The Very Bitter Peter King on T.O...and Romo's Contract

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Quote of the Week III

"It's so evident that ever since I left, nothing's been going right there. I'm not saying I'm the sole reason, but when I was there, we were very successful.''

-- Dallas wide receiver Terrell Owens, on the post-Owens Eagles, appearing on radio station 790 The Ticket in Miami.

Three comments:

1. Insert "distracted'' for "successful,'' and T.O. would be right.

2. No athlete embodies the ugly moniker of "It's all about him'' more than Terrell Owens.

3. In the Eagles' 26 games since Owens left, their record is 14-12. In the last 26 games Owens was under contract in Philadelphia (including the nine that he was suspended for insubordination), the Eagles were 13-13. That's certainly not the fairest stat, because of the half-season he missed after picking fights with Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb that forced Reid to kick him off the team. But here's why I include it: Part of the reason the Eagles went down the tubes in 2005 was because of the ridiculously self-centered crap Owens pulled in training camp. So if he's going to take credit for being a big reason why the Eagles got to the Super Bowl in 2004, he's also got to take a good deal of the blame for the games they lost with and without him in 2005.

----

Stat of the Week

I've read in some quarters that Tony Romo's contract is not a fair deal for Romo, and he got shortchanged. That is beyond absurd. It is absurd poppycock. The deal is more than fair to Romo, and it's also a good deal for Dallas. It's a classic win-win contract.

I called Dallas owner Jerry Jones this week to talk about the Romo deal. "Did you use any current contract as a guide to making this deal?'' I wondered.

"Well,'' he said, "Bulger's.''

Almost four months ago, St. Louis Rams signed Marc Bulger to a six-year, $65 million contract extension. Last week, just six days before the deadline to apply a new contract to the 2007 cap season (and to take advantage of the fact that the Cowboys were $13 million under the cap), Jones signed Romo to a six-year, $67 million extension. Let's analyze whether the deal was fair to both sides.

Here's the data each team had to use entering into its extension -- 60 starts for Bulger entering the 2007 season, and 17 starts for Romo, through Dallas' first seven regular-season games this year:

Code:
QB     G     W-L     Pct.     Comp.%    TD     Int.     Rating
Bulger 60    36-24   .600     .644      95     59       91.3
Romo   17    12-5    .706     .642      35     22       95.6
"We thought [the Bulger deal] was a fair guide for Tony's contract, especially after seeing him grow as a player so far this year," Jones said.

More than fair, if you ask me. And done just in time so Dallas could take $6.5 million in guarantees this year and apply that toward the 2007 cap. Now Romo will count an average of only $9.5 million against the Dallas cap from 2008 through 2013. To have your quarterback count 8 percent or less toward your cap, and be signed until he's 34 ... that's a pretty good deal in today's NFL.

Comparing the Romo and Bulger deals side by side, with "m'' standing for "million,'' what's remarkable is that not only did the Cowboys use the Bulger contract as a guide -- it's almost as though the year-by-year salaries were copied, with the only difference being a reversal of the 2008 and 2009 base pay figures.

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Quarterback       Bulger                   Romo
Signing bonus     $12m                     $11.5m
Extra 2006 pay*   $1.55m                   $4m
2008              $7m (guaranteed)         $6.5m (guaranteed)
2009              $6.5m ($3m guaranteed)   $7m ($6m guaranteed)
2010              $8.5m                    $8.5m
2011              $9m                      $9m
2012              $9m                      $9m
2013              $11.5m                   $11.5m[/FONT]
* Each player had existing 2007 seasons on their contracts. Bulger's extra pay is a $1.55 million roster bonus. Romo had $4.5 million added to his 2007 salary, bringing his salary this season to $6 million.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I love how he includes all the losses when he was suspended to show he was ineffective while in Philly. :rolleyes:

Peter King, you my friend are a loser.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
By the way, in games in which Terrell started for the Eagles, they were 17-4. In games since Terrell was suspended mid-2005, they're 14-16.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Philly scared me with TO.

They dont have TO anymore and they really dont scare me.

zeromaster

Reaction score
Peter King == absurd poppycock

The man-love he had for Parcells was disturbing as well.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
zeromaster;1747182 said:
Peter King == absurd poppycock

The man-love he had for Parcells was disturbing as well.

Yep, he picked us for the Super Bowl and talked about us all the time last year.

Now, with a clearly superior team, he doesn't give us much ink -- and when he does, it tends to be negative.

Hmm, I wonder what the difference is?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
theogt;1747141 said:
By the way, in games in which Terrell started for the Eagles, they were 17-4. In games since Terrell was suspended mid-2005, they're 14-16.
That's a much more telling statistic IMHO. He even states that his statistical comparison is unfair, but goes ahead and uses it anyway. That is intentionally misleading.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1747202 said:
Yep, he picked us for the Super Bowl and talked about us all the time last year.

Now, with a clearly superior team, he doesn't give us much ink -- and when he does, it tends to be negative.

Hmm, I wonder what the difference is?

Peter King tends to jump on to bandwagons, fawn all over specific players and engage in considerable self-promotion. If you'll notice, many of his predictions are way off the mark, but you'll rarely hear about it, and when you do, it will try and project him as a "humble sportswriter". I don't know why SI doesn't edit out all the BS about his coffee drinking habits and his daughter's athletic accomplishments. While the human touch can be interesting, he gets too much artistic license in that regard.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
T.O. definitely helped the Eagles. But remember they made it to the Super Bowl without him.
And, yes, he was a distraction to the Eagles. Just because he's now a Cowboy doesn't mean history needs to be rewritten.

MShelton

Reaction score
One thing that kills me the most about King this year is how he will call someone like TO, who is admitedly self-centered but harmless in any real fashion, onto the carpet and then in the next breath rave about Albert Haynesworth without calling into question the face stomping incident with Gurode last year. That still remains the closest thing I have seen to a criminal act on a football field.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
tyke1doe;1747463 said:
T.O. definitely helped the Eagles. But remember they made it to the Super Bowl without him.
And, yes, he was a distraction to the Eagles. Just because he's now a Cowboy doesn't mean history needs to be rewritten.
They were already there with him.
They justt had to hold on for two games and the early rounds of the playoffs.

sago1

Reaction score
Couple of corrections: Romo is 27 & will be 33 not 34 when contract due to expire; however, if Romo playing as well as we all hope, you can be sure Jerry will extend that contract with significant increase in monies or give Romo a new contract.

Admit I was surprised by contract being so close to Bulger money (Romo's agent is also Bulger's agent) since his play had lead some to suggest he'd be making close to Manning/Brady money. As it turned out, Romo is making about $1M more a year then Brady but assume that will quickly change. Besides the big part of this contract is the guaranteed money -- $31M. Down the road the Cowboys can also decide to guarantee remaining of his contract if all parties agree.

Nav22

Reaction score
But here's why I include it: Part of the reason the Eagles went down the tubes in 2005 was because of the ridiculously self-centered crap Owens pulled in training camp.
This might be the most absurd sentence I've ever read of King's, and that's saying a lot.

Would T.O. have gotten credit if the Eagles won the Super Bowl that year? Of course not. So to blame him for the collapse... when he wasn't even there... has no basis whatsoever.

JPM

Reaction score
Big deal King's a:
808_img_11.jpg