News: The key to the Cowboys defense taking the next step isn’t a rookie or newcomer

CCBoy

Reaction score
The key to the Cowboys defense taking the next step isn’t a rookie or newcomer

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...step-isnt-a-rookie-or-newcomer-maliek-collins

Every offseason hope springs eternal as fans and media alike fawn over incoming free agents and recent draft picks as the primary source of improvement as their team heads into a new season. It’s natural to be fascinated with the shiny new toy whose YouTube highlights you’ve spent hours poring over leading up to the draft and then again during the dog days of June and July.

Of course for the Dallas Cowboys the need to improve has been laser focused on the defense lately, and as we head towards training camp there is no shortage of talented, intriguing new faces on that side of the ball. When the preseason starts in just under a month all eyes will be focused on Smith and the rookies in search of signs that foreshadow the desired improvement defensively.

But the problem with all of this is that often times rookies are usually an investment in the future while only providing a marginal boost in their first year. The rare and historic success of the Cowboys 2016 rookie class is the exception, not the norm, and usually it takes rookies at least a month or two, if not a full season before they really start making an impact on the field. Often times improvement from one season to the next primarily comes from the development of second- and third-year players who have had the luxury of playing in the same system with the same coaches for a year or two. So all of this brings me to the player who I believe will be the most critical as far as taking the Cowboys defense to the next level, and that’s defensive tackle Maliek Collins. The second-year man out of Nebraska has flown somewhat under the radar this offseason while most of the headlines have gone to the rookies in the secondary, the first-round pick at defensive end, and of course Jaylon Smith...

FaSho

Reaction score
I have high hopes for Collins, but not necessarily high expectations.

We heard similar things about Crawford a few years ago. Hearing that he's been giving Martin fits during the offseason certainly makes me feel good about his development though.

phildadon86

Reaction score

We heard similar things about Crawford a few years ago. Hearing that he's been giving Martin fits during the offseason certainly makes me feel good about his development though.
Yeah and specifically about his power. Martin is ELITE at not getting pushed over by power, and if Collins is giving him fits with power. Thats saying something for other guards in the NFL. Hopefully we found someone up the middle the offense has to double.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have several players who will be key in the defense taking the next step. It's the combination of all those players that will make the defense better. A lot of new faces on that side of the ball this year.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Jaylon, Taco, Maliek and one of the rookie corners have to be simply great for this defense to take the next step. And that's asking a lot this early in their careers I think.

diefree666

Reaction score

no pads no full contact. Put them on and go at it full speed THEN see if Collins gives Martin trouble. I really doubt it.

diefree666

Reaction score
Why do you really doubt it. Have you seen them go at it live?
have you? No because it has not happened. I doubt it because I do not think Collins is as good as some try and claim. SHOULD he be able to give Martin trouble WHEN THE pads are on and its full contact then that is ANOTHER story. What was done in OTA's so far means nothing as regards line play.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
have you? No because it has not happened. I doubt it because I do not think Collins is as good as some try and claim. SHOULD he be able to give Martin trouble WHEN THE pads are on and its full contact then that is ANOTHER story. What was done in OTA's so far means nothing as regards line play.
I can do the same thing as you. Maybe Collins is better then Martin. We don't see many things and for you to say something didn't happen when you aren't in the locker room or on the team doesn't mean it's correct.