CFZ The position where depth is most needed on a roster ready for a playoff run

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the modern cap era of the NFL, depth is often is the hidden key to success in the long haul of an NFL season. And because of the cap, depth is a lot harder to accomplish than it was in the 90s when the Cowboys had depth in droves.

These days, if your team has signed some key expensive pieces that take a lot of cap space- like QB, LT, pass rusher, corner, etc, one of the biggest challenges is being able to have enough depth when (not if) the injuries happen during a season.

IMO, there are a couple of key position areas where depth is critical to make a serious run in the playoffs. But none is more critical than this one:
  • Swing Tackle- having an O-Lineman who is versatile enough to plug in for a few games at either tackle position is critical for the success of a team’s offense. Remember Chaz Green and the Atlanta game in 2017? Probably cost us a playoff spot that year. Having a competent OLineman who can play multiple positions competently for short runs is critical for a playoff run.
So where are we today in our depth in our OL? According to the “Our Lads” site, here is the current depth chart for our line:
  • LT- starter- Tyron Smith. Backups are Matt Waletzko (hurt right now) and Avante Collins
  • LG- starter- Tyler Smith. Backup is Connor McGovern
  • C- starter is Tyler Biadaz. Backup is Matt Farniok.
  • RG- starter is Zack Martin. Backups are Braden Jones and Issac Alarcon
  • RT- starter is Terrance Steele. Backups are Josh Ball and Aaron Simon
That’s 13 guys at OL and obviously we can’t keep them all.

My big question is- who will fill the very important depth role of Swing Tackle? Tyler Smith has been mentioned as the guy most likely to step in for Tyron Smith when he goes down. But are we sure that’s the best option? Maybe. But if Tyler S is playing well at LG, would it be better to have a veteran backup who could step in?

Bottom line for me- I hope when SJ says they are “keeping their powder dry” for some additional moves, they will consider finding a versatile veteran who can step into a depth role. I want to get rid of the bad memories of counting on a Chaz Green type again.

Either that on we are going to be hoping Josh Ball or Matt Waletzko (who’s hurt) are going to have to make a very speedy developmental move.

Thoughts?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
In the modern cap era of the NFL, depth is often is the hidden key to success in the long haul of an NFL season. And because of the cap, depth is a lot harder to accomplish than it was in the 90s when the Cowboys had depth in droves.

These days, if your team has signed some key expensive pieces that take a lot of cap space- like QB, LT, pass rusher, corner, etc, one of the biggest challenges is being able to have enough depth when (not if) the injuries happen during a season.

IMO, there are a couple of key position areas where depth is critical to make a serious run in the playoffs. But none is more critical than this one:
  • Swing Tackle- having an O-Lineman who is versatile enough to plug in for a few games at either tackle position is critical for the success of a team’s offense. Remember Chaz Green and the Atlanta game in 2017? Probably cost us a playoff spot that year. Having a competent OLineman who can play multiple positions competently for short runs is critical for a playoff run.
So where are we today in our depth in our OL? According to the “Our Lads” site, here is the current depth chart for our line:
  • LT- starter- Tyron Smith. Backups are Matt Waletzko (hurt right now) and Avante Collins

My big question is- who will fill the very important depth role of Swing Tackle? Tyler Smith has been mentioned as the guy most likely to step in for Tyron Smith when he goes down. But are we sure that’s the best option? Maybe. But if Tyler S is playing well at LG, would it be better to have a veteran backup who could step in?

Bottom line for me- I hope when SJ says they are “keeping their powder dry” for some additional moves, they will consider finding a versatile veteran who can step into a depth role. I want to get rid of the bad memories of counting on a Chaz Green type again.

Either that on we are going to be hoping Josh Ball or Matt Waletzko (who’s hurt) are going to have to make a very speedy developmental move.

Thoughts?

First thought (Hope maybe) we see something in TC that fixes it. Second thought is yeah we have money sitting there to address this comming out of Pre Season if we need to...expectation: it will be addressed and not to my satisfaction....Just what i see Bob. I also have the same feeling at DT just more optimisim for a young 2nd year to step up and fix it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My thoughts are that we need to wait to see what happens in camp with Waletzko and Ball. Waletzko should be back practicing next week, which is fine because you can’t tell too much on OL before the pads come on.

If neither of those guys can do it yet, then you go get a swing tackle. Dallas has the second most cap room in the league.

Seems simple enough.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?
The most important position is QB...if you don't have a quality back up at QB, no OL is gonna put you over there top.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Glad someone else sees the impending doom...Tyron Smith and Martin are old...and wearing down. Been in the trenches for a long time. Big seasons for Biadasz and McGovern...Tyler Smith is the big unknown...I fear we will turn to him when Tyron goes down...and that will start the musical chairs along the Oline...and that's never a good thing. If we end up moving Tyler sll around..I worry that just stunts his growth....which we tend to do with high draft picks..and then that leads to them turning into busts.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Good post. Last year the o-line was like playing musical chairs. They cannot shift players all over the place, you must have competent backups for key positions.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
The trenches, on both sides, will be this team’s undoing. Completely foolish to enter the season with the trenches in such bad shape. Maybe some changes will come before the second regular season game, but personally, I’m not hopeful.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glad someone else sees the impending doom...Tyron Smith and Martin are old...and wearing down. Been in the trenches for a long time. Big seasons for Biadasz and McGovern...Tyler Smith is the big unknown...I fear we will turn to him when Tyron goes down...and that will start the musical chairs along the Oline...and that's never a good thing. If we end up moving Tyler sll around..I worry that just stunts his growth....which we tend to do with high draft picks..and then that leads to them turning into busts.
I don’t necessarily see impending doom. But I have noticed this FO in the past has not seemed to put a lot of emphasis on having depth at a key position like tackle. Like you said though Floaty…lots of unknowns. But there is plenty of time to fix it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course QB is the most important position. But if he’s most important, having depth at OL is equally important to keeping your QB upright…right?
Not really....a great QB can make or break an OL. That's why having a quality backup is imperative.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Making the argument as to why the OL of a team is more important than the QB simply begins w/the quarterback’s necessity for an above average OL.

Without such an OL, it is literally impossible for any QB, regardless of talent, to gain even moderate success. The reason behind this correlation is simple. On average, a QB needs approximately 4.5 seconds to complete a pass. For deeper passes or more complicated routes, a QB may even need more time before releasing the ball. Hence the reason some Zoners claim Dak holds on to the ball too long.

However, without an efficient OL, the QB will begin to be pressured within as little time as 1.5 seconds. No QB can ever succeed under such conditions. Some don't understand this & therefore just claim, Dak sucks.

75boyz

Reaction score
Hmmmm...
Could this HC, OC and QB achieve the level of success that CIN, KC and GB did with their o-lines last year?

CIN - Darn near worst in the league.
KC - Replaced/all new 5 starters.
GB- lost All Pro LT, then the guard that replaced him after a few games, leaving the 3rd body @ LT from about mid season onward.

Not sure Dallas, historically that is, has been quite as good at winning games without having 1st rd draft picks in their prime performing. When losing starters on the oline or personnel shuffling has taken place, the result has been a pretty dysfunctional Cowboy offense in the past.

I consider excellent to outstanding Left Tackle play for this team's chance at success as vitally important.

An extremely competent swing Tackle is a must have.

jmo

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Good post. The only reason I'll disagree it's the most important depth position "in general" is because it's possible you never need a swing Tackle in a particular season if your starters are good and stay healthy. You will always need a 3rd or 4th CB/WR and DL due to rotation and specialty alignments. For the Cowboys though I agree because there is unfortunately almost zero chance T Smith 77 makes it thru the year without missing time.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The most important position is QB...if you don't have a quality back up at QB, no OL is gonna put you over there top.
I’d have to agree but if we lose our starting QB a deep playoff run is probably out anyway. Unless we brought in a seasoned veteran or had a top draft choice in waiting .

You’d think with an injury prone QB now a backup QB would be a bigger priority unless we’re willing to accept the consequences.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/surprising-number-of-ots-available.497940/

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Thoughts?

Our backup tackles *could* be Tyler Smith at LT, Zach Marting at RT. Backfill the opened G spot with McGovern. That gets our best 5 on the field.

The choice to bring in a veteran probably comes down to how many of our young OTs do they want to keep on the roster.

Looking at that depth, I'd say we should be thinking about an interior lineman, especially if moving either Tyler or Zach is considered a first option for backup T.

We lost two starting linemen. OT and G. We have yet to do anything to replace them. We don't have much depth across the oline. McGovern is it. Some like Farniok too. But that's just 2 guys for 5 positions.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Bob, I have been beating a constant drum all offseason about our lack of OL depth.
We have a razor thin bench.
With Tyrone hurt every year its just crazy