The pre-season win vs Raiders was encouraging but needs some perspective

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last night’s pre-season win over the raiders was encouraging in several ways. Trey Lance looked better and flashed some of the talent that made him the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. His athleticism and arm strength was on display. Still needs lots of growth but the talent is visible. Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman showed some flashes as did several rookies on both sides of the ball.

But here’s some balancing perspective - Never trust a preseason performance as being a straight line to regular season success. It’s as old as NFL pre-season games itself. See a backup player or practice squad player make a few good plays in ps and think, “That guy is really good.” That can be very misleading for many reasons.

The difference between a ps game and regular season game is huge, and simply not a realistic gauge of regular season performance. It can give us glimpses of a player’s talent or potential but it is not testing them like a regular season NFL game.

In pre-season games:
  • Defenses play plain vanilla coverages and rarely if ever blitz. Which makes it way easier for QBs to not have to make a ton of coverage reads. PS defensive alignments are super basic.
  • It is easier for RBs in PS because they usually do not have to pick up blitzers. That changes in the regular season and will be something Deuce will need to improve on to get some regular season pt.
  • OL have less to worry about with exotic blitzes or stunts in pre-season. Communication between lineman is less challenging.
  • Defenses have less to worry about too. Most teams run their most basic pass routes and simplest running plays.
I am NOT saying there was nothing to like about last night’s ps win. I liked a lot that I saw from many of our players. Just need to keep it all in perspective.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Last night’s pre-season win over the raiders was encouraging in several ways. Try Lance looked better and flashed some of the talent that made him the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. His athleticism and arm strength was on display. Still needs lots of growth but the talent is visible. Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman showed some flashes as did several rookies on both sides of the ball.

But here’s some balancing perspective - Never trust a preseason performance as being a straight line to regular season success. It’s as old as NFL pre-season games itself. See a backup player or practice squad player make a few good plays in ps and think, “That guy is really good.” That can be very misleading for many reasons.

The difference between a ps game and regular season game is huge, and simply not a realistic gauge of regular season performance. It can give us glimpses of a player’s talent or potential but it is not testing them like a regular season NFL game.

In pre-season games:
  • Defenses play plain vanilla coverages and rarely if ever blitz. Which makes it way easier for QBs to not have to make a ton of coverage reads. PS defensive alignments are super basic.
  • It is easier for RBs in PS because they usually do not have to pick up blitzers. That changes in the regular season and will be something Deuce will need to improve on to get some regular season pt.
  • OL have less to worry about with exotic blitzes or stunts in pre-season. Communication between lineman is less challenging.
  • Defenses have less to worry about too. Most teams run their most basic pass routes and simplest running plays.
I am NOT saying there was nothing to like about last night’s ps win. I liked a lot that I saw from many of our players. Just need to keep it all in perspective.
Everyone knows it’s just a preseason game do you think we’re all stupid? Nothing wrong though in getting excited about the game and some of the players. No one’s proclaiming they’re in the Super Bowl. Let us have our enjoyment.

Aven8

Reaction score
Lance was meh. I’ve stated it several times however though, the D looks different. Hungry almost. Tackling has been superb. Yes it’s not starter’s but it just seems different

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Last night’s pre-season win over the raiders was encouraging in several ways. Try Lance looked better and flashed some of the talent that made him the 3rd pick in the 2021 draft. His athleticism and arm strength was on display. Still needs lots of growth but the talent is visible. Deuce Vaughn and Royce Freeman showed some flashes as did several rookies on both sides of the ball.

In pre-season games:
It's funny to me how much fans flop between opinions based on preseason performances. Last week, Lance was anathema. This week, some thinks he's the second coming.

Meanwhile, where we should remain is understanding that he's a player with little experience who needs a lot of work before he's ready to challenge for an NFL starting job, if he ever will be. It's good that he showed some of the positives of his ability, but he's also showed why the 49ers were willing to give up on him.

For some reason, we have to race to conclusions. He's never going to make it or put him in now.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

In pre-season games:
I'm going to like the win over the Browns in week 1.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would like to see our starters play 1 series. I mean, even the almighty Mahomes played in a preseason game. Guess we'll have to wait till week 1 of the regular season.
I think the staff/league is really buying into this idea of playing them in controlled scrimmage/practices. That way the QBs are off-limits, there's no tackling to the ground, etc. They still get work against other teams but with less chance of injury.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lance was meh. I’ve stated it several times however though, the D looks different. Hungry almost. Tackling has been superb. Yes it’s not starter’s but it just seems different
Lance looks better than most of the qbs that are playing around the league in week 2 of preseason.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

In pre-season games:
While that may be true, had the Cowboys come out and laid an egg . Looking terrible, I’m sure you would be putting more emphasis, credence and concern on their performance. Can’t have it both ways. Either you care or not.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While that may be true, had the Cowboys come out and laid an egg . Looking terrible, I’m sure you would be putting more emphasis, credence and concern on their performance. Can’t have it both ways. Either you care or not.
If they had laid an egg, I would have said the same thing…remember it’s a pre-season game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would like to see our starters play 1 series. I mean, even the almighty Mahomes played in a preseason game. Guess we'll have to wait till week 1 of the regular season.
I’m all for that as well however as long as the contract stuff is going on the QB won’t play and Lamb is out so it ain’t happening this year. Unless they sign this week? :omg:

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they had laid an egg, I would have said the same thing…remember it’s a pre-season game.
I'm a big fan, Bob. And I think we all know it's just preseason, but it was fun watching the 2's and 3's play well against 1's and 2's. Of course things weren't perfect, but it was great watching the physicality that has crept into the Cowboys' play. Even if it was preseason, it was fun.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
We are legendary for testing the will of even the most dedicated of fans trying to watch the trash that is usually our preseason games year in and year out. I'll take the win.

rambo2

Reaction score
It didn't hurt us in week 1 last year and the almighty Chiefs lost Hollywood Brown to injury.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Can't tell anything about preseason especially in today's game because most starters don't play. We'll know opening week.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You might consider typing this kind of disclaimer at the start of OPs. Everyone does not read them at the end. :)

Of course, not everyone will read them at the beginning of OPs either. :(

John813

Reaction score
Can't be too high or too low in preseason.

What is encouraging is the "growth" or settling down from Lance. May not mean much, but it's better to see a game like this past Saturday than an egg or a Stetson 4 INT show.

Also good to see another good showing from the rooks on the offensive line. Guyton was out there vs Crosby, which is a good test for him in week 2 PS.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is something that it doesn't hurt to have a fan tempted with.

Signs of life in the backfield

It is easy to root for Cowboys running back Deuce Vaughn. Undersized but plays with plenty of heart, Vaughn showed on Saturday night that his stature isn’t anything to worry about. On five carries, Vaughn finished with 34 yards, putting him at an average of 6.8 yards a carry. There’s plenty of opportunity for anyone to assist Ezekiel Elliot in the backfield, and Vaughn may be just the one to do it.

1. Earning a spot

In his preseason debut last week, Trey Lance didn’t show anything that would have anyone making the argument for him to be on the opening-day roster. However, on Saturday night, Lance made things a lot more interesting for the people who make those decisions. Lance was 15 of 23 with 151 yards and a touchdown pass while tied with Vaughn as the team’s leading rusher with 34 yards while adding a rushing score to his night.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...n-game-trey-lance-deuce-vaughn-brandon-aubrey