The Cowboy's Number One pick in 2010

Reaction score
Offensive Tackle Ciron Black of LSU.

I was really hoping that we would take Will Beatty of UConn in April, and hated it more when the Gints took him instead. We MUST select an offensive tackle to groom behind Flo NOW. Actually, it was yesterday, but they blew that one earlier this year.

Neither Doug Free nor Pat McQuistan are the answer at either position, it seems, or else they would have come in last season when we had injuries at LG. If they can't even fill in at OG, how can they start at LT, the hardest position on the line?

I think we should stick with the strategy of having big, yet mobile offensive linemen. The three I see at the top of the list who are going to be available next draft are:

Ciron Black, OT, LSU, 6-5, 325
Anthoy Davis, OT, Rutgers, 6-6, 330
Sam Young, OT, Notre Dame, 6-8, 330

Davis is a Junior who has obviously not made himself eligible yet.
Of those three, I've only been able to watch Black. However, the other two would have to really blow me away to make me change my mind about Black.

Seriously, this guy is a mauler. I've watched a couple of LSU games this season and plan to watch them against the Gators this weekend. I've watched Trent Williams, OK, Bryan Bulaga, Iowa, and they looked all right, but Black will make a great NFL Left Tackle.

He plays both the run & pass with equal passion (rage?), and plays 'till the END of the whistle. On several run plays, he helped take one guy out, then ran to the next level & took a LB out. Several other times, he was in the secondary blowing guys up.

Against the pass, his guy hardly ever got much push at all. He has great feet for such a big man, and is naturally strong. He's just not satisfied to make the play either. He wants to destroy the man he's playing against. One big bonus is that he has started the last 45 games in a row, beginning in his first game as a freshman, so he's been very durable. Playing in the SEC, he has to play against some of the greatest DEs in the country.

This team needs a player at that position who actually wants to be there, and loves to play the game of football. Football is important to this guy. We won't have to worry about him getting a fat contract, then going through the motions.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Ciron Black is starting to slip a little bit and is now looking like a low 1st or even 2nd rounder. The scouting report on him seems consistent, they see him as a right tackle who may not be athletic enough to play left tackle. One scout compared him to a less athletic Flozell Adams. That scares me.

Long way to go before the draft and we'll find out more about him at the Combine and Team Days. Sam Young also seems to be a right tackle at the NFL level. Anthony Davis has some athleticism but the reports on him are mixed. Some say athletic enough to be a left tackle, some say he could be a dominant guard (sounds like Leonard Davis).

I'm not big on Trent Williams or Charles Brown. They seem too light to play on our line. Russell Okung impressed me but it looks like he'll be a Top 5 pick. Selvish Capers and Bryan Bulaga are left tackles but seem more ideal for zone blocking teams (Atlanta and Denver).

Bruce Campbell is intriguing. He's massive and since Maryland isn't really that good, he is likely to declare early. What worries me is that he has missed a few games with a toe injury and now has a MCL injury.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Ya Chris. Anthony Davis looks like a probowl OG and a decent LT and Black looks a little slow footed. He would get dominated by the little quick pass rushers in the NFL.

I think we should just keep doing what we do best. Sign FA O-lineman when the time comes. We've hit on Columbo,Davis and Kosier. We cannot draft O-lineman to save our life. Admit that your not good at it and stay far away from it. Use FA to sign them since that's what we're good at.

Just my 2 cents.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2998669 said:
Ya Chris. Anthony Davis looks like a probowl OG and a decent LT and Black looks a little slow footed. He would get dominated by the little quick pass rushers in the NFL.

I think we should just keep doing what we do best. Sign FA O-lineman when the time comes. We've hit on Columbo,Davis and Kosier. We cannot draft O-lineman to save our life. Admit that your not good at it and stay far away from it. Use FA to sign them since that's what we're good at.

Just my 2 cents.

While I agree with what you are saying it sures seems like an expensive option. Why not just address what evaluation process we have used in grading offensive linemen and fix that? Whatever scout or scouts convinced the Cowboys to take Jacob Rogers, James Marten, Stephen Peterman with high draft picks need to be re-evaluated. We are clearly seeing or not seeing something important.

I love the guys we got in the 2008 Draft but I hate the fact that it's success has convinced Jerry he knows what he is doing and led to the 2009 Draft fiasco.

Reaction score
Chris, I agree with you on the draft process. You can't just say, "Well, we suck at drafting OLs, so let's empty the bank on overpriced FAs". That makes no freaking sense. What we have to do is bring in better talent evaluators & give them more say so. Of course, that won't happen as long as JJ is alive.

I don't agree with your assessment of Black. I didn't see him give up one sack in the games I've seen him play. I would rather have a player who gives his all & then some who might just need work in his technique, then get a player of Flo's immense talent who just goes through the motions.

Most of the other OTs are either too small, or are RTs, but that's MHO.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I would love Ciron Black at RT, but it looks like Robert Brewster is our guy there

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Sam Young has been playing RT this year at ND

yea Chis I heard that Cambell hurt his MCl

OLT Bruce Campbell hasn't officially been ruled out of Saturday's game, but odds aren't great that he'll play against Wake Forest. Paul Pinegar would move to left tackle if he can't go.

Matt Reynolds*, BYU - Height: 6-6. Weight: 320 Jr
Nate Solder, Colorado (6-9, 305)
Jason Fox, Miami Height: 6-6. Weight: 302
Mike Tepper, California Height: 6-6. Weight: 324

all possibles

heres three I am will be watching at the combine

OT Jared Veldheer, Hillsdale (6-8, 321)
Veldheer looks like a star at Division-II Hillsdale College in Michigan. He’s a 6-8, 321-pound tackle who not only has the power to consistently destroy defenders in the run game, he also showcases impressive athletic ability and is said to run a sub-4.9 40. There aren’t too many offensive tackles at any level with this kid’s combination of size and speed, and he’s got enough upside to intrigue the scouting community

OT DEREK HARDMAN, EASTERN KENTUCKY
HEIGHT: 6’6
WEIGHT: 300
EXPECTED 40 TIME: 5.15
2009 STATS: Not Available
POSITIVES: Very athletic kid with good feet. Good size. High upside.
NEGATIVES: Arm length and technique.
PROJECTION: Has done well early in the season and his performance at Indiana could guarantee himself a spot at the combine and a postseason all-star game as he showed he belongs with the big boys. Late round projection

OT TONY WASHINGTON, ABILENE CHRISTIAN
HEIGHT: 6’6
WEIGHT: 300
EXPECTED 40 TIME: 5.15
2009 STATS: Not Available
POSITIVES: Highly athletic player with a mean streak. Has high upside.
NEGATIVES: Needs to become more consistent as he occasionally takes plays off. Technique.
PROJECTION: He landed at ACU for a reason and that reason could give him a mid round ceiling. Should land in the 4th or 5th round.