CFZ The Fundamentals of Football still matter

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At its core, football is still a game where the fundamentals matter. The ability to block well, tackle well, and to be more physical (within the rules) than your opponent is still the foundation for long term football success. The teams that control the line of scrimmage usually win. Especially in the playoffs.

Yesterday in Buffalo, we received a major reminder of this fundamental truth. The bills completely dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball, ran the ball 39 times with almost no problem and their defense dominated our OL all day. The bills played sound fundamental football and we did not. It is truly that simple.

We did not lose that game because of “bad play-calling” on offense or not making enough “adjustments“ on defense. We got physically dominated. And that is worse than losing because of just a few plays here and there. That game was over in the second quarter. No great QB or dominant defender could rescue a team from that.

So, IMO, the Cowboys have still not fixed the same flaw that has knocked them out of the playoffs too many times in the last decade: Not being able to counterpunch a physical bully. SF showed us that in our 3 straight losses to them since 2021. Until this team proves they are capable of being able to counterpunch a physical team, that problem will remain our achilles heel.

So Mike McCarthy’s biggest challenge moving forward is to find a way to get this team tougher physically and mentally. This is a still a good football team. But it needs to get tougher and smarter.

Hate to say it, but the Cowboys are soft until proven otherwise in the playoffs. They can still change that narrative in the playoffs but it won’t change until it actually happens.
All that and throwing into a decent zone coverage.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'll tell you what would make this team tougher.

Make training camp more of an entertainment circus and play the rap music over the speaker system a little louder during practice.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Bob get back on the Superbowl wagon you hater. I guess Jerry lost the game yesterday when he went into the fetal position after getting hit once.
Jerry went into the fetal position when he wasn't active at the trade deadline to try and make us more competitive. While other teams were stoking their roster in preparation for the playoffs.

The front office knows who were going to have to face in the end if we want to move further and not preparing to take on that team is preparing to fail AGAIN!!!

How many times do we have to go through groundhog Day with the 49ers before we know the result is not going to be different until we add personnel that can stop what they're doing

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Jerry went into the fetal position when he wasn't active at the trade deadline to try and make us more competitive. While other teams were stoking their roster in preparation for the playoffs.

The front office knows who were going to have to face in the end if we want to move further and not preparing to take on that team is preparing to fail AGAIN!!!

How many times do we have to go through groundhog Day with the 49ers before we know the result is not going to be different until we add personnel that can stop what they're doing
It's not likely it will change. I find it interesting and comical watching guys in here get all wound up thinking this is the year to win the NFC conference. The super bowl has taken a back burner, most people in here and in general will celebrate just winning the conference. smh

Kingofholland

Reaction score
At its core, football is still a game where the fundamentals matter. The ability to block well, tackle well, and to be more physical (within the rules) than your opponent is still the foundation for long term football success. The teams that control the line of scrimmage usually win. Especially in the playoffs.

Yesterday in Buffalo, we received a major reminder of this fundamental truth. The bills completely dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball, ran the ball 39 times with almost no problem and their defense dominated our OL all day. The bills played sound fundamental football and we did not. It is truly that simple.

We did not lose that game because of “bad play-calling” on offense or not making enough “adjustments“ on defense. We got physically dominated. And that is worse than losing because of just a few plays here and there. That game was over in the second quarter. No great QB or dominant defender could rescue a team from that.

So, IMO, the Cowboys have still not fixed the same flaw that has knocked them out of the playoffs too many times in the last decade: Not being able to counterpunch a physical bully. SF showed us that in our 3 straight losses to them since 2021. Until this team proves they are capable of being able to counterpunch a physical team, that problem will remain our achilles heel.

So Mike McCarthy’s biggest challenge moving forward is to find a way to get this team tougher physically and mentally. This is a still a good football team. But it needs to get tougher and smarter.

Hate to say it, but the Cowboys are soft until proven otherwise in the playoffs. They can still change that narrative in the playoffs but it won’t change until it actually happens.
I'm with you on the fundamentals piece it all comes down to the LOS. For the Cowboys there was clearly a lack of effort against the Bills when things got sluggish and lost Martin early and that lack of energy was contagious. When the Cowboys are off their game, they're really off and its up to the coaches to help bring that back which they didn't Sunday.

Quinn and McCarthy did a poor job making adjustments. McCarthy got away from running and quick throws and did nothing to help the offense. Quinn should have stacked the box against the run but kept the same stuff going.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's not likely it will change. I find it interesting and comical watching guys in here get all wound up thinking this is the year to win the NFC conference. The super bowl has taken a back burner, most people in here and in general will celebrate just winning the conference. smh
I for one I'm always hopeful we will get further that the perfect storm will align itself and we will somehow make it over the hump.

But hopeful is all I am because we are never prepared other teams go all in and go the extra mile leaving no stone unturned to try and be prepared we try to get by on bargain basement and budget players. We never push all the chips to this table and go super bowl or bust I believe because Jerry fears the consequences of becoming irrelevant for a couple years.

Knowing this I just try to appreciate the small pieces of good football that our team provides us now and again full well understanding our issues and that they are not going to be attended to.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Toughness is a product of playing with a lead.

The 49ers are "tough" because of the things that Deebo and Kittle do after the catch that make things easier for everyone else.

Play with a lead and all of a sudden you look a lot tougher. Tes, they need to invest more in the OL too.
I actually agree with most of what your saying Mac, in Buffallo "Be tougher" looked alot like "Dont shoot yourself in the foot and go down by 21 points in the first quarter" we had stops we undid those stops, we had drives we undid those drives...What team in this league is built to come back from a 3 TD defecit...even deeper..what team in this league is "Tough" enough to win when the other team gets to play Nickle defense with no worries and use every play in the play book with no worries because they are so far ahead...Don't go down 3 TD's because you change the game so far in the other teams favor your not going to win if they play sound football....

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I actually agree with most of what your saying Mac, in Buffallo "Be tougher" looked alot like "Dont shoot yourself in the foot and go down by 21 points in the first quarter" we had stops we undid those stops, we had drives we undid those drives...What team in this league is built to come back from a 3 TD defecit...even deeper..what team in this league is "Tough" enough to win when the other team gets to play Nickle defense with no worries and use every play in the play book with no worries because they are so far ahead...Don't go down 3 TD's because you change the game so far in the other teams favor your not going to win if they play sound football....
Yea, good post.

I mean I guess the Cowboys got tough at half time because they gave up 21 in the first but only 10 in the second lol.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I also think some draft capital needs to be sunk in some run stuffing talent. At DT and LB.
can't just rely on Overshown either who is undersized we need depth!!!! We need thumpers that can also run around