The Love of players with Texas ties

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No duh it's Texas and we're in the state, but has anyone noticed when we pick up players, so many of them have Texas ties to them. Someone mentioned nepotism recently, is this a form of it? I'm nowhere saying all of our guys are from the area, but I just noticed we pick up several from the area. Has anyone caught on, please give your thoughts.

Seems like we pick up a player, he went to A&M, or Univ of Texas, or went to high school in TX

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
After being blessed with John Ridgeway and Felix Jones I thought the Arkansas pipeline would continue to yield sweet fruit here
Yep. It's the Arkansas pipeline that always worries me. :laugh:

Ol' Jerra taking care of his buddies in the booster club.

Not sure how old you are @Coogiguy03 but there was a period probably about 20 years ago where I felt University of Texas had a reputation for dud first round pics. Fans that didn’t like the school blamed it on the country club atmosphere, but who knows…..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nepotism has nothing to do with player acquisition from different states or places. Nepotism has to do with kin folk doing favors for their family...like maybe a coach will pick his kid for QB rather than letting another non family member compete for the position.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Nepotism has nothing to do with player acquisition from different states or places. Nepotism has to do with kin folk doing favors for their family...like maybe a coach will pick his kid for QB rather than letting another non family member compete for the position.
Or pick their scout’s 4’4“ RB son? (…. Walks away quietly)

rambo2

Reaction score
No duh it's Texas and we're in the state, but has anyone noticed when we pick up players, so many of them have Texas ties to them. Someone mentioned nepotism recently, is this a form of it? I'm nowhere saying all of our guys are from the area, but I just noticed we pick up several from the area. Has anyone caught on, please give your thoughts.

Seems like we pick up a player, he went to A&M, or Univ of Texas, or went to high school in TX
Texas is a football hotbed. That's where football players come from.

Mark

Reaction score
The Cowboys have always loved Southern cooking in general.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Texas, Florida and California have the most football talent in the US. And some of those guys live in the Dallas area hoping to get a shot with the team at some point.

J817

Reaction score
Yep. It's the Arkansas pipeline that always worries me. :laugh:

Ol' Jerra taking care of his buddies in the booster club.

Not sure how old you are @Coogiguy03 but there was a period probably about 20 years ago where I felt University of Texas had a reputation for dud first round pics. Fans that didn’t like the school blamed it on the country club atmosphere, but who knows…..
You can make a strong argument that’s still a thing. Earl Thomas was great, Orakpo was ok, and Leonard Davis had a good career when he was with us, but I can’t think of a Texas first round pick that moved the needle other than those. The Falcons may regret the Robinson pick someday.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You can make a strong argument that’s still a thing. Earl Thomas was great, Orakpo was ok, and Leonard Davis had a good career when he was with us, but I can’t think of a Texas first round pick that moved the needle other than those. The Falcons may regret the Robinson pick someday.
Don't know about Robinson. I don't know where he finished the season, but I was looking at NFL Next Gen Stats, and midseason, he was 2nd in NFL in facing 8 men in box. Just no respect for the QB. Maybe improve that offense around him and probably get some solid 1200-1500 yard years. Not sure though if he was worth a #8 pick, all things considered.

J817

Reaction score
Don't know about Robinson. I don't know where he finished the season, but I was looking at NFL Next Gen Stats, and midseason, he was 2nd in NFL in facing 8 men in box. Just no respect for the QB. Maybe improve that offense around him and probably get some solid 1200-1500 yard years. Not sure though if he was worth a #8 pick, all things considered.
I am just looking at his stats. I haven’t seen a game. You’re probably right about the QB. My thing is, why draft a RB that high when you haven’t shored up the QB or OL positions? Maybe it’s a Texas RB curse (Ricky, Cedric and now Robinson). Being drafted by teams with suspect QB situations.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Earl Campbell kinda moved a needle or two out of UT

Brooksey

Reaction score

Using local Texas football as a recruiting tool or scouting tool is smart.

There's been an uptick but still not enough. Take every advantage you can