CFZ The reality of our Cowboys

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m going to break this up into a few major talking points that are undeniable and can’t get over looked:

- Front office
- Coaching staff
- Roster depth

Front office:

Are you kidding me? Where do I begin? A lot of people keep placing Dak at the helm for ALL of the cowboy’s problems. As much as Dak is to blame for a lot of them, there’s only one team of guys that believes in him and it seems to be the front office crew. Over the years it seems like there’s certain teams that just seem to pick players beyond the 1st round that seem to become phenomenal players as time goes on. Just as a quick reference Malcolm Butler was undrafted in 2014. Why can’t we find anyone like a Malcolm Butler? Why can’t we hire scouts that find these needles in needle stacks? Even a player who’s a one hit wonder and catches a game winning touchdown pass or a game changing catch in a tight game? Why do our 2nd and 3rd stringers lack ability as well?

Your answer: Jerry Jones

I’ve become convinced that it isn’t so much a “curse” that haunts this team, but poor ownership from a man who trusts his own opinion a little too much. In this business for him, it feels like he’s going to sign guys that WILL sell jersey’s ASAP. It feels like he goes after talent with personality over talent with the ability to win.

More jersey’s = more money for Jer Bear, catch my drift?

Coaching staff:

McCarthy I advocated for myself. When I heard Dallas hired him I thought in no way would it be worse than Jason Garrett and while I still don’t believe it’s worse than the Garrett regime I will have to say I’m less than impressed with McCarthy and at times Dan Quinn as well. Everyone’s taking to hating on Dak so much no one seems to be discussing the atrocity that was our defense falling over themselves. Sure, the offense was on the benches more than they were on the field and that hurt the defense A LOT. But I didn’t hear Parson’s number at all. I didn’t see this defensive line swarming the ball on the 49ers. I don’t think this D-Line is as menacing as we all thought. I understand it’s one game, I just think we all expected purdy to have a far more difficult time than he did. We all knew 49ers were going to score, but 40+? Yikes.

Roster depth:

*trigger warning

A huge issue we have that isn’t being addressed besides Dak Prescott is our lack of depth to this offense at all. I don’t think CeeDee Lamb is a takeover receiver. I think he’s a good receiver and having him is better than not having him. But he isn’t a #1 and quite frankly neither is Brandon Cooks.

Our offensive line is DOG WATER. I have never seen that offensive line getting shoved around as much as they have been and how much they did in that game in the time I have been a fan. And because of their inability to pickup key blocks so the running backs can hit wide open gaps, brings the next trigger warning.

Tony Pollard is NOT a #1 running back. TP is great and he’s exciting to watch. But it seems like he did far better when he was used intermittently. Giving him every snap seems to have an adverse effect on his abilities. Oh and by the way, who the heck is Rico Dowdle?

This is not everything wrong with the team, just a brief summary of what I believe is the top 3 issues with this team:

- Poor scouting and selections from our less than mediocre front office leading to issues with our offensive and defensive schemes and off the field behavioral issues that is never addressed

- Lack of ability and scheming from our HC/DC/OC that lead to back breaking blowouts against great teams

- Less than acceptable roster depth that we seem to have scraped together because we put all our eggs in one basket paying Dak

Do you guys agree or disagree?
The last 2 drafts haven’t been good or provided any immediate impact. MM is looking less smart by the day as his past success seems to have been tied to HOF QBs.

Rajveer

Reaction score
Coaches have come and gone, players have come and gone, one thing has remained constant and that is the root cause of all issues.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am not going to overreact to the SF loss anymore. It was the first time in 163 games going back to November 2013 since the Cowboys lost a game by 30 or more points.

This team has issues but I don't think it is as bad as what we saw Sunday night. Going back toe week 1 after the Cowboys blew out the Giants, I said the Cowboys were not as good as they looked and the Giants not as bad as they looked. The Giants are almost was bad as they looked but we know now the Cowboys are not as good as they looked. Sometimes teams just get blown out without explanation. The Cowboys lost to basically the same team less than a year ago 19-12.

The offense has problems for sure. I think a good part of that is scheme related which means it can be fixed. I do think they have the players. Maybe we could use an upgrade here or there, but overall the talent is there. The only question is if the coaches will make the right adjustments.

The defense was clearly overrated from the early success they had. The Cardinals exploited some holes in the run defense. The 49ers exploited holes in the pass defense. I think losing Diggs hurt much more than we may have thought. Losing LVE is going to hurt too. But I think there is a problem in the secondary because I am seeing too many coverage breakdowns and too many big plays. We anointed Quinn but the Cardinals and 49ers hit a lot of big plays against our defense.

I think the Cowboys made some mistakes with the roster. Not keeping a backup Center was 1, and being thin at LB was another. I just do not see how you go into the season with no backup C on the roster only to wind up scrambling for a backup which required them to try to sneak a LB onto the practice squad and in the end they lost him - they lost Cox the same way. They were thin on both of these positions because they went for an extra RB in Deuce Vaughn who I think is just not an NFL talent. They also kept Eric Scott who looked awful in preseason. The also kept CJ Goodwin who is a special teams player which I think is a luxury when you are traying to stash position players on your roster. Nothing against CJ, but you have to have priorities.

Then we have players who are underperforming. Maybe they are using him wrong, but Brandin Cooks has been virtually useless. Terence Steele is not the guy we saw before his injury, neither is Tony Pollard. On defense, Kearse has been awful and Donovan Wilson is the the same player he was before he was injured. To a lesser degree, Dorance Armstrong has not been good at DE and Gilmore is a liability against speedy WRs. Arizona and SF both hit plays against Gilmore.

I still think Dallas is a good team, but nowhere near as good as we thought. Until they beat a top team we have to consider them a little better than average.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m going to break this up into a few major talking points that are undeniable and can’t get over looked:

- Front office
- Coaching staff
- Roster depth

Front office:

Are you kidding me? Where do I begin? A lot of people keep placing Dak at the helm for ALL of the cowboy’s problems. As much as Dak is to blame for a lot of them, there’s only one team of guys that believes in him and it seems to be the front office crew. Over the years it seems like there’s certain teams that just seem to pick players beyond the 1st round that seem to become phenomenal players as time goes on. Just as a quick reference Malcolm Butler was undrafted in 2014. Why can’t we find anyone like a Malcolm Butler? Why can’t we hire scouts that find these needles in needle stacks? Even a player who’s a one hit wonder and catches a game winning touchdown pass or a game changing catch in a tight game? Why do our 2nd and 3rd stringers lack ability as well?

Your answer: Jerry Jones

I’ve become convinced that it isn’t so much a “curse” that haunts this team, but poor ownership from a man who trusts his own opinion a little too much. In this business for him, it feels like he’s going to sign guys that WILL sell jersey’s ASAP. It feels like he goes after talent with personality over talent with the ability to win.

More jersey’s = more money for Jer Bear, catch my drift?

Coaching staff:

McCarthy I advocated for myself. When I heard Dallas hired him I thought in no way would it be worse than Jason Garrett and while I still don’t believe it’s worse than the Garrett regime I will have to say I’m less than impressed with McCarthy and at times Dan Quinn as well. Everyone’s taking to hating on Dak so much no one seems to be discussing the atrocity that was our defense falling over themselves. Sure, the offense was on the benches more than they were on the field and that hurt the defense A LOT. But I didn’t hear Parson’s number at all. I didn’t see this defensive line swarming the ball on the 49ers. I don’t think this D-Line is as menacing as we all thought. I understand it’s one game, I just think we all expected purdy to have a far more difficult time than he did. We all knew 49ers were going to score, but 40+? Yikes.

Roster depth:

*trigger warning

A huge issue we have that isn’t being addressed besides Dak Prescott is our lack of depth to this offense at all. I don’t think CeeDee Lamb is a takeover receiver. I think he’s a good receiver and having him is better than not having him. But he isn’t a #1 and quite frankly neither is Brandon Cooks.

Our offensive line is DOG WATER. I have never seen that offensive line getting shoved around as much as they have been and how much they did in that game in the time I have been a fan. And because of their inability to pickup key blocks so the running backs can hit wide open gaps, brings the next trigger warning.

Tony Pollard is NOT a #1 running back. TP is great and he’s exciting to watch. But it seems like he did far better when he was used intermittently. Giving him every snap seems to have an adverse effect on his abilities. Oh and by the way, who the heck is Rico Dowdle?

This is not everything wrong with the team, just a brief summary of what I believe is the top 3 issues with this team:

- Poor scouting and selections from our less than mediocre front office leading to issues with our offensive and defensive schemes and off the field behavioral issues that is never addressed

- Lack of ability and scheming from our HC/DC/OC that lead to back breaking blowouts against great teams

- Less than acceptable roster depth that we seem to have scraped together because we put all our eggs in one basket paying Dak

Do you guys agree or disagree?
They drafted Tyler Smith at #24. In a re-draft he would be the first OL drafted that year.

DeRon Bland has the most INTs over the time period that he has been in the league.

This year's 3rd round pick was the star of training camp until getting injured.

Dak has exceeded expectations for a 4th round QB.

Terrence Steele was a UDFA.

They drafted Diggs at #51. He was the 8th CB taken in that draft but is the best of that bunch.

Pollard was a 4th round pick.

Biadasz 4th round.

D. Wilson 6th round.

Their 2nd and 3rd LBs are a 5th round pick and a UDFA.

Most of the non-rookie draft picks on the roster are at or above expectations for their draft spot.

All teams have some draft failures.

The Cowboys primary mistake over the past decade was keeping Garrett and Marinelli. That is the one area where they failed with regards to team personnel.