CFZ The upside and downside of trades

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we near the trade deadline, there are tons of possible trades being floated around here like candy on Halloween. Don’t get me wrong - I would like to see this roster upgraded, but there are upsides and downsides to making trades.

POSITIVES
  • If you can acquire a player or two that can improve your roster and competitiveness, you should do it.
  • A trade can energize the team’s psyche when they feel the front office is working hard to make the team better.
  • You can occasionally make a good trade without giving up too much.
  • The Cowboys have some day 2 and 3 draft picks that could be used as attractive trade bait.
NEGATIVES
  • Trades in today’s NFL aren’t as easy as it often appears. Trading for a player requires ensuring their existing contract will allow the cap requirements to still work.
  • There are usually 3 reasons a team wants to trade a player:
    • 1. They are are off loading contracts or aging veterans in the midst of a rebuild.
    • 2. The player being traded has become a locker room or off field issue and the team is tired of it.
    • 3. The player being traded isn’t that good anymore.
  • If you can acquire a player who is under contract for more than the rest of this season, it‘s better. Otherwise the trade just becomes a short term rental.
  • The acquisition of talent alone is not going to fix your problems. The traded player has to be able to quickly assimilate to the team’s scheme’s and locker room. And this team’s offensive scheme needs ton of help regardless of who’s playing.
So…like many here I would like to see the Cowboys acquire a player or two before the deadline (esp a RB and LB) if the price is right and the player(s) have more value than just this season.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Never go for the marquis player a team is looking to unload during the season. Use any personnel acquisitions to fill holes and bolster depth.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You make deadline deals when you feel as if it’s your final piece, and having that player makes all the difference.

Roy Williams was once that for Jerry.

Careful what you wish for.

Gambit

Reaction score
As we near the trade deadline, there are tons of possible trades being floated around here like candy on Halloween. Don’t get me wrong - I would like to see this roster upgraded, but there are upsides and downsides to making trades.

POSITIVES
  • If you can acquire a player or two that can improve your roster and competitiveness, you should do it.
  • A trade can energize the team’s psyche when they feel the front office is working hard to make the team better.
  • You can occasionally make a good trade without giving up too much.
  • The Cowboys have some day 2 and 3 draft picks that could be used as attractive trade bait.
NEGATIVES
  • Trades in today’s NFL aren’t as easy as it often appears. Trading for a player requires ensuring their existing contract will allow the cap requirements to still work.
  • There are usually 3 reasons a team wants to trade a player:
    • 1. They are are off loading contracts or aging veterans in the midst of a rebuild.
    • 2. The player being traded has become a locker room or off field issue and the team is tired of it.
    • 2. The player being traded isn’t that good anymore.
  • If you can acquire a player who is under contract for more than the rest of this season, it‘s better. Otherwise the trade just becomes a short term rental.
  • The acquisition of talent alone is not going to fix your problems. The traded player has to be able to quickly assimilate to the team’s scheme’s and locker room. And this team’s offensive scheme needs ton of help regardless of who’s playing.
So…like many here I would like to see the Cowboys acquire a player or two before the deadline (esp a RB and LB) if the price is right and the player(s) have more value than just this season.
I'd offer a 4th reason, the player is not a good fit for system.

I just don't see them coughing up a premium pick for anyone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There won't be any trades now with the volume of retention contracts already on this doorstep now...next season.

Creeper

Reaction score
I wonder if the Broncos would be willing to part ways with LLoyd Cushenberry? If there is one spot we need help it is on the OL. An upgrade at C would be helpful I think.

Motorola

Reaction score
Considering we only have 4 regular slotted plus maybe 2 comp picks, better be dang sure any trade is worth the draft capital lost.
If I'm not mistaken, the comp picks aren't finalized until after the current season is over, so they don't exist for a trade now.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The price is likely too steep for the things we need in a trade - reliable TE, big bodied WR, hoss RB. These things can be had for a single pick if we wait a year (and granted the Jonesboys make the right pick). If we trade for them now we have to pay much more for them.

jay94

Reaction score
The price is likely too steep for the things we need in a trade - reliable TE, big bodied WR, hoss RB. These things can be had for a single pick if we wait a year (and granted the Jonesboys make the right pick). If we trade for them now we have to pay much more for them.

We have decent size at WR, need speed and separation. Do think CB/LB bigger needs, the best teams tend to make trades. If were only gonna get to the first round of the playoffs we need to think of life outside of Dak, so to me I say go all in, not do something stupid, but there will be plenty of moves that can make the roster better. If it's defense round 1 typically not good, and round 2 our picks are horrible.