The draft is a crapshoot....enter Jared Gaither...

Silverstar

Reaction score
Jared Gaither is the Ravens' mammoth 6-9 340lb LT, that replaced future HOF'er Jonathan Ogden. He was taken in the 5th round of the supplemental draft in 2007. He just finished his 3 year contract, which now makes him a RFA and he's only 24 years old. This kid is still young, but he's definitely not raw. He's started 28 regular season games, 5 postseason games already and he still hasn't reached his full potential IMO.

I don't have to tell you what a 1st round tender on a RFA would cost us...I think you know. However, Flo still turns 35 in May and it takes 19 games minimum to reach and win a SB. You saw how Free played LT against Minnesota, he was clearly in over his head and needed Witten to help. If you're mad about losing a 1st and 3rd just remember this, none of our 3rd round picks this low (91?) have ever become starters.

In fact, only 2 players have shown ANY promise at that slot or later in the 3rd round....DB Charlie Williams (91) and DE Jason Hatcher (92).

In short, if Jerry makes this deal we have our LT for the next 10 years! :grin:

BTW...

Since signing his 6 year 45 million contract in February 2008, good ol' Flo has committed 25 penalties for 180 yards including 15 false starts, 6 holding penalties, 2 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for $75,000 in fines and has given up 14.25 sacks for 93 yards.

:clap:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I wanted us to take him in the suplemental as well, but I don't think the Ravens will let him go.

Dallaslullaby

Reaction score
I said this at end of season - I would absolutely do this deal - they cant pay both oher and gaither long term imo

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If teams are hard up for a young talented LT, any team letting one go would have to be nuts.

Silverstar

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3251213 said:
Not a bad idea. I could go for this.

It's a 1st and 3rd though?

If he's given the highest tender...it's 1st and 3rd round compensation

The player's original team maintains the Right of First Refusal and 1st and 3rd round draft compensation (both from the team with which he signs) if the team tenders an offer of one year at $2.792 million OR at least 110% of the player's prior year’s salary -- whichever is greater.
If he's tagged (exclusive or transition)...then yes, it's two 1st rounders :eek::

Here's the timeline...

Feb 1: Beginning of period in which teams can designate ONE additional transition players (CBA Art. LVI, Section 4)
Feb 11: Beginning of period in which teams can designate franchise and transition players
Feb 15: Deadline for designating ONE additional transition players (CBA Art. LVI, Section 4)
Feb 25: Deadline for designating franchise and transition players
Mar 5: New League Year starts, this includes:
- Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to their restricted free agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a right of first refusal/compensation
- Deadline for clubs to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired
- Beginning of free-agent signing period (12:01 AM ET)
- Beginning of trade period (12:01 AM ET)