The Panthers are closing in on a hire: Bucs OC Dave Canales as head coach

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise me. Tapper is a bigger egomaniac than Jerry.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Quinn - Seattle
Johnson / Slovik - Washington
Belichick winds up in Atlanta

Vrabel can come DC here
Vrabel still gets paid another couple years. Similar to when the Eagles moved on from Pederson with a year left on his deal. Pederson took the year off and came back when there was an opportunity that appealed to him. Vrabel is not going to take any position less than a head coach job and doesn’t need to this year. Frank Reich has five years remaining on his deal. They typically do have to make legitimate attempts to find similar employment under terms of these coaching agreements. Their agents will not plunge them into coordinator positions too quickly. More head coaches will be terminated during the season next season. It is probably prudent, as long as you’re being paid anyway, to wait and see what develops.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Maybe they find lightning in a bottle but given the track record they don’t deserve benefit of the doubt and on paper this seems like a guy whose fired in 24 months

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
They set the franchise back a decade taking Young over Stroud

fivetwos

Reaction score
Looks as if it’s down to Seattle and Washington for Quinn. Obviously he isn’t going to Atlanta.

I think he ends up with the Seattle job. If he doesn’t take that, then either he is happy being a DC and/or happy in Dallas for now, or he isn’t getting offers.

If I’m Vrabel, if I can’t get Atlanta I sit out a year and let my name come up plenty as a candidate a year from now. He honestly doesn’t seem like a match there. They need an offensive guy to establish the QB situation.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Belichick doesn’t appear to have a suitor.

Maybe Jerry can hire him as a consultant…

“How to shut my mouth 101”

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
It's not a bad promotion for Canales. Who can say after 1 year that his scheme propelled the Bucs to the divisional round, or just a good year by Baker and his WRs. It would have been riskier to stay in TB for another season and risk regression.

The Panthers job is a toxic one, but that doesn't matter for a dude who just wrapped up his 1st year calling plays. He has nothing to lose and everything to gain.