The NFL in 20 years

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
I was once a huge boxing fan and still watch things like ShoBox but I can see the NFL slowly sliding into the morass of professional boxing. The parallels are eerily similar. Both owe most of the pinnacle of their success to gambling even though neither will admit it publicly.

First boxing was free on broadcast TV much as the NFL was. Then some of the major fights went to premium cable (HBO originally started as a boxing network), the NFL to ESPN and now the NFLN. Boxing then went to PPV for a vast majority of big events. Is the NFL that far behind?

Next we saw some controversial decisions in boxing, usually based on who the promoter was, and now it seems like officials decide more NFL games than the players do. Once the audience starts questioning the legitimacy of the results, things go downhill fast.

We also saw an increase in boxers' attitude and out of the ring problems after the money became obscene (Mike Tyson). It's been a less than stellar year for the NFL in that regard also. I don't think a week goes by without a player being arrested (C. Henry, S. Locklear in just the last few weeks) and the severity of the crimes seems to be rising along with the frequency.

The NFL's at a crossroads and should look carefully at boxing's problems when deciding what road to choose.

TonyS

Reaction score
Stanley:

You make some good points. I was shocked to hear the the NFL Network was going to be televising games. The reasoning is clear. Cut out the Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN middle man and make all the advertising revenue yourself, but I don't think its a good thing for all of us. I don't pay for football games and don't want to start.

NFL Network taking over some broadcasting must have tightened the sphincters of a few TV execs. It can't be a real good sign for their future.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
great post.

you forgot the HUGE GUARANTEED PAYDAY boxers got (ie. huge guaranteed signing/roster/etc. bonus) that also served as a de-motivator for the athletes.

today is a low day in NFL history given the contract dispute, tv deals, parity and exemplified by the super bowl dud.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent post Sir.......I agree the parallels are very similar and the NFL had better look long and hard before making some very important decisions.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you fellas, the NFL seems like it's on a decline lately. The Conference Championships, the Super Bowl, everything this year seemed to confirm my suspicions. Here's hoping the greatest pro sport in the world stays on top.

Jay9508

Reaction score
i wouldnt be surprised if the superbowl costed to watch on tv

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
Outside of my digital cable package (ESPN) I will never pay to watch the NFL on TV. I've got much more important things to spend my money on than bad football-I'd come much closer to spending money on college games. If the Cowboys win a must have game on tape/DVD, I can always get a game tape from my sources.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I pay for Direct TV. Which has the NFL Network. So Idont consider myself paying for it, but I do.I hear the Cable companies here in DFW will offer NFL Network as part of a basic package here. So in one wayor another - free footballs gunna become a thing of the past.

Now NFL ticket and that stuff, I consider paying for free stuff. I wont buy that.

hmcorp

Reaction score
Since 1999 the super bowl has had many amazing games.

Besides tampa baltimore and this years the other 4 games were decided in the last minute. The ratings were huge and the games were down to the wire. the carolina new england game being one of the best ever.

the NFL is the most popular and most important and most money making sport of all time. one poor super bowl will not change that. now if the league has problems in the future well then what you are saying could be true.

but as of now the american pasttime of my lifetime will be football.

baseball is dead.

parchy

Reaction score
hmcorp said:
baseball is dead.

If you ask me, baseball's playoffs are infinitely more exciting than football's if both are at their peak.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
hmcorp said:
Since 1999 the super bowl has had many amazing games.

Besides tampa baltimore and this years the other 4 games were decided in the last minute. The ratings were huge and the games were down to the wire. the carolina new england game being one of the best ever.

the NFL is the most popular and most important and most money making sport of all time. one poor super bowl will not change that. now if the league has problems in the future well then what you are saying could be true.

but as of now the american pasttime of my lifetime will be football.

baseball is dead.

My post had nothing to do with this year's Super Bowl.

I agree that football is approaching or has passed another apex but that's why they should be especially wary (although SB ratings have been down, as was all Sunday and MNF but that's due to other factors). Boxing hit it's last heyday and then dropped off the map. From Ali-Frazier to Hagler-Hearns and Leonard-Duran to who now?

MLB is also in decline but that shows what can happen with labor strife and poor managment who failed to take advantage of opportunities. Rozelle build the NFL the way Judge Landis did MLB many years before and now Tags seems to be taking it the way of Selig.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
People thought Rozelle was whacky when he rolled out MNF 40 years ago.

The times are rapidly changing and all the fans are eating up as much NFL football as they can get their paws on.

You have the right to vote on what programming you get! Don't buy it!!!!!!!! Vote - cancel your direct TV, Put down your NFL Direct TV Package - Just say no!!!!!!

Scream at your cable company. Tell them what you want and DON't want. Cancel if they don't listen!

Crickets

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
My post had nothing to do with this year's Super Bowl.

I agree that football is approaching or has passed another apex but that's why they should be especially wary (although SB ratings have been down, as was all Sunday and MNF but that's due to other factors). Boxing hit it's last heyday and then dropped off the map. From Ali-Frazier to Hagler-Hearns and Leonard-Duran to who now?

MLB is also in decline but that shows what can happen with labor strife and poor managment who failed to take advantage of opportunities. Rozelle build the NFL the way Judge Landis did MLB many years before and now Tags seems to be taking it the way of Selig.

I go to 5 games a year at Fenway park. As baseball purists take my sons to around 20 minor league games also. Summer its the Cape Cod league and we see College's best players for $2 admissions. Spring/Summer/Fall my older son played at least 80 games all over the region. Baseball is as vibrant as ever - if you look for it.

Get away from the keyboard, stop reading about it and live it. MLB isAmerica's pasttime. Transcends and lives on - generation to generation. Not going anywhere - its the very fabric of our sporting nation.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
parchy said:
If you ask me, baseball's playoffs are infinitely more exciting than football's if both are at their peak.

no offense, your an idiot

haha jk jk

i see the parallels between boxing and football and the points you make are valid...but there is no way football slips into a second tier sport...no way no how

as long as monday night football is around, it will be huge

i think (although i was not really...alive) boxing might have struggled because of advertising, marketing, and visibility to young people. How many jerseys of your favorite boxer can you buy???

The other thing hurting boxing is that nobody is around for a long time, so its hard to really be a true fan. Guys dont box for 50 years, or a lot for 10 for that matter. Where i will be a cowboy fan for the 70ish years i am alive, there is not one boxer that i can watch for that long.

Combine the two, and you get young kids becoming modest fans as elementary school kids...then developing into hardcore fans who post thousands of times on a forum about their favorite team (not that theres anything wrong with that ;) )