The Steve Young Love

mbanx

Reaction score
I was just listening to the radio 1310 The Ticket to be exact which I like even though they are hokie and d/a's alot of the time. I do not know who was on today but they said if you could only put in 3 QBs and Steve Young, Joe Montana, John Elway, and Troy Aikman were all eligible for enshrinement who gets left out? The guy said it would be Troy, now I am not a stats geek or guru and I know all of this crap is personal opinon, now match that with the fact I am a Cowboy fan and an Aikman fan I probably am coming across pretty much biased. The last I checked though Aikman won as many Superbowls as Elway lost and 2 more than Young has won. The stats, how dominant of schedules did they play when they won league MVP? Was the NFC west really as tough as the NFC east during those years? I am not being sarcastic I really do not remember. Did Elway have to face as good of competition as Aikman through a regular season? I do not want to take anything away from those guys and I do not really mean to aim this at them but more towards the media guys who now that as I type this I realize I have let them pull me in and bait me. Why do people have to go to school for 4 years just to spew BS. JMO

gbrittain

Reaction score
mbanx said:
I was just listening to the radio 1310 The Ticket to be exact which I like even though they are hokie and d/a's alot of the time. I do not know who was on today but they said if you could only put in 3 QBs and Steve Young, Joe Montana, John Elway, and Troy Aikman were all eligible for enshrinement who gets left out? The guy said it would be Troy, now I am not a stats geek or guru and I know all of this crap is personal opinon, now match that with the fact I am a Cowboy fan and an Aikman fan I probably am coming across pretty much biased. The last I checked though Aikman won as many Superbowls as Elway lost and 2 more than Young has won. The stats, how dominant of schedules did they play when they won league MVP? Was the NFC west really as tough as the NFC east during those years? I am not being sarcastic I really do not remember. Did Elway have to face as good of competition as Aikman through a regular season? I do not want to take anything away from those guys and I do not really mean to aim this at them but more towards the media guys who now that as I type this I realize I have let them pull me in and bait me. Why do people have to go to school for 4 years just to spew BS. JMO

Anyone who does not think Troy should be in the HOF, does not really know or understand football. They are people who only look at stats and judge a player by stats alone.

They are the same people who think Barry Sanders was a better RB than Emmitt. Barry was more flashy, better stats and more highlight reels. Meanwhile Emmitt did what was necessary to win games. Not as pretty on the highlight reel getting 2 yards on 3rd and 1 to clinch a game.

Stat junkies should not be allowed to make HOF judgements.

mbanx

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Anyone who does not think Troy should be in the HOF, does not really know or understand football. They are people who only look at stats and judge a player by stats alone.

They are the same people who think Barry Sanders was a better RB than Emmitt. Barry was more flashy, better stats and more highlight reels. Meanwhile Emmitt did what was necessary to win games. Not as pretty on the highlight reel getting 2 yards on 3rd and 1 to clinch a game.

Stat junkies should not be allowed to make HOF judgements.

Yes I am bumping my own thread, nobody else had anything to say on this? If not I shall bow out gracefully but not before I say congrats to Mr. Aikman and Wright.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
Steve Young should be left out! The AFC West wasthe toughest Division in the NFP for many of the years Elway played. I never liked him for not wanting to go to the Colts, but you have to give him is due.

The reason so many of the '70s Steelers are in the HOF is because they WON 4 SUPER BOWLS! For this reason alone Montana belongs. Since Troy is a runner up w/ 3 he goes (although I think Jay Novachek should be right there alongside him.) Young would not even have played in a SB if not for the poor officiating in the '94 Championship game, so he has no business in the HOF, but that won't stop them from putting him in. Besides that he's conceited...

mmurray21

Reaction score
I actually think the guy is right. Elway and Montana are heads and shoulders(Marino and Elway were the best of their generation) above Aikman and Young. The only reason I would give Young the nod is because he won the league MVP several times where Aikman would never really be considered the MVP of his team.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Young is in the hall based on the passer rating phenomena that the media has with it.
Eeewwwww. Young is so great because of his passer rating.
Give me a break!
Young was good but not great in my book.
He was a product of the West Coast offense.
Elway was great and would have been in the hall like Marino without a Super Bowl if not for Terrell Davis.
AIkman was never afforded the opportunity to carry the team with his arm because of Emmitt.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
J-DOG said:
Young is in the hall based on the passer rating phenomena that the media has with it.
Eeewwwww. Young is so great because of his passer rating.
Give me a break!
Young was good but not great in my book.
He was a product of the West Coast offense.
Elway was great and would have been in the hall like Marino without a Super Bowl if not for Terrell Davis.
AIkman was never afforded the opportunity to carry the team with his arm because of Emmitt.

So are you saying Aikman was a product of the ... system? ;)

Montana and Elway in. No question.

Elway took three undermanned teams to the Super Bowl. Montana was Mr. Clutch and his NFC Championship and Super Bowl play when the chips were down and time running out, speak for themselves.

I'm torn between Aikman and Young. Young was a better runner and, because of his system, a better passer.

But I also felt that Aikman was the better leader. He always had a steely confidence. Young seemed more erratic to me. I know that's subjective, but that's my take.

However, using pure objective measurements, I'd have to induct Young. He has a better passer rating and more mobility. And I believe the Cowboys would have accomplished the same with Young under center as they did with Aikman.

The difference in the Cowboys offense was really Emmitt Smith. I can recall when Aikman went down in the 91 season, the Cowboys continued to win with Steve Beurelin. When Emmitt held out the first two games of the 93 season, the Cowboys lost both games to the Skins and Bills.

Steve Young, by a hair.

hendog

Reaction score
Young is a joke. Look what he did for the Bucs. Nothing. HOF QB's take their team on their backs and carry them and Young couldn't even make them remotely competitive. He was a total product of the 49'ers team that was handed to him.

gbrittain

Reaction score
hendog said:
Young is a joke. Look what he did for the Bucs. Nothing. HOF QB's take their team on their backs and carry them and Young couldn't even make them remotely competitive. He was a total product of the 49'ers team that was handed to him.

I know I can't believe Young did not get Tampa Bay to a Superbowl in his rookie year in which he played in five games or his sophmore year.

A true bum that Young guy. Make an argument against him, but dont make up rediculous things.:rolleyes:

mbanx

Reaction score
hendog said:

Come on man I hate Young and I want to find flaws in his game as much as anybody but I cant support this argument. I seen an earlier thread that said Young would have done as well as Aikman in this system or on this team (I am not sure which, I am drinking beer disguised as dr. pepper in tribute to CBZ) what would Emmitt have done if you moved only him to SF? Please do not mistake this as a dishonor to Mr. Smith who I am a big fan of as well but I just want to see some responses if we move only 1 player to a team that we beat consistently, namely one of the triplets.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
mmurray21 said:
I actually think the guy is right. Elway and Montana are heads and shoulders(Marino and Elway were the best of their generation) above Aikman and Young. The only reason I would give Young the nod is because he won the league MVP several times where Aikman would never really be considered the MVP of his team.

Yeah he was MVP when it counted... in the SUPERBOWL!

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
when a backup QB goes on to do great things, I think it's more of the system in place, than the QB himself=Steven Young

but don't get me wrong, he was a hell of a QB, HOF worthy, but a by-product of Bill Walsh's WCO nonetheless

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
summerisfunner said:
but don't get me wrong, he was a hell of a QB, HOF worthy, but a by-product of Bill Walsh's WCO nonetheless
I remember saying the same thing about Montana during the 80's.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I remember saying the same thing about Montana during the 80's.

yeah, but did Montana rise from being a backup? I just think that Young stepped into a situation very conducive to great success

tyke1doe

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
when a backup QB goes on to do great things, I think it's more of the system in place, than the QB himself=Steven Young

And Emmitt's greatest was a by-product of having a great offensive line.

You really don't want to travel down that road, do you?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
And Emmitt's greatest was a by-product of having a great offensive line.

:lmao2: whatever, Emmitt didn't have 8 yard holes to run through everytime, he hit the hole like anyother back, but the difference was, he got alot of yards on his own, either making you miss, or carrying you and others a few yards down the field

that Oline argument is so ridiculous

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
btw, I'm just saying this, not to take anything away from Young, but to show you why it would be stupid to leave Aikman out of the Hall because of Young