The Forgotten FSs

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
It seems like everyone here talks about guys like Simpson and Huff, but what about guys like Bullocks or Anthony Smith (my personal favorite)? Good FSs don't always come in the first round, Philly didn't pick up Dawkins until late 2nd/ early 3rd I believe and look how he's turned out. Just something to think about...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
cowboysfan31 said:
It seems like everyone here talks about guys like Simpson and Huff, but what about guys like Bullocks or Anthony Smith (my personal favorite)? Good FSs don't always come in the first round, Philly didn't pick up Dawkins until late 2nd/ early 3rd I believe and look how he's turned out. Just something to think about...
I love Bullocks, but Smith may be a bit too slow for the pro game. I still like him though, but only in the 4th round.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Smith is not a coverage safety and he is too slow. The last thing we need is another FS coverage liabilty.

I am a huge believer of Jason Allen from Tennessee. I follow SEC college football and have seen him a lot. He has injury concerns which will lower his stock. He is about 6'1" 209 lbs and runs a 4.39.

Also there is CB/S Jimmy Smith from Virginia Tech, 6'2" 213 and runs a 4.47. Williams is expected to play FS in the NFL and has played S in college. Both are very good in coverage, are solid tacklers, and have decent speed , and can be had in the second round.

Pokes28

Reaction score
I'm not a Bullocks fan. Yes he looks the part and can run, but I don't like the way he plays. He may be a great FS in the NFL, but when I watch him, I just don't get the feeling he'll do well.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

jbsg02

Reaction score
no one has even mentioned donte whitner, he was a SS in college but could move to FS if need be i think.

fishspill

Reaction score
4.51 at combine. Weight - 199.
That may be the average of forties or something. See sticky re: Combine numbers up top.

J-DOG

Reaction score
jbsg02 said:
no one has even mentioned donte whitner, he was a SS in college but could move to FS if need be i think.
Donte Whitner-5-10, 205lbs, 4.45
STRENGTHS
Very instinctive ballhawk with great closing speed for a safety and shows the ability to come out of his breaks and make plays on the ball. Always around the ball. Has good strength for his size and plays physical. Has a great passion for the game and plays like a coach on the field. Makes quick reads and is moving with the snap. Knows where teammates fit in the defense and has great football intelligence. Very sudden. Is quick to work off blocks and tosses receivers. Makes big plays. Plays fast, fluid and transitions well enough that he might be able to play cornerback. Good eyes and anticipation, which translate into better range than pure speed. Good hitter and open-field tackler. Does not miss many tackles. Tough and competitive. Plays with great confidence and has a swagger.
WEAKNESSES
Does not have prototypical size. Will take some chances and get beaten in coverage by playing too agressively. Is not used a lot in man coverage and can hone his cover-skills and footwork. Had arthroscopic surgery on his knee.
THE WAY WE SEE IT
If Whitner proves he can handle the transition to cornerback in spring workouts his stock will surge. A more fluid and natural coverage defender than 2003 second-rounder Mike Doss, Whitner is similar in stature and run support. More sudden than Panthers 1997 second-rounder Mike Minter and will play on long time in the league. Despite size limitations, has pro-bowl potential as either a free or strong safety and might turn out to be a cornerback.
-ProFootball Draft Guide 2006-

ghst187

Reaction score
jdub2k4 said:
I am a huge believer of Jason Allen from Tennessee. I follow SEC college football and have seen him a lot. He has injury concerns which will lower his stock. He is about 6'1" 209 lbs and runs a 4.39.
QUOTE]
I agree, I also love your draft picks man. I don't think Allen will last very far into the second, neither will McNeil, but a trade down could net such a trio...and wow would I be excited. That's definitely my dream draft right now.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Don't know how many times I have to say this, but Bullocks is not a ballhawking FS. He has NEVER played FS at Nebraska, EVER.

If we were to draft him, expect a big transition and be prepared to take the frustration he will give you during the season trying to play an un-natural position.

jbsg02

Reaction score
BigWillie said:
Don't know how many times I have to say this, but Bullocks is not a ballhawking FS. He has NEVER played FS at Nebraska, EVER.

If we were to draft him, expect a big transition and be prepared to take the frustration he will give you during the season trying to play an un-natural position.

reports from the senior bowl were that he picked off pass after pass in practices

BigWillie

Reaction score
^

From the SS position.

I have watched Daniel start for the last three years at Nebraska (huge Nebraska homer here), but he is not a FS.

As a SS, I would draft him, if we had that need. He will never be a spectacular player, but will be a player over the course of a long career will be VERY solid. As I said before, Daniel will not overly impress with anything, but he won't disappoint you with anything he can do either. He just does everything well. The only fault I find in his game is he will get caught out of position stopping the run on occasion.

If the Cowboys want to give him a run at FS (ala the Woody and Roy combo) then we must be ready to deal with the headaches as well from the transition in this. Bullocks has not played the FS position, so their will be growing pains.