The Rivalry: No Love For The Dallas Cowboys

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Merrill Reese, Eagles Play-by-Play Radio Announcer

"I've always hated Dallas in a football sense. It's a fun thing to have one rival that you hate more than any other. When I was a little kid, their middle linebacker Lee Roy Jordan kicked out Timmy Brown's teeth. I've never forgotten that. And like everyone else, I hated that they were called America's Team ... There was a long period of time when they were superior. They were so tough to beat. They were the team that beat you year in and year out. They had Tom Landry who was a wonderful coach, but was not an endearing figure ... There's no question that my favorite Dallas-Eagles game was on January 11, 1980. It was a bitterly cold day at Veterans Stadium, but I can still see Wilbert Montgomery exploding off the right side, running for the touchdown in the first quarter. We knew that day that team was going to

Rob Renz - Eagles Fan

"Anticipation, excitement, like a kid waiting for Christmas! The season schedule is out! Scroll up and down quickly, two games COWBOYS, the evil empire vs. US, the team, the fans, the city vs. THEM! Plan the tailgate party for OUR home-field advantage. Who will be the lucky friend or family member to host the away game? Eagles vs. Cowboys - it just defines rivalry!"

Mike Quick, Former Wide Receiver

"I didn't hate Dallas until I came into the league and realized how pompous and how arrogrant the whole Dallas scene was. For me, I quickly learned to have a real strong disdain for the Dallas Cowboys, the star and all of that. I didn't realize how big it was in Philadelphia, in the community, to the players until I came out of the tunnel for my very first game I played against Dallas and my mentor was Harold Carmichael. I looked up in his face and he had big crocodile tears falling down. It scared the hell out of me, but at that point I realized how big a game that was playing against the Cowboys. So, I just tightened my chin strap a little bit tighter."

Bob Govan - Eagles Fan

"Every year as soon as the schedule comes out you look for the Eagles - Cowboys game. It becomes your focus. The countdown starts. You wait for it like Christmas morning when you were six."

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/features/WhyWeHateDallas.asp

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1739639 said:
Mike Quick, Former Wide Receiver

"I didn't hate Dallas until I came into the league and realized how pompous and how arrogrant the whole Dallas scene was.

Ahhh, it's like jumping in the swimming pool on a boiling hot day. Pure bliss.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Starting this Sunday, we will re-establish our dominance once again. :D

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
"Every year as soon as the schedule comes out you look for the Eagles - Cowboys game. It becomes your focus. The countdown starts. You wait for it like Christmas morning when you were six."

Just another game to us. Good luck with that inferiority complex.

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Could their hatred be called "trophy envy" because this :lombardi: looks alot better than this :trophy: ?! Like someone on here so eloquently stated on their tag line: EMBRACE THE HATE!

adamknite

Reaction score
Top Five Reason's I hate the Cowboys:

5. Jerry Jones: He's rich and can afford to have face lifts and plastic surgery he shouldn't be so pompous and overbearing

4. Hole in the Roof: If Jerry is so rich why doesn't he just fix the thing already!? It's been there for years, surely he's noticed it. He's from Arkansas, use some plywood and duct tape.... anything.

3. Cheaters: They've always been cheaters, just look at how many rules are named after their players. It's crazy, the NFL has these rules in place and here are the Cowboys defying them and getting away with it. From Michael Irvin pushing off to Roy Williams snapping people's legs.... bunch of dirty players.

2. Stop smiling: Romo freaking smiles too much, geez. He's Enjoying every second he's playing it's disgusting, this is football. You're supposed to be mean and tough not always smiling and having a good time. Also, Don't get me started on his backwards cap wearing.

1. America's Team: They're America's Team and always will be, no matter how hard the media tries they just can't seem to get that title away from them. The shirts, signs, it's everywhere, it makes me sick.

people will find anything to complain about.

StylisticS

Reaction score
BehindEnemyLinez;1739662 said:
Could their hatred be called "trophy envy" because this :lombardi: looks alot better than this :trophy: ?! Like someone on here so eloquently stated on their tag line: EMBRACE THE HATE!

That's all it is. There hatred is based on jealousy. I think the rivalry is one-sided. I, and I bet most Cowboy fans would say this, hate the Commanders much more than the Eagles.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
No matter how many times you read the examples of how pathetic these jealous losers are, it still amazes you.

Even the play-by-play guy... That's just shameful.

sago1

Reaction score
I've read the same complaints from Skins & Giant fans on their fan boards. It's just amazing some of the dumb stuff which upsets them. Throw in their hatred of the star on our helmets, Romo's smile (always refer to Romo as Homo), Folk's earrings, RW, believe refs don't call penalties on us, believe NFL FO wants Cowboys to win, and all Cowboy fans are hangers on who don't know anything about their own team, etc.

The Cowboys act no different than any other football team but fans of other teams see what they want. Whenever any team plays the Cowboys, we always get their A game. Their hatred of individual Cowboy players is patheticand almost nutty. I hate the Giants but don't resort to name calling of Eli, Strahan, etc. Same goes for Skins & Eagles (except for McChunky).

All comes down to jealousy. Despite our recent losing ways, our grip on the public's affection remains strong. Remember when Jason Taylor just before Cowboy-Dolphin game, ripped down a Cowboy poster. Other teams resent the presence of so many Cowboy fans at their games when we play them in their own stadium. Have read many times when theirs players think there should be a law to somehow stop Cowboy fans from attending their games. The perceive the media as fawning on us & resent our frequency of appearance on national games ignoring high ratings we draw. Of course we hear the media criticism of us, but other teams just let that go in one ear and out the other. It didn't escape their notice about our international drew either. Giants fans real upset to see so many Romo & other Cowboy shirts over in England.

For our division rivals, their day is made whenever their is a Cowboy loss or something bad happens to the Cowboys. The emergence of a possible franchise QB for the Cowboys in Romo (didn't even get drafted) while so many teams continue to struggle at that position (due to injury or poor drafting/luck) is more then they can stand.

mcnabbmcnow

Reaction score
StylisticS;1740078 said:
That's all it is. There hatred is based on jealousy. I think the rivalry is one-sided. I, and I bet most Cowboy fans would say this, hate the Commanders much more than the Eagles.

Yes, but you have to admit, over the last 6 or 7 years the Eagles have MAJORLY had the Cowboys number. Other than 2005 when Mcnabb was hurt, the Eagles have OWNED the Cowboys, and beat them up handily a number of times.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1740109 said:
No matter how many times you read the examples of how pathetic these jealous losers are, it still amazes you.

Even the play-by-play guy... That's just shameful.

I cant stand merril reese. I use to pay for the radio pass on nfl.com, I would this to the other teams broadcast after the game and would always be amazed at what a rick with a p he is, and mike quick the analyst is worse. They would spend 20 minutes talking about how Dallas really isnt americas team and I can remember in 03 when we played them here and one all they did was make fun of the hole in the roof. Reese is one of the people I cant stand.

I cant stand anything about philly though, so reese is just lumped in with the rest of them.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
mcnabbmcnow;1740156 said:
Yes, but you have to admit, over the last 6 or 7 years the Eagles have MAJORLY had the Cowboys number. Other than 2005 when Mcnabb was hurt, the Eagles have OWNED the Cowboys, and beat them up handily a number of times.

Wow some of that is not that big of an accomplishment. You have lots of wins in those 7 years within the division while the division has been down. Your still a good team, lot of talent but you have never actually won anything to really be able to brag. Very similar to the oakland A's or Atlanta Braves.

and you have beat us bad one time since parcells showed up, all the rest were tough fought games. And we whipped your tails once in that time period also.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
StylisticS;1740078 said:

Absolutely. If the Cowboys had as many trophies as say, the Cards, no one would even care to hate them.

But I still hate Philly more. I think killing the 'Skins, even in the Campo years has dampened my hate for them.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
sago1;1740152 said:
I've read the same complaints from Skins & Giant fans on their fan boards. It's just amazing some of the dumb stuff which upsets them. Throw in their hatred of the star on our helmets, Romo's smile (always refer to Romo as Homo), Folk's earrings, RW, believe refs don't call penalties on us, believe NFL FO wants Cowboys to win, and all Cowboy fans are hangers on who don't know anything about their own team, etc.

The Cowboys act no different than any other football team but fans of other teams see what they want. Whenever any team plays the Cowboys, we always get their A game. Their hatred of individual Cowboy players is patheticand almost nutty. I hate the Giants but don't resort to name calling of Eli, Strahan, etc. Same goes for Skins & Eagles (except for McChunky).

All comes down to jealousy. Despite our recent losing ways, our grip on the public's affection remains strong. Remember when Jason Taylor just before Cowboy-Dolphin game, ripped down a Cowboy poster. Other teams resent the presence of so many Cowboy fans at their games when we play them in their own stadium. Have read many times when theirs players think there should be a law to somehow stop Cowboy fans from attending their games. The perceive the media as fawning on us & resent our frequency of appearance on national games ignoring high ratings we draw. Of course we hear the media criticism of us, but other teams just let that go in one ear and out the other. It didn't escape their notice about our international drew either. Giants fans real upset to see so many Romo & other Cowboy shirts over in England.

For our division rivals, their day is made whenever their is a Cowboy loss or something bad happens to the Cowboys. The emergence of a possible franchise QB for the Cowboys in Romo (didn't even get drafted) while so many teams continue to struggle at that position (due to injury or poor drafting/luck) is more then they can stand.

very good post, good read.

One thing, do other fans actually have a problem with Romo's smile? I have never heard that yet and I find it hard to believe people would be that jealous to let that get to them.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
The one guy said he looked forward to playing Dallas as much as Christmas morning as a kid.

When a team, the players, the organization, the fans, and even the city itself hate another team this much, it has a tendency to make them play that much harder in the game against said team.

Don't overlook the Eagles this game.

Nothing would be worse than waking up Monday morning 6-2, unless it would be waking up 6-2 after playing the Iggles.

:eagles:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1740422 said:
The one guy said he looked forward to playing Dallas as much as Christmas morning as a kid.

When a team, the players, the organization, the fans, and even the city itself hate another team this much, it has a tendency to make them play that much harder in the game against said team.

Don't overlook the Eagles this game.

Nothing would be worse than waking up Monday morning 6-2, unless it would be waking up 6-2 after playing the Iggles.

:eagles:

It is the eagles the Cowboys will be ready.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1740426 said:
It is the eagles the Cowboys will be ready.

I have a gut feeling that they will be, .. but losing 12 of the last 18 games to them gives me a creepy feeling too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;1740430 said:
I have a gut feeling that they will be, .. but losing 12 of the last 18 games to them gives me a creepy feeling too.

That losing 12 of 18 is what will help drive this team. I like the fact that we are coming off the bye week and facing Philly. Our guys should be well rested and ready to go.