The True MVP of Most Overrated Team is...

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Adam Vinatieri!!!

In an earlier thread, I stated my opinion that the Patriots are currently the most overrated team in the NFL.

In this thread I made a shocking assertion that the true MVP of the Patriots during their Superbowl run was Adam Vinatieri, yes, Adam Vinatieri, and NOT Tom Brady!

Naturally, I received quite a strong response dismissing and ridiculing this assertion. Well, I had some free time and decided to do some research on the Patriots' playoff runs in each of the three years in which they won the Superbowl. Here is what I found:

I broke down the point totals for Brady and Vinatieri during each playoff run. Take a look at this...

2001 playoffs
Vinatieri Brady

Divisional champ.(Raiders) 10pts 6pts

This is the game that made the tuck rule famous. Vinatieri kicked a game-tying 45 yd FG in heavy snow to send the game to OT. In OT, Vinatieri kicked the game-winning FG.

Conference champ.(Steelers) 6pts 0pts

Brady was a nonfactor in this game b/c he left early due to injury. Bledsoe came in and promptly led them to a TD on his first drive.

Superbowl champ.(Rams) 8pts 6pts

Brady got tons of credit for the game-winning drive but it was Vinatieri who nailed a 48yd game-winning FG as time expired. Vinatieri cemented his status as the ultimate clutch FG kicker in NFL history with that kick.

Total Points 24pts 12pts

Come on, it's not even close; Vinatieri is the MVP, not Brady!!

2003 playoffs
Vinatieri Brady

Divisional champ.(Titans) 5pts 6pts

Vinatieri kicked the game-winning 46yd FG late in the 4th quarter.

Conference champ.(Colts) 16pts 6pts

Vinatieri provided the bulk of their scoring with his 5 FG's and 1 extra pt.

Superbowl champ.(Panthers) 6pts 18pts

Brady, for the first time, provided the bulk of the scoring, but again, it was Vinatieri who kicked a 41 yd game-winning FG to seal it.

Total points 27pts 30pts

Brady barely edges out Vinatieri in point total, but Vinatieri kicks two clutch game-winning FG's of 41 and 46yds and carried the team against the Colts. It's close, but you've got to give the MVP to Vinatieri again, not Brady.

2004 playoffs
Vinatieri Brady

Divisional champ.(Colts) 8pts 12pts

Game was never close and both Vinatieri and Brady provide plenty of pts.

Conference champ.(Steelers) 11pts 12pts

Again, game not in contention as both provide plenty of scoring.

Superbowl champ.(Eagles) 6pts 12pts

Brady provides bulk of scoring but yet again, Vinatieri kicks a 22yd FG to put the Pats up by 10pts and the game out of reach in the 4th quarter.

Total points 25pts 36pts

This is the only year where the clear edge goes to Brady for MVP

Therefore, in considering all three playoff and Superbowl victories the...

Overall total points 76pts 78pts

So, Brady barely edges out Vinatieri but on the strength of Vinatieri's clutch game-tying and game-winning FG's and edge in the first two playoff years, it would be fair to say that Vinatieri is the TRUE MVP of the Patriots dynasty and NOT Brady!!!:eek:

Ashwynn

Reaction score
littlewebs said:
Keep tellin yourself that man.
I dont know how many TDs Adam threw compared to Brady. But I would wager without Brady, Adams legend would not be so huge and the Patriots would not have won the last 15 SB. If the kicker is your MVP, your QB sucks, more then likely your team sucks.

Dont fool yourself. Brady was and is the MVP of the Pats. Adam did what any kicker should do. Make kicks.

Eddie

Reaction score
Misery loves company.

Grow up man.

Give the Patriots credit. They did something only one other team has ever achieved in NFL history. Yet, you're coming in and calling them Over-rated.

Talk about jealousy.

We've sucked over the past 9 years and somehow, it would make you feel better to drag 3 time Super Bowl champions down to our level. OK, I agree ... does that make you feel better???

Boston Cowboy

Reaction score
Isn't this a Cowboys board? I can understand multiple threads about teams from the NFC East, but what's your hard on with the Pats about? Try putting these threads in the appropriate forum as well.

And to keep this on topic...Who do you think drove the Patriots down the field to get Adam in FG range? It surely wasn't any of their running backs.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Misery loves company.

Grow up man.

Give the Patriots credit. They did something only one other team has ever achieved in NFL history. Yet, you're coming in and calling them Over-rated.

Talk about jealousy.

We've sucked over the past 9 years and somehow, it would make you feel better to drag 3 time Super Bowl champions down to our level. OK, I agree ... does that make you feel better???

Obviously, you completely misunderstood my post on the Patriots being overrated NOW not during their Superbowl run.

I'm quite certain that happens with you quite a bit.:rolleyes:

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Ashwynn said:
I dont know how many TDs Adam threw compared to Brady. But I would wager without Brady, Adams legend would not be so huge and the Patriots would not have won the last 15 SB. If the kicker is your MVP, your QB sucks, more then likely your team sucks.

Dont fool yourself. Brady was and is the MVP of the Pats. Adam did what any kicker should do. Make kicks.

As I quite clearly showed with my statistical research, Brady threw very few TDs during the first two Superbowl runs, but Vinatieri made several, very tough game-winning kicks.

I was hoping for an intelligent rebuttal backed up by research and statistics, not fallacioius statements and asinine assertions.:confused:

MossBurner

Reaction score
dthahn said:
As I quite clearly showed with my statistical research, Brady threw very few TDs during the first two Superbowl runs, but Vinatieri made several, very tough game-winning kicks.

I was hoping for an intelligent rebuttal backed up by research and statistics, not fallacioius statements and asinine assertions.:confused:

You just said that the MVP for the 3 time Super Bowl Champs was their kicker and not their ALL-PRO QB. What the hell kind of responses do you think you'll get?!

This is definitely the stupidest football comment on this board I have ever read!