The Press, Press Conferences and Absurdity

Pokes12

Reaction score
I have been a Cowboys fan for longer than I care to remember. Think, Eddie LeBaron and you will understand. I have been to all the Super Bowls the Cowboys won in the 90s and to several others. The Cowboys have been an obsession of mine for decades. My following the Cowboys includes reading every article and watching all the press conferences.

I just came to an epiphany and wanted to share it with you all and get your reactions. Basically, when I read the articles or I see the press conferences I never and I mean never get any real information. What is said, either by Jerry, Mike or Dak or any other player being interviewed is basic BS. All the information is pap. Meaning I can utter the exact same things as if I were the interviewee. Before a game, the interviewee will say that "we had a great week of practice", "the coaches have put together a great game plan", "we have great respect for our opponents", "we look forward to the challenge", etc. etc. After a loss the interviewee, if it is Dak, says "we have to do better.", "we have to take care of the ball", " I promise you that I will be better next time". Garrett used to say, "Its a process". It is all the same. Whether it is Jerry, Mike or Dak the responses are the same, totally predictable and unsatisfactory. And yet, we ( I mean me) continue this madness, always hoping for a break through and never getting one.

In the lates of our team's incredible collapse in the GB game we have been fed the same nonsense. I got to give Mike credit for coming up with a new one, "we have built a championship team, just not a world championship team". Are you kidding me????

To date no one has taken responsibility or explained how a team that was 16-0 at home could lose to a team that barely make the playoffs in such a lopsided way. The Cowboys were never really in this game from the moment that GB scored its first touchdown. The score and the stats mask what an incredible beat down this was. And yet, no one addresses the core issue. How did it happen and why does it happen year after year. How can you fix a problem if you don't identify the cause??

As an observer of the team for a long time I can get a pretty good sense of how the team will play by watching them come out of the tunnel. To me the past two playoff games with SF were sealed when I watched the team in the tunnel and as they came out. I saw the glazed look in Dak's eyes. It said to me, "I don't want to be here", "I am scared". Please do not think I am a hater. I am not. I think Dak is a wonderful representative for the Cowboys and a good QB. He just does not possess, the "It" factor. He does not have the heart of a champion. I saw the same thing last Sunday. Dak looked scared or at least in a sort of trance.

Years ago I read an article that described those players who want the ball in the last seconds of a game (Michael Jordan) and those that do not (Scottie Pippin). Scottie was a good to great player in his own right but he did not have the mindset to take the last shot. I am convinced that Dak is Scottie and not Jordan.

I guess I have rambled on a bit and gotten off topic. The point is that Sports is fundamentally entertainment for money. We supply the $$ and they entertain us. I wonder how much of this league is sports and how much is just entertainment. I saw a clip of Cee Dee and Cook after the game jogging around the corridors of the stadium back to the locker room after the game. They did not look disappointed or upset at all. They both looked quite at ease with smiles on their faces. Could it be that we, the fans, take the games a lot more to heart than any of the players?

I appreciate your letting me ramble on and get some things off my chest. It is hard for me to break the Cowboys habit but I wonder how much more of the same old I can take. How about you??

Thoughts

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have been a Cowboys fan for longer than I care to remember. Think, Eddie LeBaron and you will understand. I have been to all the Super Bowls the Cowboys won in the 90s and to several others. The Cowboys have been an obsession of mine for decades. My following the Cowboys includes reading every article and watching all the press conferences.

I just came to an epiphany and wanted to share it with you all and get your reactions. Basically, when I read the articles or I see the press conferences I never and I mean never get any real information. What is said, either by Jerry, Mike or Dak or any other player being interviewed is basic BS. All the information is pap. Meaning I can utter the exact same things as if I were the interviewee. Before a game, the interviewee will say that "we had a great week of practice", "the coaches have put together a great game plan", "we have great respect for our opponents", "we look forward to the challenge", etc. etc. After a loss the interviewee, if it is Dak, says "we have to do better.", "we have to take care of the ball", " I promise you that I will be better next time". Garrett used to say, "Its a process". It is all the same. Whether it is Jerry, Mike or Dak the responses are the same, totally predictable and unsatisfactory. And yet, we ( I mean me) continue this madness, always hoping for a break through and never getting one.

In the lates of our team's incredible collapse in the GB game we have been fed the same nonsense. I got to give Mike credit for coming up with a new one, "we have built a championship team, just not a world championship team". Are you kidding me????

To date no one has taken responsibility or explained how a team that was 16-0 at home could lose to a team that barely make the playoffs in such a lopsided way. The Cowboys were never really in this game from the moment that GB scored its first touchdown. The score and the stats mask what an incredible beat down this was. And yet, no one addresses the core issue. How did it happen and why does it happen year after year. How can you fix a problem if you don't identify the cause??

As an observer of the team for a long time I can get a pretty good sense of how the team will play by watching them come out of the tunnel. To me the past two playoff games with SF were sealed when I watched the team in the tunnel and as they came out. I saw the glazed look in Dak's eyes. It said to me, "I don't want to be here", "I am scared". Please do not think I am a hater. I am not. I think Dak is a wonderful representative for the Cowboys and a good QB. He just does not possess, the "It" factor. He does not have the heart of a champion. I saw the same thing last Sunday. Dak looked scared or at least in a sort of trance.

Years ago I read an article that described those players who want the ball in the last seconds of a game (Michael Jordan) and those that do not (Scottie Pippin). Scottie was a good to great player in his own right but he did not have the mindset to take the last shot. I am convinced that Dak is Scottie and not Jordan.

I guess I have rambled on a bit and gotten off topic. The point is that Sports is fundamentally entertainment for money. We supply the $$ and they entertain us. I wonder how much of this league is sports and how much is just entertainment. I saw a clip of Cee Dee and Cook after the game jogging around the corridors of the stadium back to the locker room after the game. They did not look disappointed or upset at all. They both looked quite at ease with smiles on their faces. Could it be that we, the fans, take the games a lot more to heart than any of the players?

I appreciate your letting me ramble on and get some things off my chest. It is hard for me to break the Cowboys habit but I wonder how much more of the same old I can take. How about you??

Thoughts
I rarely read posts that are over 1 paragraph long.
Yours was worth the read............

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree that today's players "seem" to be okay with everything, win or lose. To them it's just a business...they play football and make money....nothing more, nothing less. It's really sad. I know there are probably some exceptions to this, but I do believe the majority of players (on all teams) have this same mentality. Guess it's just how it is. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is aggravating.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post!!!

This paragraph perfectly describes Dak. Very well said. Before long he will be the highest paid QB in the league???

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Very nice post to read...

That being said, there is no accountability because think about it, there is no answer. The real answer to give you would be the following:

- as you did i saw the team come out of the tunnel, Dak look worried...folks who haven't seen the clip of the team walking out with Dak first can go on Youtube...eerily similar to 49ers...where is our boombox, trent williams and deebo setting the tone?

- the WR was upset at the QB early for missing and making mistakes, made our all-pro QB press

- with the statistics coming into the game I, MM stuck to the run too early making us predictable. Should have used the same game plan in Miami and came out passing.

- once the QB threw the pick 6 - it sealed the morale on the sideline

he will never say any of these things, all of which as TRUE fans we know rung true in the game. I'm sure there are more, like miscues and pass-offs (Gilmore to Kearse) for the WHOLE team being unprepared. coach knows those who watch football know what is going on...this loss is solely to blame on the players and I do think for that reason there is a slight reason to bring MM back but eat Dak's cap hit...as I fan i'd rather have Dak go in as a lame duck and only re-coup a comp pick than restructure - restructure = Dak getting replaced via injury

Cas2800

Reaction score
CeeDee , Pollard, McCarthy and the everyone else all saw the same look in Daks eyes. Its the look of fear and they know all too well what's coming next.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good post

When your making a ton of money no matter how you perform, kinda takes away that fire from many.
Yes, there are those that still just want to win...but there are plenty who take that paycheck and don't dwell on it at all. Probably just gonna get worse with the money in college now too.

JustChip

Reaction score
I agree that today's players "seem" to be okay with everything, win or lose. To them it's just a business...they play football and make money....nothing more, nothing less. It's really sad. I know there are probably some exceptions to this, but I do believe the majority of players (on all teams) have this same mentality. Guess it's just how it is. Doesn't mean we have to like it, but it is aggravating.
Yep. FA and the enormous money have changed the NFL culture. Diron Talbert and Harvey Martin would exchange signed jerseys today, not a funeral wreath tossed into the locker room.

But that doesn’t mean that players aren’t competitive or don’t want to win. They do. But it makes coaching that much more important.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Thoughts
Great post. I mentioned I saw that look on Dak's face and it's not the first time I saw it. Dallas is just too much pressure for him. He actually needs to get out of here for his own sanity because the pressure isn't going to get any better.

JustChip

Reaction score
Good post

When your making a ton of money no matter how you perform, kinda takes away that fire from many.
Same can be said for ownership. Having won 3 Super Bowls already and early probably lessens the desire as well.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
RATHER THEM JUST BE HONEST NOW, who cares about all the stuff they're trying to sell us, just flat out say we stunk, Steele didn't block, kearse got burned all day, Clark missed tackles because he's too small! I mean just call it out

kevinhickey

Reaction score

Thoughts
I bet Jerry and company went over the process for that press conference days before that happened. He probably informed the press what they could ask them in advance. “Your not getting invited to anymore steak dinners if you make us look bad”; Jerry would tell them. It felt scripted! JaneSlater is probably a vegetarian.

Pokes12

Reaction score
RATHER THEM JUST BE HONEST NOW, who cares about all the stuff they're trying to sell us, just flat out say we stunk, Steele didn't block, kearse got burned all day, Clark missed tackles because he's too small! I mean just call it out
That is the point. Have you heard any explanation for what happened Sunday? Other than saying they were all disappointed what is the reason for that and the other failures? It is NOT a coincidence that Dak is 2-5 and that we just cannot beat any decent team in the playoffs or in the regular season.

Is it possible we are all overhyped by the Dallas and national press into thinking we have more talent than we actually do? Maybe this team is over producing during their 12-5 seasons and they really are just not that good.

Pokes12

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the CEE DEE and Dak issues in the GB game?
Can anyone explain Micah's disappearing act?
Can anyone explain the stupid penalties the Cowboys took in the first quarter?
Can anyone explain the fact that GB receivers were running free and open all day?
Can anyone explain the inability to stop GB in the run and pass?
Can anyone explain why Turpin kept fielding the kickoffs and running to the 20?

Just asking for a friend.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the CEE DEE and Dak issues in the GB game?
Can anyone explain Micah's disappearing act?
Can anyone explain the stupid penalties the Cowboys took in the first quarter?
Can anyone explain the fact that GB receivers were running free and open all day?
Can anyone explain the inability to stop GB in the run and pass?
Can anyone explain why Turpin kept fielding the kickoffs and running to the 20?

Just asking for a friend.
They're going to give the same explanation we're working on it we will be better, CEEDEE is a competitor

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Great post. I mentioned I saw that look on Dak's face and it's not the first time I saw it. Dallas is just too much pressure for him. He actually needs to get out of here for his own sanity because the pressure isn't going to get any better.
Good observation.
I think it's best for both parties for Dak to play elsewhere next year.
I doubt Jerry would explore it, but it would be a smart football man move.