The Other Roy Williams

Reaction score
Not complaining here...(God knows you all scream I am too negative...I guess we just all need to be warm and fuzzy with what we post)...BUT

notice how the defense seems to get better when Roy Williams has not been in there (a possible blessing though I hate that an injury lead to it)?

It truly is sad how far he has fallen, or how the game just passed him by with new offenses

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'll admit I'm bias. I was always willing to over look, for the most part, his bonehead plays cause I always liked him, even going back to his OU days. I hate OU but I loved watching him play and I really will be sad this offseason when they likely cut him.

Jake0

Reaction score
The defense still sucked **** when he was out, it was the change in coaching philosophy mostly the 20 yard cushions and change in attitude that turned the D around a few weeks after rw38 was already gone.

ellz

Reaction score
Yeah its safe to say his name will be on the cut list this offseason.. its a damn shame honestly, I wish we had a 1st round pick this year because a chance at Taylor Mays or Williams Moore (even though both would probably be off the board) would help this team out in a HUGE way.

Ren

Reaction score
Got to love how Roy has now become "the other Roy" :laugh2:

khiladi

Reaction score
Jake0;2439114 said:
The defense still sucked **** when he was out, it was the change in coaching philosophy mostly the 20 yard cushions and change in attitude that turned the D around a few weeks after rw38 was already gone.

Roy WIlliams could probably excel more so in this man-to-man press coverage that they play in the sense that he could play a more Polamalu type style... Our soft zone was confusing everybody, not just Roy. He was playing cover-2 primarily with Parcells and defending deep, which didn't allow him to beast out. Last year, Wade played a lot of crappy zone as well...

I'd like to have seen his play in the defense now...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man i'd still take Roy Williams over Watkins or Davis though. He's still the best we have at the position on this team. Unless the Cowboys can find an upgrade i'd like to think Roy is back next season. I hope they just go after that position in the draft though. I don't like picking up secondary players in the offseason. They almost never work.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Keith got beat by Vernon Davis twice, he was lucky one of the times Davis couldn't come up with the ball.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Quarterback Coach;2439095 said:
Not complaining here...(God knows you all scream I am too negative...I guess we just all need to be warm and fuzzy with what we post)...BUT

notice how the defense seems to get better when Roy Williams has not been in there (a possible blessing though I hate that an injury lead to it)?

It truly is sad how far he has fallen, or how the game just passed him by with new offenses

Are you kidding? Have you seen his replacements? Are you telling me that OC's around the league are saying " Geee, RW is out now, I guess they upgraded at S, so I guess we won't throw at them anymore" :rolleyes: Davis has had a few good hits, but between him, Brown, and Watkins, it has been pretty pathetic.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Roy was great at one time. Seems like ages ago. Not sure who picks him up in the offseason but best of luck.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2439542 said:
Are you kidding? Have you seen his replacements? Are you telling me that OC's around the league are saying " Geee, RW is out now, I guess they upgraded at S, so I guess we won't throw at them anymore" :rolleyes: Davis has had a few good hits, but between him, Brown, and Watkins, it has been pretty pathetic.
Exactly. Having Roy would help us, not hurt us.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Watching Killa out there makes me long for Roy to return to the defense. Henry is another story. The coverage in the secondary is a lot better when he is on the bench in my opinion.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I have no real opinion on him out there or not but it was nice to see him cheerleading on the sideline and acting genuinely interested unlike in the past with some injured guys who just sat there vegetating.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2439579 said:
I have no real opinion on him out there or not but it was nice to see him cheerleading on the sideline and acting genuinely interested unlike in the past with some injured guys who just sat there vegetating.
i was thinking the same thing.. most players, when they are hurt, just stand there.. Roy is really into it.. he has said he was going to be the Cowboys' biggest cheerleader and it really seems like he is..

and like others have said, Roy is much, much better than Davis, Brown, Watkins and Hamlin.. and in this defense that we're now playing, he would excel.. i'd love to see him in this attacking defense that we're finally playing.. it would play to his strengths.. i hope he's back next year..

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I was hoping Roy would get 1 last chance to prove himself on the field but the injury robbed him of that. Maybe Jerry will give him 1 last chance OR maybe Roy sees the writing on the wall and asks to sign a new cap-friendlier deal. I'd be okay if he;s brought back for 2009. He is still a beast against the run and seems like a very good locker room guy.

I saw a lot of people talking about Keith Davis this past week and despite his special teams play, he is a liability in coverage. Not only did he get burnt on that play (and others) but he gave up on it. Can't have that.

Salary cap Numbers
2009 Cap hit if he stays is approx. $10.125M
2009 Cap hit if cut is approx. $5.55 M so we would save $4.575M in cap room.

2010 Cap hit if he stays is approx. $9.775M
2010 cap hit if cut before 2010 season is approx. $2.775M so we would save $7M in cap room.

So if Jerry wants that $4.5M in additional room to add an impact player or feels he needs it to re-sign Ware, Roy is a goner this off-season. If Roy signed a cap-friendlier deal, let's say 3 years $6 million it would still save us about $2 M in cap room. Players sometimes do this because 1, it ensures they get to stay with their team and 2, the signing bonus of the new deal is immediate and guaranteed.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
When I weigh Roy's contributions against his salary - I have a real tough time finding a legitimate defense for the player. "Overpriced" and "underwhelming" is a bad combination.

I think it boils down to a critical business decision - and I hope the Cowboys don't get caught up in counterproductive sentimentality.

I wish Roy well wherever he lands (as long as it's outside the NFC East).

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;2439586 said:
i was thinking the same thing.. most players, when they are hurt, just stand there.. Roy is really into it.. he has said he was going to be the Cowboys' biggest cheerleader and it really seems like he is..

and like others have said, Roy is much, much better than Davis, Brown, Watkins and Hamlin.. and in this defense that we're now playing, he would excel.. i'd love to see him in this attacking defense that we're finally playing.. it would play to his strengths.. i hope he's back next year..

Agreed. It's like it doesn't even matter who we put back there at safety they will just suck it up atleast RW can come into the box and stop the run.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we want to get to the next level, it has to be without RW. It's over.