The Last Time We Played the Bengals

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
November 7, 2004. Has to be one of the most disappointing games in my life as a Cowboys fan. We got manhandled 26-3 and committed 5 turnovers. Vinny Dinosaur threw 3 picks and fumbled the ball away. Meshawn Johnson was the other fumble.

I hated the 2004 season.

We lead the all time series 5-4, we've lost 3 of the last 4 times we've played them.

Coming off a loss that will grind my gears for a long time, I hope we nail the coffin shut on them.

I pity any cats on the road this week. <<<That was a joke people. Relax.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2298488 said:
November 7, 2004. Has to be one of the most disappointing games in my life as a Cowboys fan. We got manhandled 26-3 and committed 5 turnovers. Vinny Dinosaur threw 3 picks and fumbled the ball away. Meshawn Johnson was the other fumble.

I hated the 2004 season.

We lead the all time series 5-4, we've lost 3 of the last 4 times we've played them.

Coming off a loss that will grind my gears for a long time, I hope we nail the coffin shut on them.

After that game, Parcells came out and said, "We stink!", which ended up getting headlines all week by the national sports media. I remember this was one of the VERY few times in his career where he DIDN'T get a pass for doing something boneheaded like this.

At that point, I knew he was already planning ahead for major roster changes for '05.

shnagy

Reaction score
Hostile;2298488 said:

I hated the 2004 season.

Unfortunately, that was the first Cowboy's game I had ever attended. :bang2: What a pitiful showing that was.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Now the tail end of that 6-10 2004 season was a real disaster. The team basically quit, and from what some players said, the coach quit on the team. We came out every week with no energy and like we just didn't care.

What's so weird is that the reactions to one loss now when we're 3-0 are worse than I remember them being back then.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Yeah, it was only out of a sense of duty that I watched that 2004 game vs. the Bengals. I knew it was going to be bad, but somehow it was even a little worse ....

Boysboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2298500 said:
Now the tail end of that 6-10 2004 season was a real disaster. The team basically quit, and from what some players said, the coach quit on the team. We came out every week with no energy and like we just didn't care.

What's so weird is that the reactions to one loss now when we're 3-0 are worse than I remember them being back then.

The minute Parcells insisted his CBs on the practice squad were good enough after Mario Edwards left pretty much had me feeling we were in for a long season.(Bobby Taylor/Troy Vincent would have been nice 1-stop gaps)

And Darren Woodson going down made matters worse as well.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
We lost to them in 1997 also when the team basically quit on that day. It was miserable to watch. I remember Aikman and Irvin wouldn't even talk to each other on the sideline at that time.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
ZeroClub;2298517 said:
Yeah, it was only out of a sense of duty that I watched that 2004 game vs. the Bengals. I knew it was going to be bad, but somehow it was even a little worse ....
yeah, It seems like only yesterday, hard to believe it's been 4 years!.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
An 0-4 team is STILL an NFL team.

They could make this a game.... while our players are saying "its no big deal" about our loss.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
YoMick;2299274 said:
An 0-4 team is STILL an NFL team.

They could make this a game.... while our players are saying "its no big deal" about our loss.
Not to scare anybody half to death, but sooner or later their QB and WRs are going to have a good day. They are too talented not to.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2299314 said:
Not to scare anybody half to death, but sooner or later their QB and WRs are going to have a good day. They are too talented not to.

thats what I'm saying with their WR tandem and our defensive scheme I don't expect anything less than a huge game from them.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2299216 said:
We lost to them in 1997 also when the team basically quit on that day. It was miserable to watch. I remember Aikman and Irvin wouldn't even talk to each other on the sideline at that time.

Oh NO WAY. No way Irvin EVER acted like that. It's not possible. Only cancers like TO act that way.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Contrary to what some were saying on here last week, THIS is the definition of a trap game! One of the worst teams in the NFL statistically coming into our house while we're having a "pity party" over our loss to the DeadnStinkins...I hope the hangover from last weekend is outta their systems so they can THROTTLE the Bungles this weekend!! That said, they are talented on offense (I do think their O-line pretty average...but I thought the same about WSH :rolleyes: ) and are bound to catch fire sometime...I just hope it's not Oct. 5th or all hell will break loose on the Zone!!

Boysboy

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2299216 said:

I remember we were out of the playoff picture by them, and Boomer Esiason was playing his final games of his career. If anything, we were just playing for pride. We jumped out to an early 10-0 lead, under Boomer started lighting up our rooker CB(forgot his name, he was subbing for Deion).

That was one ugly season-we got off to an outstanding foot by trouncing Pittsburgh in Pitt, then the following weeks were like win, lose, win, lose, win, lose...and then when we blew that game at The Vet(instead of scoring a TD late to put the game away, we shot ourselves with so many penalties on that drive, only to allow the Iggs to march right down the field to win), it all but put the fork in our season.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2299314 said:

The Bungals are 0-4 not b/c of their offense, but b/c of their porous defense. Remember they took the defending SB champs Giants to OT a couple of weeks ago, no way they roll over playing "American's Team" this weekend.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2298500 said:

That team had very little talent to hang its hat on. No one could've expected them to be anything better than mediocre. Most of us were just hoping for a good draft slot.

The time for longing for high draft picks is over. This team is in a position to win now, and performances like Sunday won't get it done.

I would simply refer anyone who thinks that was no big deal to the post which had an excerpt from the book about the 90's Cowboys and how Jimmy handled the fluke Aikman/Emmitt/Endzone fumble loss.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Some can call it absurd and overreactionary, but if Dallas loses Sunday, Wade Phillips will be on the hottest seat Jerry Jones can conjure up come next Monday.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Boysboy;2299381 said:
The Bungals are 0-4 not b/c of their offense, but b/c of their porous defense. Remember they took the defending SB champs Giants to OT a couple of weeks ago, no way they roll over playing "American's Team" this weekend.

...and were it not for some bad clock management at the end of regulation, they had a chance to win that game. Would we be taking them lightly if they would have beat the Giants? I think not. I watched that entire game, and the Bengals are a dangerous opponent.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
The Bengals could cause us some difficulties when on offense, but there is no way they can keep up with our offense

Dallas 38 Cincinnati 17