The difference between Parcells and Reid

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Interesting debate on another forum:
Started by JryBfree a Cowboy fan:

When asked today if T.O was going to play Monday night BIll's answer was a definite no.When asked if there was anything he could see that would change his mind between now and monday Bill's answer was a definite no.

To everyone who kept wondering how or if Bill could handle Owens this is how you do it. By keeping to his standard of "I need to see it" Bill has quietly laid down the rule of if you want the chance to play on sunday then you need prove it in practice.

The whole episode the past couple of weeks of hamstring or no hamstring is irrelevent. Say what you want about T.O. playing possum because he didn't want to practice and all that. Say what you want about how it was getting to Bill.

The final truth of the situation is that even though Owens started practicing again because one,he was told to by Bill, or two, he wanted to get back so he could have his stage to play on monday night. he wont be doing anything but watching from the sideline.

You want to send a message to T.O. thats how its done. Even though its just a preseason game the message is still there,you have to show it in practice before you are given the chance to show it on sunday. To a player like T.O. that craves the spotlight and attention,that a powerful message because for T.O. to be T.O. he needs to have those television cameras on him on sunday.

By not playing Owens monday,Bill has started the little voice in T.O.'s head thats says "I need to show this guy he can rely on me,or he wont when it really counts".Now that doesn't mean that T.O. is worried about being cut or benched, but he will start to wonder how big of a role he will be counted on when gametime arrives. And for a player like T.O the bigger the role the better. That is Bill's coaching style. Its what is going to put him in the HOF.
=============================
Philly fan:

The final truth of the situation is that even though Owens started practicing again because one,he was told to by Bill,or two,he wanted to get back so he could have his stage to play on monday night.he wont be doing anything but watching from the sideline.You want to send a message to T.O. thats how its done>>>>>>>>>

So far, T.O. has gotten most of what he wants, and BP has gotten none of what he wants. So how is BP better at handling T.O. than Reid was? T.O. got to sit out a good deal of training camp and doesn't give a crap about preseason games- he's getting what he wants. BP, on the other hand, has not gotten anything productive out of "this player" to date. Nothing. "This player" was a spectacle at training camp and will sit on the bench, missing a second preseason game. Someone please explain to me how this is working out to Parcell's advantage.

Duane

Reaction score
Interesting take by JryBfree but it's almost unreadable because of the large block of text. Paragraphs should learn to be his friend.

hogwild

Reaction score
The difference between them is Reid actually knows something
about Offense. As much as that hurts me to say.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
not really an argument to me because if it were 9/10 in Jacksonville, Terrell would be playing, practice or no practice.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
hogwild said:
The difference between them is Reid actually knows something
about Offense. As much as that hurts me to say.

Or that one knows how to win a Super Bowl and the other doesn't.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
not really an argument to me because if it were 9/10 in Jacksonville, Terrell would be playing, practice or no practice.

You think so ?

hogwild

Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Or that one knows how to win a Super Bowl and the other doesn't.
Yeah, get a good kicker...It only took him 3 yrs to do that here :confused:

booker

Reaction score
Great another fifty kicks in the arse for me for reading another TO article.:eek::

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I happen to be of the opinion that anyone who thinks Parcells is sitting T.O. for this preseason game as some sort of message or to show who's in charge is just out in right field playing in the dirt.

This is what it is...a player with a hurt hamstring finally makes it out to his first few practices...even if his name were Crayton, what coach would play him in the game and risk a setback? By T.O.'s own admission, his legs are tired and his hammy is still a little sore...duh.

Any chance of winning the NFC East with our offense, an offense with plenty to prove everywhere but TE and maybe QB (though he needs better than average protection), rests on T.O. being the force at WR that we haven't had in years.

Preseason is preseason, and usually only 1 game is played for keeps (the one coming up) and then the first half of the final tuneup...this is not a message or a battle between T.O. and Parcells...idiocy...it's a coach who's frustrated that his #1 weapon is injured and a player who knows what's riding on his regular season performance for both himself and the Cowboys, a player who wants to make sure he doesn't end up playing at 80% during the season.

Give it a break, guys....we're starting to sound just like the media we criticize...T.O. not playing means absolutely nothing this week except that he's still not at full strength, nor in football shape yet...I can assure you T.O. is relieved that Parcells isn't pushing him out on the field...do you really think T.O. is upset about not playing this week? I think he's relieved as hell, which would be true of about 80% of veteran players, even the healthy ones.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds to me like another bitter Eagle fan, will not admit that maybe, just maybe, someone can put TO in his place. They want TO to tear this team apart, just like the media wants him to. And the NFL world hates it, because he's a Cowboy now, and the media hates on Dallas. And at the same time, they know how much a difference he can make for us, and a possible SB run.

So Dallas will be in the spotlight all season long.
They can't stand it....but we are loving it.....:D

Mansta54

Reaction score
jazzcat22 said:
Sounds to me like another bitter Eagle fan, will not admit that maybe, just maybe, someone can put TO in his place. They want TO to tear this team apart, just like the media wants him to. And the NFL world hates it, because he's a Cowboy now, and the media hates on Dallas. And at the same time, they know how much a difference he can make for us, and a possible SB run.

So Dallas will be in the spotlight all season long.
They can't stand it....but we are loving it.....:D

I know I am!!!:laugh2:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gryphon said:
So far, T.O. has gotten most of what he wants, and BP has gotten none of what he wants. So how is BP better at handling T.O. than Reid was? T.O. got to sit out a good deal of training camp and doesn't give a crap about preseason games- he's getting what he wants. BP, on the other hand, has not gotten anything productive out of "this player" to date. Nothing. "This player" was a spectacle at training camp and will sit on the bench, missing a second preseason game. Someone please explain to me how this is working out to Parcell's advantage.
His name is "That Player" not "This Player"

:lmao:

-Reality

silver

Reaction score
what the media doesn't seem to realize is that this is a meaningless preseason game. a game where backups and marginal players such as the all time greats jamaica rector and junior glymph get the spotlight. this is not a game for established veterans such as michael vick or clinton portis to risk injury. to me this is a win win situation for BP and TO. BP supposedly sends a message to TO and TO gets what's he wants which is to save himself from injury. jamaica and junior get the spotlight.

next week at home is a different issue. that will be the dress rehearsal for jacksonville

Cowchips

Reaction score
Ok..so let's look at key differences.

Parcells is a stronger coach than Reid and has a history of taming high strung players like LT, Brian Cox, Terry Glenn and Keyshawn.

Parcells doesnt have a primadonna quarterback that needs to be in the spotlight and gets jealous if other players are considered more important to the teams success. Or that come to the SB either hungover or scared and start pukin' all over the sidelines.

Parcells has a quarterback that won't run and hide behind Parcells apron if TO confronts him (they did have to restrain Bledsoe from going after Key last year afterall). It took them 10 plays to convince McBaby to come out from behind the stands when TO confronted him. That must have really impressed the other players.

All in all, I would say I trust Parcells and Bledsoe a hell of lot more than Reid and McBaby to manage TO effectively.