CFZ The offense has had same issues in the playoffs since 2007

Zman5

Reaction score
The 2007 offense was ranked #2 in scoring and #3 in yards. We had 7 offensive players making the Pro bowl. So, the failure in the playoffs wasn't due to the roster. We were averaging 28.5 points per game that year, but we only scored 17 points in a loss to the Giants in the playoffs. Similar story in 2009 where we were averaging 23 points per game in the regular season but only scored 3 points. Same again last year and this year. The offense is great in regular season vs average teams, yet it gets chocked out in the playoff's vs top tier playoff teams.

Year/ QBRegular Season point per gamePlayoff scoreQB Rating reg seasonQB Rating playoff loss
2007 / Romo28.517 (vs the Giants)97.464.7
2009 / Romo22.63 (vs Vikings)97.666.1
2021 / Dak31.217 (vs SF)104.269.3
2022 / Dak27.512 (vs SF)91.163.6

This has been happening since 2007 with a different QB and roster. So, what is common between 2007, 2009, 2021, and 2022 season? JG's offensive scheme. A team that can rush the passer with only four and play coverage can easily defend JG's offense. Giants in 2007 had a great pass rush and Romo had one of his worse game vs them in the playoffs. Romo got pummeled in 2009 vs the Vikings. We all know what happened to Dak last two years. This issue is more than just the QB and his weapons. It's time to get a new scheme if we want to take the next step. It's time to clean out the last of JG's stench.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't see it as an oddity. We're not going to see the teams we blow out in the regular season in the playoffs.

Besides 2007 and 2014, every other playoff loss was away and to a better team. Including 1996. Dallas just isn't very good at upsetting teams in the playoffs.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The 2007 offense was ranked #2 in scoring and #3 in yards. We had 7 offensive players making the Pro bowl. So, the failure in the playoffs wasn't due to the roster. We were averaging 28.5 points per game that year, but we only scored 17 points in a loss to the Giants in the playoffs. Similar story in 2009 where we were averaging 23 points per game in the regular season but only scored 3 points. Same again last year and this year. The offense is great in regular season vs average teams, yet it gets chocked out in the playoff's vs top tier playoff teams.

Year/ QBRegular Season point per gamePlayoff score
QB Rating reg season
QB Rating playoff loss
2007 / Romo28.517 (vs the Giants)97.464.7
2009 / Romo22.63 (vs Vikings)97.666.1
2021 / Dak31.217 (vs SF)104.269.3
2022 / Dak27.512 (vs SF)91.163.6

This has been happening since 2007 with a different QB and roster. So, what is common between 2007, 2009, 2021, and 2022 season? JG's offensive scheme. A team that can rush the passer with only four and play coverage can easily defend JG's offense. Giants in 2007 had a great pass rush and Romo had one of his worse game vs them in the playoffs. Romo got pummeled in 2009 vs the Vikings. We all know what happened to Dak last two years. This issue is more than just the QB and his weapons. It's time to get a new scheme if we want to take the next step. It's time to clean out the last of JG's stench.
Outstanding post!
Common thread is the outdated offense.
Time to flush that stench down the toilet!

Zman5

Reaction score
I don't see it as an oddity. We're not going to see the teams we blow out in the regular season in the playoffs.

Besides 2007 and 2014, every other playoff loss was away and to a better team. Including 1996. Dallas just isn't very good at upsetting teams in the playoffs.
I don't expect them to play as well vs the top teams in the playoffs but I also don't expect them to play that much worse than how they have been playing in the regular season. Especially the QB play. Both Romo and Dak went from high 90s to 100 rating to 60s QB rating in those playoff games. That's significant. The common theme is the opponents defense all could rush the passer with just four and play coverage. This offense doesn't have answers for that kind of defense.

It's easy to just say Dak sucks and we just need to replace the QB and everything will be fine. But it's not just simple as that. Romo with 6 probowl players on offense had same issues in 2007 and 2009.

Last edited:

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Exactly. Dak may not be naturally gifted like the top qbs, but he has some skill. But we've only ever seen him in the JG/Linehan tree which KM is an extension of. We need to see what he could he under an OC from the Reid or Shanahan trees. They need to make it easier for him rather than just relying on his arm to beat opponents. In the playoffs you're going against the best of the best DC's, that won't work consistently for 4 games.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't expect them to play as well vs the top teams in the playoffs but I also don't expect them to play that much worse than how they have been playing in the regular season. Especially the QB play. Both Romo and Dak went from high 90s to 100 rating to 60s QB rating in those playoff games. That's significant. The common theme is the opponents defense all could rush the passer with just four and play coverage. This offense doesn't have answers for that kind of defense.

It's easy to just say Dak sucks and we just need to replace the QB and everything will be fine. But it's not just simple as that. Romo with 6 probowl players on offense had same issues in 2007 and 2009.
That 2007 giants team was playing very good d in the playoffs. The Patriots only put up 14. The 2009 Cowboys offensive line simply couldn't block the Vikings. You're right in that it wasn't a common theme all year, but most QBs under that kind of pressure fold up and die. All it takes is one game in the playoffs.

But I would agree that it is not just Dak. I remember going way back, people telling me we'll never win with Romo. Rinse and repeat. Obviously there are other issues.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
This worked in the 90s because we could dominate on the ground for 3 straight games during a postseason run. We are stuck in that mentality. Our OL was ahead of its time in terms of big, strong, earth movers. Once everyone started to get big OL...our advantage went away. Emmit would not be Emmit today. He was a great RB. But that gap between our OL and the DLs we faced in the 90s does not exist today. Those games were over before they started. I remember seeing still shots and at times it looked like our OL was going against college sized players.

This offense will not work unless you can run the ball consistently. Eventually you can get big plays with PA passing. Once they are off balance and are not sure what is coming you can do whatever you want and eventually finish the game off running it down their throats. You have to have a defense that can allow you to be patient with the run. We don't have that. That is what those Ravens teams did. That is what those Seahawks team had. Once you pay your QB 50m, you have announced you feel you can beat teams with superior QB play. Dak can do it from time to time during the regular season...but both his drop off in performance and Tonys droppff in performance in the playoffs is proof that those guys are good, but not good for a 3 to 4 game postseason run.