CFZ The Difference Between Rush and Dak

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
How have the Cowboys won all three games started by Cooper Rush since 2021? I rewatched the Monday Night game and it just hit me out of nowhere. The playcalling stands out.

Not saying Kellen Moore has been perfect here by any stretch of the imagination, but overall he has done a great job of allowing Rush to play within himself, manage the game, and make enough big throws to keep defenses honest. While I take nothing away from Rush, how many times have the Cowboys achieved such great run-pass balance with Prescott in the lineup?

Let me use one play as an example: the 3rd and 12 toss sweep to Zeke that gained a first down. That was a smart play on so many levels. The fact it was executed perfectly against the defense the Giants were in was a bonus. But even if Zeke only got four or five yards, it was a safe call that kept the ball out of harms way and would have given Dallas more room to punt if it failed.

But what if Dak was out there? They most likely would have been in a five wide formation with nobody in the backfield; exposing a rookie like Tyler Smith or an inexperienced Matt Farniok to deal with a potential blitzer that would have put Dak under instant pressure and it likely would have led to an imcompletion, sack, or pick. Then the anti Dak crowd would have had a field day.

The problem now is the longer Rush has to play the chances of him being less effective increase. Teams are getting film of him now and sooner or later defenses are going to start taking away what he does best. When that happens, let's see what Kellen Moore can dial up. Because even I have been blaming Moore for everything, and now I think he deserves a little more credit than most are giving him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
you do know that Rush audibled into that run on 3rd and 12 right?

Then even more credit to Rush. Like I said I take nothing away from him and I hope he keeps it up, it's just that the Cowboys try to get so much out of Dak it's hurting them. I am a Dak fan but I am not blind to his limitations.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The run game and defense have been outstanding

This past game the run game was key and then the pressure we put on Jones. I was surprised that Jones didn't throw many interceptions which is often results of pressure..

When Dak is back we just need to continue the same. Nothing wrong with that. That's how he was successful in the past.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Is it that play calling has changed or is it that Rush is running the plays called whereas Dak checks out of plays called?

This also could be the case, it's just that the Cowboys are running and passing at a near 50-50 split now and for some reason with Dak in there they throw it 45 times a game sometimes. The Cowboys with Rush are balanced and playing to their strengths.

As long as they win I don't care, but they have something good going now. I am a Dak fan and I don't care if Rush stays in there so long as they keep this up.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is it that play calling has changed or is it that Rush is running the plays called whereas Dak checks out of plays called?
Probably a bit of both, but the OC can always call a Stick with any play....which means that the QB needs to stick with the play called.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
How have the Cowboys won all three games started by Cooper Rush since 2021? I rewatched the Monday Night game and it just hit me out of nowhere. The playcalling stands out.

Not saying Kellen Moore has been perfect here by any stretch of the imagination, but overall he has done a great job of allowing Rush to play within himself, manage the game, and make enough big throws to keep defenses honest. While I take nothing away from Rush, how many times have the Cowboys achieved such great run-pass balance with Prescott in the lineup?

Let me use one play as an example: the 3rd and 12 toss sweep to Zeke that gained a first down. That was a smart play on so many levels. The fact it was executed perfectly against the defense the Giants were in was a bonus. But even if Zeke only got four or five yards, it was a safe call that kept the ball out of harms way and would have given Dallas more room to punt if it failed.

But what if Dak was out there? They most likely would have been in a five wide formation with nobody in the backfield; exposing a rookie like Tyler Smith or an inexperienced Matt Farniok to deal with a potential blitzer that would have put Dak under instant pressure and it likely would have led to an imcompletion, sack, or pick. Then the anti Dak crowd would have had a field day.

The problem now is the longer Rush has to play the chances of him being less effective increase. Teams are getting film of him now and sooner or later defenses are going to start taking away what he does best. When that happens, let's see what Kellen Moore can dial up. Because even I have been blaming Moore for everything, and now I think he deserves a little more credit than most are giving him.

I'm assuming Cooper saw the blitz on the left side and running a sweep right into it is almost the perfect play in that scenario. I don't think Dak ever checks out of a pass there and if that play was already called he would of checked into a pass and who knows if he even see's a blitz coming. Would of been a sack and we would of gotten a close up of Dak's blank stare face with him itching his chin with his chinstrap.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

Same playcalling. Different D reading and audibles.