The Green Bay Connection...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I really want to continue to stress that Javon Walker doesn't want to play in green bay any more. Even threatened to retire rather than suit up again.

On top of that Norm suggested that Walker could be picked up for a 3rd round draft pick.

On top of that Marco Rivera former guard of the Green Bay Packers mentioned him as a guy who he'd like to have on this team. As a catalyst. And he said that if Parcells asked him about Javon, he would lay down the foundation about how good of a guy he is.

If we don't resign Keyshawn I would love to get Javon Walker. Not just for this year in case Glenn is injured. But for the future.

Javon Walker + Patrick Crayton + a 2007 1st day draft pick receiver...

TheHustler

Reaction score
There's no way we pick up Walker now, our top two are set in TO and Glenn. Signing Walker would push Glenn to #3 and Crayton to #4, don't think the Cowboys want to do that.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't think there is no way we don't pick up walker. It wouldn't necessarily be just about this year. Especially with him coming off a knee injury. Rather as a safety net in case Glenn is injured. And in the future to have that franchise receiver. Cause Glenn only has 1 or 2 years left here assuming they don't extend him.

And at this point Parcells doesn't even know if Crayton can be considered a solid 3rd. He said it himself.

Keyshawn was getting 2.5 million from the cowboys this year, but wants about 4 million. The Giants offered 3 million, but he wasn't going for it.

I think we'd be willing somewhat to match 3 million, but we're not going as high as 4 million either.

I think Keyshawn will end up in New England. Kansas City has already told him they won't sign him until they fix their defense. And the others out there are Denver, Carolina, and Seattle. I don't think any of those teams have a lot of money. And I think we're going to match any offer within the 3 to 3.5 million range. 3.5 is probably a stretch now that we signed T.O.

Eskimo

Reaction score
If we wanted Walker we should have worked out a deal before signing TO. There is very little chance this happens now as we have $$$ invested in the WR position right now. It is far more likely that we will draft someone with a day one pick and give them a year or two of seasoning before they hit the starting lineup.

ravidubey

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
There's no way we pick up Walker now, our top two are set in TO and Glenn. Signing Walker would push Glenn to #3 and Crayton to #4, don't think the Cowboys want to do that.

Last year Dallas signed Peerless Price as insurance in case Glenn got hurt. Both Owens and Glenn have been hurt in recent years and both are 32 years old and thus can not be counted on as part of the Cowboys long range plans. Walker would not only provide such insurance, he'd also factor into the Cowboys' plans for the forseeable future.

Signing a proven, young, dominant playmaker who can help this team immediately usually makes sense, especially for a 2nd round pick (which is what it will take).

As an aside, Dallas' track record in the second round has been awful of late, we haven't had a single one who has finished a full season for us as a legit, successful NFL starter and fulltime player since 1998 with Flozell. Page, Goodrich, Carter, Dixon, Gurode, Bryant, Johnson, Rogers, Julius, and Burnett -- all have been anything from average to injured to just plain crazy.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
Eskimo said:
It is far more likely that we will draft someone with a day one pick
And that is not likely, either. Or should I say super-highly-improbable. like....NO CHANCE!!

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
hey, heres are the 2 things that will/wont happen if Javon Walker is signed:
1. He is the #2 Reciever pushing off TG who had 1,100+ yards last season and was our leading deep threat. (WILL)
2. he is the #3 reciever and we all know that he wants to leave a team that is in the rebuilding process but what would make him want to be a #3 reciever? (WONT)

TheHustler

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Last year Dallas signed Peerless Price as insurance in case Glenn got hurt. Both Owens and Glenn have been hurt in recent years and both are 32 years old and thus can not be counted on as part of the Cowboys long range plans. Walker would not only provide such insurance, he'd also factor into the Cowboys' plans for the forseeable future.

Signing a proven, young, dominant playmaker who can help this team immediately usually makes sense, especially for a 2nd round pick (which is what it will take).

As an aside, Dallas' track record in the second round has been awful of late, we haven't had a single one who has finished a full season for us as a legit, successful NFL starter and fulltime player since 1998 with Flozell. Page, Goodrich, Carter, Dixon, Gurode, Bryant, Johnson, Rogers, Julius, and Burnett -- all have been anything from average to injured to just plain crazy.

Javon Walker is not Peerless Price. Signing Walker pushes Glenn to #3 WR and Crayton to #4. Price was #4. Completely different.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
What's wrong with Glenn being a 3 receiver? He is very fragile and is getting older. I think it was written in an article that he played a full season for the only the second time in his career, last year.

Chances are he won't do it again, so again what is wrong with him being a 3 receiver. He will still get his catches and if nothing else, we can run the 3 receiver sets and one running back more often like we did at the begining of Parcells first year. And it will increase his chances of staying healthy all year.

I would trade for Walker in a heart beat.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SouthernStar said:
And that is not likely, either. Or should I say super-highly-improbable. like....NO CHANCE!!

Day one = 1st through 3rd rounds - why is it so improbable that we spend a day one pick on a WR? Our only WR prospect with youth is Crayton (Copper is STer and the others have never even suited up for an NFL game).

I think the teams that handle the new age of the NFL best are the ones that anticipate their future needs early - Eagles and Pats - and then draft accordingly.

Our biggest long-term areas of concern have to be WR, LB and OL at this stage with QB not too far behind.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Green Bay would be nuts to trade him for a 3rd rounder. If I were them, I'd rather let him rot than give him away that cheap.

If he were available so cheaply, then we should RUN to make that deal. Too bad it was only a talking head speculating out of his arse.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Galian Beast said:
I really want to continue to stress that Javon Walker doesn't want to play in green bay any more. Even threatened to retire rather than suit up again.

On top of that Norm suggested that Walker could be picked up for a 3rd round draft pick.

On top of that Marco Rivera former guard of the Green Bay Packers mentioned him as a guy who he'd like to have on this team. As a catalyst. And he said that if Parcells asked him about Javon, he would lay down the foundation about how good of a guy he is.

If we don't resign Keyshawn I would love to get Javon Walker. Not just for this year in case Glenn is injured. But for the future.

Javon Walker + Patrick Crayton + a 2007 1st day draft pick receiver...

NEWS FLASH!!!

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
I've been saying this all along.. pick up both Walker and TO, and we're set for awhile at that position, a rariety for sure. I could give a crud about Terry's "feelings". Keyshawn was easily enough shown the door. Walker would easily be good for 70 catches alongside TO and bring us just as much bigplay as Terry ever could hope to. Not to mention he's alot younger, which alone is reason enough to consider bringing him to upgrade over Terry--we went nowhere agewise with Key>TO, though I'm sure most will agree TO has a much longer career still ahead of him then either of the two we had, still bringing down that overall age average would be nice. Walker's ready to hit the prime of his career, doing it here sounds good to me. Walker + TO, barnone the best WR tandem this league has seen in awhile.

Plus Jerry is playing up the "deal" he got by getting TO under these circumstances, well the "demanding to be traded" Walker who is just off an injury season is just as ripe for the "deal" picking, with possibly much more upside.

2much2soon

Reaction score
I like it if it could happen.
I think the odds are greater than not that:
TO starts blowing up the team after a season or so and needs to be replaced.
And, Terry Glenn is nagged by injuries and can't perform like he did last season.
Walker oughta be a strong contributor for years, with Crayton in the number 2spot.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I sure would love to see it, but like everyone says, it ain't happenin.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
After signing T.O., I am afraid it would allocate too much $$$$ for the WR's