CFZ The Cowboys Should Prepare Receiver Room, as if CD were Injured

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In the NFL, it's next man up, as they say.

We saw Dak go down in 2022, and the team held up.

Cooper Rush stepped in, made a name for himself, and led the team to 4 victories over 5 games.

Rush was the next man up, and that's great work by a backup quarterback. It would earn many at least a chance at a starting job.

But we're not talking about Cooper Rush here; we're talking about Cee Dee Lamb.

I'm not trying to jinx anyone here, but let's say Cee Dee Lamb were to go down.

Could the Cowboys survive?

There aren't many things more true for the Cowboys during the 2023 season: the Cowboys need help at WR if they're going to compete with the big dogs going in to 2023. Some will inevitably bring up Amari Cooper, and that's fine. But it's also spilled milk.

The question now is more about what they can do now. And the answer should be to build it up with enough talent that it could not only survive without Lamb, but possibly thrive without Lamb.

Of course, there's Jalen Tolbert. And only the Cowboys know what they've got there.

But let's be honest. If they thought Jalen Tolbert could be the answer, he likely would have seen the field at least a little bit more in 2022. And the stars just never aligned for Tolbert. I still like the possibility of Tolbert improving. And the same goes for Fehoko. But I just never saw enough from those guy to give me confidence. Although I did notice Fehoko getting open during games, and I just never saw that from Tolbert, unless I'm missing something, outside of preseason.

Also, when the press and fans were raving about Dennis Houston not only making the team, but cracking the starting lineup, that should have lit a fire under Tolbert to go take the job from Houston, who could also use the rookie excuse being that he was an UDFA trying to fight his way on the team.

That should have been the spark that catalyzed things for Tolbert.

It just never was.

And Fehoko has pretty much always been sort of the Miles Austin project.

So, how do you build your WR room for 2023?

I'd argue you account for at least three guys being in it. Cee Dee Lamb, and Noah Brown both played better than many thought they would, and I'd say Brown at least earned a shot to come back to camp next year to compete. Then there was Gallup who, I think, improves a lot next year.

Many have expressed they would rather see the Cowboys bring in new players rather than see Brown return. But how much can you rebuild in an off-season? It's good to have continuity and veteran guys with your team. And for the right price, I'd say Noah Brown should be part of this team next year, at the very least as a ST guy and #4 or 5 in your WR room.

But that leaves 3-4 roster spots open. Even if the team only keeps 5 WRs (not counting Turpin), that's two roster spots wide open at the receiver position.

Not only that. While we kind of know what we have with Cee Dee, Gallup, and Brown.

How much do we really know about Tolbert and Fehoko?

The other guy who was supposed to be in the mix last year, James Washington, got injured in camp. And once he worked his way back from injury, he never really contributed anything before he was ultimately cut, which doesn't bode well for his chances of coming back this year.

So the Cowboys have some work to do. Even if they only figure adding one WR through the draft, they need to be as sure as sure can be on the player they choose. I actually expect the chances are high that they'll take a wide receiver in round 1. There's not many players you're going to get outside of the first 40 picks who'll give your team a chance to make a playoff run if, Heaven forbid, something like an injury to Lamb were to happen. I would even argue you can justify taking two WRs in this draft.

But I'd be sure to get one you really like in round 1.

Not only that, the free agent market on wide receivers looks pretty thin, although it's not completely void of talent, so there's that.

Whatever they do, the talent they add should be a level of talent that can fit in with the guys we have now Lamb, Brown, Gallup, and Tolbert, and that talent should be someone with the ability to help us win games as a number 1 level of talent.

Adding top-notch wide receiver talent would be the most effective route to improving the team as much as possible to compete with the Eagles and 9ers next year.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

Cooper Rush stepped in, made a name for himself, and led the team to 4 victories over 5 games.

Rush was the next man up, and that's great work by a backup quarterback. It would earn many at least a chance at a starting job.

There aren't many things more true for the Cowboys during the 2023 season: the Cowboys need help at WR if they're going to compete with the big dogs going in to 2023. Some will inevitably bring up Amari Cooper, and that's fine. But it's also spilled milk.

The question now is more about what they can do now. And the answer should be to build it up with enough talent that it could not only survive without Lamb, but possibly thrive without Lamb.

Of course, there's Jalen Tolbert. And only the Cowboys know what they've got there.

But let's be honest. If they thought Jalen Tolbert could be the answer, he likely would have seen the field at least a little bit more in 2022. And the stars just never aligned for Tolbert. I still like the possibility of Tolbert improving. And the same goes for Fehoko. But I just never saw enough from those guy to give me confidence. Although I did notice Fehoko getting open during games, and I just never saw that from Tolbert, unless I'm missing something, outside of preseason.

Also, when the press and fans were raving about Dennis Houston not only making the team, but cracking the starting lineup, that should have lit a fire under Tolbert to go take the job from Houston, who could also use the rookie excuse being that he was an UDFA trying to fight his way on the team.

It just never was.

I'd argue you account for at least three guys being in it. Cee Dee Lamb, and Noah Brown both played better than many thought they would, and I'd say Brown at least earned a shot to come back to camp next year to compete. Then there was Gallup who, I think, improves a lot next year.

Many have expressed they would rather see the Cowboys bring in new players rather than see Brown return. But how much can you rebuild in an off-season? It's good to have continuity and veteran guys with your team. And for the right price, I'd say Noah Brown should be part of this team next year, at the very least as a ST guy and #4 or 5 in your WR room.

But that leaves 3-4 roster spots open. Even if the team only keeps 5 WRs (not counting Turpin), that's two roster spots wide open at the receiver position.

Not only that. While we kind of know what we have with Cee Dee, Gallup, and Brown.

How much do we know about Tolbert and Fehoko?
The other guy who was supposed to be in the mix last year, James Washington, got injured in camp. And once he worked his way back from injury, he never really contributed anything before he was ultimately cut, which doesn't bode well for his chances of coming back this year.

So the Cowboys have some work to do. Even if they only figure adding one WR through the draft, they need to be as sure as sure can be on the player they choose. I actually expect the chances are high that they'll take a wide receiver in round 1. There's not many players you're going to get outside of the first 40 picks who'll give your team a chance to make a playoff run if, Heaven forbid, something like an injury to Lamb were to happen. I would even argue you can justify taking two WRs in this draft.

Not only that, the free agent market on wide receivers looks pretty thing, although it's not completely void of talent, so there's that.
Whatever they do, the talent they add should be a level of talent that can fit in with the guys we have now Lamb, Brown, Gallup, and Tolbert, and that talent should be someone with the ability to help us win games as a number 1 level of talent.

Adding top-notch wide receiver talent would be the most effective route to improving the team as much as possible to compete with the Eagles and 9ers next year.
I would sign D J Chark and draft the receiver from Cincinnati along with either Mayer or Musgrave at tight end.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would sign D J Chark and draft the receiver from Cincinnati along with either Mayer or Musgrave at tight end.
My favorite receiver so far is Flowers. I just think he would add an element this offense needs.

By the way, you're talking Tyler Scott?

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It just never was.

Not only that, the free agent market on wide receivers looks pretty thin, although it's not completely void of talent, so there's that.

You put a lot into that post. Thanks. I can’t argue with your approach. I beat the drum for trying to build elite O and D lines and think that helps all other position groups but I like your approach. Well done.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

It just never was.

If CeeDee gets hurt, we are screwed at wide receiver.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You put a lot into that post. Thanks. I can’t argue with your approach. I beat the drum for trying to build elite O and D lines and think that helps all other position groups but I like your approach. Well done.
I would like to see them draft a guy like Flowers, and also add a WR like Chark, something along those lines.

I also like building the lines. But you need fire power, imo. As far as TE, like Rambo was mentioning, I think Tucker Kraft would be the ideal TE to replace Schultz, and a player like that could do it from day 1.

IMO, probably the best TE in the draft. Perfect player to up your game against the 9ers and Iggies.

rambo2

Reaction score
My favorite receiver so far is Flowers. I just think he would add an element this offense needs.

By the way, you're talking Tyler Scott?

Yes, Tyler Scott. I think that he is 47 on Dane Brugler's board.

TheCritic

Reaction score
While it's always smart to have a backup plan in life, in reality most NFL teams prefer to just "wing it" and not worry about players until they are broken. All that off-season planning stuff you see on the internet is just for show.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to see them draft a guy like Flowers, and also add a WR like Chark, something along those lines.

I also like building the lines. But you need fire power, imo. As far as TE, like Rambo was mentioning, I think Tucker Kraft would be the ideal TE to replace Schultz, and a player like that could do it from day 1.

IMO, probably the best TE in the draft. Perfect player to up your game against the 9ers and Iggies.

No argument. I like the TE thinking. I think the TE is more appealing to Dak when he drops back so why not add real weaponry there. For some reason it feels like a good vet WR is the best bet if possible. Not breaking the bank though. I wonder is Hopkins from Ariz will be asking for the moon. I want a good vet in the receiver room.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Cee Dee doubters seem to be scarce these days . Everything the Cowboys hoped they were getting as a first round pick has turned out , Be prepared to pay him .

Someone mentioned DJ Chalk . Like him , seems to have injury issues . Would rather go the draft route at this position rather then FA

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
I’m hoping for an OL selection in round 1, but you make a solid case for the right receiver.

@LatinMind proposed draft selections earlier today as part of a thread he generated. He listed Jonathan Mingo as a 2nd round receiver selection. I’d be completely tickled with this guy in the 2nd. If AJ Brown and Deebo had a baby – this would be him.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’m hoping for an OL selection in round 1, but you make a solid case for the right receiver.

@LatinMind proposed draft selections earlier today as part of a thread he generated. He listed Jonathan Mingo as a 2nd round receiver selection. I’d be completely tickled with this guy in the 2nd. If AJ Brown and Deebo had a baby – this would be him.

I think we can survive if an offensive lineman goes down.

I just don't think we can survive someone like Lamb.. Even if Gallup or Brown went down, that would be a big blow to the team as it stands now. So, yeah, we need WRs.

Also, Mingo is one of my favorite WRs in this draft. I can see him rising. But I'd also be happy about him as a later pick. He looks pretty NFL ready, to me. But I also thought that about Tolbert.

If we're talking Zay Flowers, though, no doubt in my mind he can start day 1.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
For the record, I see Mingo as a #1 or 2 type WR. But he definitely has game, and will definitely rise.

Zay Flowers is a only a #1 type of WR. Like an Edeleman..

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I think we can survive if an offensive lineman goes down.

I just don't think we can survive someone like Lamb.. Even if Gallup or Brown went down, that would be a big blow to the team as it stands now. So, yeah, we need WRs.

Also, Mingo is one of my favorite WRs in this draft. I can see him rising. But I'd also be happy about him as a later pick. He looks pretty NFL ready, to me. But I also thought that about Tolbert.

If we're talking Zay Flowers, though, no doubt in my mind he can start day 1.
Mingo was the lead wr on a top 10 team. Tolbert was the top wr on a small school. Big difference

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They need a receiver who who can run good routes with speed but they won't target one cause they too enamored with bigger WR's. As far as TE's go, there are more important issues that need to be addressed unless one is clearly the best player left far above the rest. I say that because how they use TE's has much more to do about system than player and I do not know if that will change this year.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Idk why the panic like Gallup didn't just come off a bad injury. A healthy Gallup gets you 1000 yrds and them great catches. He'll return back to form in 2024. I think MM is going to use Turpin this yr with the wc offense. Kellen has plays meant for today's game, but the guy still sees the field like a backup qb. It's like he called plays thinking the qb had his same noodle arm.