The Greatest Decade for Rock Music

triplets_93

Reaction score

Decade, here, meaning --any-- 10 year stretch.

Feb. 10, 1968 - Feb. 10, 1978 gets my Vote. For the music released, and the concert performances presented during that 10 year period.

That beats any other 10 year period of Rock Music that I can think of, according to my musical tastes.

Hardline

Reaction score

Decade, here, meaning --any-- 10 year stretch.

Feb. 10, 1968 - Feb. 10, 1978 gets my Vote. For the music released, and the concert performances presented during that 10 year period.

That beats any other 10 year period of Rock Music that I can think of, according to my musical tastes.
Hard to argue with your time line.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't cross decades to create one, that is just a 10 year span.

Without question, the 70's and it's not even close. In the late 60's the seeds were being sewn for what was to come and Album Oriented Rock became a format, the 2nd music format to arrive on FM after Easy Listening. This cancelled the rule of the length of songs that was always with Top 40 on the AM side. Creativity was unleashed.

It was also the beginning of the forming of sub genres within Rock like Singer/Songwriter: James Taylor, Carole King, Jackson Brown, Country Rock: Eagles, Poco, Marshall Tucker, Blues Rock: Allman Brothers, ZZ Top, Art Rock: Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Moody Blues, Southern Rock: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Elvin Bishop, Heavy Metal: Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Jazz Rock: Steely Dan and just the straight ahead hard edged Rock: Grand Funk, Nugent, Seger and the mid American Rock: Journey, Kansas, REO.

It was the decade of the most wide open music in history and Program Directors and Music Directors threw away the radio programming manual and AOR was flying in free form.

Hardline

Reaction score
There is great music in any decade but it seems like the 70s was just loaded with it.
Disco excluded.

Big_D

Reaction score
I gotta go with the 60s. So many bands that inspired and shaped the future of rock and roll,

The Beatles
The Stones
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Zeppelin
The Who
Fleetwood Mac
Creedence
Heart
Hendrix
The Doors
Cream
ZZ Top
Grateful Dead

.. on and on it goes, But so much great music from that era that laid the foundation for bands like Queen, Van Halen, The Eagles, Aerosmith, Kiss, AC/DC, Rush, Tom Petty etc

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1962, 1967, 1969, 1971, 72, 74, 79, 1981, 1983 and 1988……that is a decade right? :muttley:

But seriously, it has to be the 70’s for rock but the 80’s get my all-around music vote.

triplets_93

Reaction score
I gotta go with the 60s. So many bands that inspired and shaped the future of rock and roll,

The Beatles
The Stones
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Zeppelin
The Who
Fleetwood Mac
Creedence
Heart
Hendrix
The Doors
Cream
ZZ Top
Grateful Dead

.. on and on it goes, But so much great music from that era that laid the foundation for bands like Queen, Van Halen, The Eagles, Aerosmith, Kiss, AC/DC, Rush, Tom Petty etc
I would agree that was music created in the 1960's that served as the Greatest template of any decade!

ESisback

Reaction score
70’s!

Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Rush, Stones, Eagles, AC/DC, ELO, ELP, The Who, CSNY, Jethro Tull, Queen, Tom Petty, Alice Cooper, BTO, Guess Who, etc.—-ALL were either born in the 70’s or produced some of their best stuff in the 70’s.