The play to end the half

phildadon86

Reaction score
Did it bother anyone else that we just let the clock expire with almost 15 seconds left and a timeout after the fumble and recovery? I don't understand how Garrett still has a job in This league. Im beyond angry about the coaching flaws the last 2 games.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't know. When you get a strip sack fumble, you tend to go cautious I guess. Anybody remember the pass to the flat fumble that was returned for a TD a few years back and Garrett got roasted for not kneeling?

Last edited:

Aven8

Reaction score
I couldn't figure out what we were doing! Yes we got sacked and almost disastrous with the fumble but go for it! We were at midfield for crying out loud! JG probably figured going for 3 4th downs was enough for him for one day. Way out of his comfort zone....

links18

Reaction score
I guess the almost turnover scared them enough they just decided to give up and take a lead to the locker room? A little cowardly, but Garrett has been burned on that before (see Romo, pick six against the Commanders). Still, they were close enough that they should have at least made an effort to get more points.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don;'t see why they did not run the ball....sure it has a low chance of scoring but it is still a better chance of breaking one long run (like we did twice vs the steelers) than it is just letting the clock run out...plus it is still a conservative call.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
This just shows how Garrett is completely clueless and does not know situational coaching. He is a robot programmed to follow a script. Yes, the Tashard Choice fumble all those years ago should not have happened as there were only 3 seconds left and 0 timeouts at their own 35 so they should have just taken a knee.

Yesterday's scenario was different. You have one timeout and the ball at the 44. All it takes is one completion of 15 yards to probably get in Bailey's range for a long FG. This is a game where every point matters so you can't waste an opportunity like that. Coaching scared like that won't get you wins vs. the big boys in this league like Rodgers and Brady.

erod

Reaction score
That was the right thing to do.

You're up 24-12 with 15 seconds. You don't want to heave it up, get it picked off and returned and have your entire good half be all for naught.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score
So this confused me as well as the game stats onscreen were showing one timeout left. However, as time expired they cut to a different camera and the stats showed no timeouts left. I just thought we didn't have any left. So you guys are saying we did have a timeout? If we did, and with bailey as our kicker, there is no excuse for not trying another play.

DrunkWithPower

Reaction score

You're up 24-12 with 15 seconds. You don't want to heave it up, get it picked off and returned and have your entire good half be all for naught.

I see your point, but I also think that's what wrong with JG's coaching style. We need to attack and keep attacking. We need to stop running 3 times at the end of games and kicking field goals and start going for touchdowns and putting a dagger in our opponents. I hate how conservative we are.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

How about you call timeout with one second left and have Dak toss it to the zone for a hail mary? You think they are going to pick it and return it 100 yards the opposite direction for score?

When has that ever even happened, a team throws a hail mary and the other team pics it and returns it for a TD of their own. Don't think I have ever seen that in college or the pros.

Its worth a shot, I mean Rogers throws a couple hail marys every season that the Pack scores on.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. With a lead I prefer to down it and move on.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. With a lead I prefer to down it and move on.

It should bother you bro, we lost by 4 points............if we get 3 before the half, we are down one point and all we need is to get in FG range on the last possession. We had what, 11 seconds left and a timeout. That is doable, I mean Beasly was running down the seam and almost caught that last pass. It was incomplete with 5 seconds left, if he would have caught the ball and immediately downed himself, we could have called timeout with a second or two left on the clock for a game winning FG.

That is why a FG before half would have been huge.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's called complacency, they thought the game was in the bag. No way GB comes out with adjustments, at least nothing they haven't seen before from that very team :huh: