27 FALCONS* OT Khalif Barnes Washington
28 CHARGERS* OT Wesley Britt Alabama
29 COLTS* DT Antajj Hawthorne Wisconsin
30 PATRIOTS* S Donte Nicholson Oklahoma
31 EAGLES* TE Heath Miller Virginia
32 STEELERS* DE Matt Roth Iowa

Woods

Reaction score
I don't think we'll take a CB that high, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the first round turns out that way.

I guess Spears makes sense, esp. if we do play more 3-4.

I hope Merriman is around at 20 though.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Woods said:
I don't think we'll take a CB that high, but I wouldn't be disappointed if the first round turns out that way.

I guess Spears makes sense, esp. if we do play more 3-4.

I hope Merriman is around at 20 though.
Merriman is an interesting prospect...on many draft boards he is not even in the picture before the 2nd round. All of a sudden he is worthy of #11 to some folks...interesting. Having a difficult time figuring out where his real value is...in terms of draft ranking.

nathanlt

Reaction score
In the future, we should ALL boycott mock drafts that include a CB in the first round. No need explaining why, YET AGAIN!

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
nathanlt said:
In the future, we should ALL boycott mock drafts that include a CB in the first round. No need explaining why, YET AGAIN!
I will go with that...however I think there will be a very good CB available with the 2nd round pic that will fall...maybe even Carlos Rogers or Pac Man.

ghst187

Reaction score
I would be ecstatic with Rolle at #11 but I would prefer Pollack or Merriman at 20.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Amazing. Kiper said on ESPN Radio today that Alex Smith would be the first pick in the draft- Boylhart has him going #24. Can you say lack of consensus?

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Amazing. Kiper said on ESPN Radio today that Alex Smith would be the first pick in the draft- Boylhart has him going #24. Can you say lack of consensus?

Smith is a nice talent... but I will be SHOCKED if he goes #1... I look for SF to try and deal this pick...

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if Smith goes #1. He's only 20 years old, could add some more weight with the right program and is probably the most decision-making QB to declare since Drew Brees. He arguably has the most upside of any prospect in the draft.

Don't be surprised to see more jump on the bandwagon after the combines. I'm willing to bet he'll run a 4.6.

lkelly

Reaction score
Agree that right now there doesn't seem to be a consensus. And it isn't just with players like Alex Smith. Merriman has been all over early mock drafts. I'm thinking this first round may be a little hard to predict.

I also think it is funny that so many people are now up in arms over the theory that Dallas may draft a corner in the first round. Flash back to the middle/end of the season, and you had people PRAYING that Dallas could land a player like Antrell Rolle. Now, because of some offhand comment by Parcells, the CB position is taboo. A toasted Lance Frazier, with not much other talent sitting on the roster behind him, is suddenly ideal? If Rolle is the best player on the Dallas draft board at that spot, they should take him. It isn't like they are loaded at the posistion right now. You have to have 3 decent corners on your team these days anyway. A team that starts 4 or 5 different guys at RCB over 16 games is not sitting pretty.

Derinyar

Reaction score
lkelly said:
Agree that right now there doesn't seem to be a consensus. And it isn't just with players like Alex Smith. Merriman has been all over early mock drafts. I'm thinking this first round may be a little hard to predict.

I also think it is funny that so many people are now up in arms over the theory that Dallas may draft a corner in the first round. Flash back to the middle/end of the season, and you had people PRAYING that Dallas could land a player like Antrell Rolle. Now, because of some offhand comment by Parcells, the CB position is taboo. A toasted Lance Frazier, with not much other talent sitting on the roster behind him, is suddenly ideal? If Rolle is the best player on the Dallas draft board at that spot, they should take him. It isn't like they are loaded at the posistion right now. You have to have 3 decent corners on your team these days anyway. A team that starts 4 or 5 different guys at RCB over 16 games is not sitting pretty.
Frazier isn't ideal, but you can probably fix CB with a mid level FA for less a year in the long run than a 1st round draft pick will make, and with better immediate results.

lkelly

Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Frazier isn't ideal, but you can probably fix CB with a mid level FA for less a year in the long run than a 1st round draft pick will make, and with better immediate results.

Agree that fixing the position via free agency is an option, but it certainly wasn't an attractive option last year. CBs were drawing enormous signing bonuses - even guys who couldn't get off the bench or the injured list with their new teams. I look at what teams like Pittsburgh, Philly, Atlanta, and New England have done with their secondaries. Most of the positions have been filled via the draft on those teams. I wonder what a player like Donta Robinson made last year vs. a Bobby Taylor? Robinson certainly had better immediate results.

One thing I DON'T think we'll see (nor do I want to) is Dallas getting rookies for both the RCB and FS positions. The number of blown coverages in that scenario would be too high.