The Future is Darkening for WR Michael Gallup in Dallas

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The future is darkening for WR Michael Gallup in Dallas​

The veteran’s offensive role is at an all-time low.

By Jess Haynie Dec 10, 2023

Michael Gallup has been a key offensive player for the Dallas Cowboys for most of his career. But with his role now down to an all-time low, Gallup’s future with Dallas beyond this season is looking highly doubtful.

A third-round pick in 2018, Gallup started contributing quickly. As a rookie he had 33 catches for 507 yards, outplaying veteran Allen Hurns and emerging as the third option behind Amari Cooper and Cole Beasley. In fact, other than his first game of that first season, Gallup was never targeted less than twice in any game.

Never, that is, until Weeks 12 and 13 of 2023. Gallup has only received one target in each of Dallas’ last two games. He hasn’t been injured but simply has fallen that far out of the offense in which he was once a prominent figure.

Much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...tract-ceedee-lamb-jalen-tolbert-brandin-cooks

1796905291.0.jpg

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas isn’t prohibited by the dead money from moving on. They could do a clean break and cut him outright, which may only create $800k in cap relief but opens a roster spot and absorbs all of the dead money into one season. Or, and this is more likely, they’ll make Gallup a June-1st cut for $9.5 million in 2024 cap space but a $8.7 dead money hit in 2025.
By the numbers because I know that will come up in this thread.

stiletto

Reaction score
He can't get open anymore, he's slow. Simple as that. The knee was a career ender. He never really had much speed and the injury slowed him just enough to not be effective in the NFL. It's a shame. Liked him as a player/person but time to move off that terrible sympathy contract.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He’s a well liked and respected player by the front office. They’re phasing him out as nicely as possible.

coult44

Reaction score
He can't get open anymore, he's slow. Simple as that. The knee was a career ender. He never really had much speed and the injury slowed him just enough to not be effective in the NFL. It's a shame. Liked him as a player/person but time to move off that terrible sympathy contract.
He’s actually not that far behind our best WR Ceedee in his Burn/Open rate. He’s just not running good enough routes for Dak to want to go his way. It’s really weird because he used to run great routes.

Havic

Reaction score
Promising career as a viable 2 derailed by his injury.

Praxit

Reaction score
He’s actually not that far behind our best WR Ceedee in his Burn/Open rate. He’s just not running good enough routes for Dak to want to go his way. It’s really weird because he used to run great routes.
...I think that's just really it. He cant create enough separation.

If Im Dak, I wouldnt throw it his direction either.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The only thing more certain than Gallup getting cut this off-season, is Dak signing the largest contract in NFL history.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gallup has what a $$13.5 million cap hit next year, and that is also the dead money hit?
Did I look at that right?
Unless a post 6/1 cut. $4.35 million cap hit, saves $9.5 million.

https://overthecap.com/calculator?Team=Cowboys/dallas-cowboys/

He is not getting cut, nor traded unless a post 6/1 cut. Are any other players a possible 6/1 cut?
Has he really as bad as some fans say? I am not so sure. But a handful of fans that scream the loudest must be right. :muttley:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Gallup has what a $$13.5 million cap hit next year, and that is also the dead money hit?
Did I look at that right?
Unless a post 6/1 cut. $4.35 million cap hit, saves $9.5 million.

https://overthecap.com/calculator?Team=Cowboys/dallas-cowboys/

He is not getting cut, nor traded unless a post 6/1 cut. Are any other players a possible 6/1 cut?
Has he really as bad as some fans say? I am not so sure. But a handful of fans that scream the loudest must be right. :muttley:
He really sticks out as the likely post June 1 cut for next year. Only Dak and DLaw have bigger post june 1 cap savings from a cut.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only thing more certain than Gallup getting cut this off-season, is Dak signing the largest contract in NFL history.
I wouldn’t say it’s certain he gets cut. It’s going to depend on his cap hit.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I hope Steel and Lewis don't end up this way. Both have shown signs of recovery. Sometimes I think this stuff is just mental. Maybe at first it was from his injuries, and now it's just mental.

I listen closely to these guys comments in interviews and Gallup never struck me as the alpha you want playing wideout.