The Cowboy's Real Draft Value

plasticman

Reaction score
There are 32 teams in the NFL and so a draft without compensatory picks would have 7 rounds of 32 picks, one from each team for a total of 224 players drafted. The last pick would be the 32nd pick of the 7th round.

However, compensatory picks have inflated the draft to 263 players. This has diluted draft value because our perception of a 5th round pick, for example, is still tied to the value of a traditional draft.

To clarify what I am saying, I have redrawn the draft rounds to reflect each round with exactly 32 picks.

I have taken away the original rounds and reassigned them based on a 32 team per round draft.

For example, the overall 33rd pick will be the first pick in the 2nd round as it is now. The 161st pick in the draft will, however, be considered the 1st pick in the 6th round because

32 X 5 = 160.....a traditional draft would have picked 160 players through five rounds.

So the Cowboys have the following picks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

24, 1st round

56, 2nd round

88, 3rd round

128, 4th round

155, 5th round

167, 5th round

176, 5th round

178, 5th round

192, 6th round

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual value, based on 32 pick rounds:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

24, 1st round, 24th pick

56, 2nd round, 24th pick

88, 3rd round, 24th pick

128, 4th round, 32nd pick

155, 5th round, 27th pick

167, 6th round, 7th pick

176, 6th round, 16th pick

178, 6th round, 18th pick

192, 6th round, 32nd pick

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The last pick of the draft at #263 would actually be the 7th pick in the 9th round..

Notice how the perceived value of the Cowboys draft picks of four 5th round picks and one 6th round pick are actually equal to one 5th round pick and four 6th round picks with the 4th pick and the last 6th pick being the last picks in a 32 team round.

Technically, you couldn't even say the draft has "rounds" any more because that would imply equal distribution among teams in an orderly fashion. Plugging in extra picks that are unequal in number per round pushes down the value of those picks following the compensatory picks including the remaining compensatory picks. If a team gets a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round then, at #97, it's not really a 3rd round pick.

The bottom line is that, due to this faulty numbering system, we have a tendency to place too many expectations on players beyond the 3rd round. I used to think that a 5th round pick should be expected to make the team with more of a 50-50 chance for 6th and 7th rounders. However, when half of the 5th round picks are actually 6th round picks if you look at 32 picks representing a rounds, th eexpectations should be lowered somewhat