most Of the 21st century.

Flamma

Reaction score
We won 32 playoff games in 31 seasons. Since then we’ve won 4 in 23 seasons. That’s just mind boggling when you consider the Cowboys have been very competitive in the regular season most Of the 21st century.
It is sad. That's a front office issue. No other way to put it. But it looks like they're doing a lot better recently.

Speaking of playoffs. I did some digging awhile back. I can't remember the exact results, but I came to one conclusion. I am certain that the Cowboys lost the most playoff games while being favored. This doesn't mean they were the better team, just favored to win by Vegas.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The Cowboys have an impressive all time playoff W-L record of 36-30. Amazingly, 31 of those playoff wins were done in 30 years- the 70s, 80s and the 90s, while in the last 22 seasons, we have 5 playoff wins.

Here is a breakdown of the Cowboys playoff accomplishments by decades:
  • 1960s- 1-4
  • 1970s- 14-7 (5 NFC championships, 2 SB wins)
  • 1980s- 5-5 (played in 3 straight NFC championship games, losing all 3)
  • 1990s- 12-5 (3 NFC Championships, 3 SB wins)
  • 2000-09- 1-4
  • 2010-2019- 2-3
  • 2020-2022- 1-2
By century:
  • 20th century: 32 wins/21 losses (in 40 seasons)
  • 21st century: (so far) 4 wins/9 losses (in 23 seasons)
We are way past due for some playoff glory!!!
Will a good roster, good coaching plus some help from Lady Luck finally get us multiple playoff wins in a season?
What stands out about the 70's is that after Rayfield Wright and Blaine Nye, we rarely had an offensive lineman get to the Pro Bowl. Both Wright and Nye were gone after 1976, yet from 1977-79 Roger, up there in years for that time (age 35,36,37) led this team to the Super Bowl twice (one win) and to the playoffs the other year with an offensive line without stars. Roger got it done with whoever was on the field.

Troy has been called the ultimate bus driver by some. Yes, he has a load of talent to work with, but bus drivers don't win three Super Bowls.

Today, we have what could be the #1 defense in the NFL, an offensive line that while not deep, is among the best in the league, a solid WR group, and Pollard, who the pundits are predicting to have a big year. But is the McCarthy/Dak combo the equal of Landry/Roger or Jimmy/Troy? That is what stands out to me.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What stands out about the 70's is that after Rayfield Wright and Blaine Nye, we rarely had an offensive lineman get to the Pro Bowl. Both Wright and Nye were gone after 1976, yet from 1977-79 Roger, up there in years for that time (age 35,36,37) led this team to the Super Bowl twice (one win) and to the playoffs the other year with an offensive line without stars. Roger got it done with whoever was on the field.

Troy has been called the ultimate bus driver by some. Yes, he has a load of talent to work with, but bus drivers don't win three Super Bowls.

Today, we have what could be the #1 defense in the NFL, an offensive line that while not deep, is among the best in the league, a solid WR group, and Pollard, who the pundits are predicting to have a big year. But is the McCarthy/Dak combo the equal of Landry/Roger or Jimmy/Troy? That is what stands out to me.
This is Big Mac’s 4th season. If we don’t get to at least an NFC championship game, it’s probably not going to happen under him period. I like MM but it’s time to win some playoff games. And more than wild card games.

It’s a mystery to all of us how this team can be very competitive in the Reg season, but fizzle out without even winning a divisional game. To me it’s as much mental as talent. This organization has had enough talent go further than it has.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Cowboys are in the top of the league in wins. That means that there are a lot of teams that are due more