There's a lingering sense the NFL still wants to get to 18 regular-season games

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...still-wants-to-get-to-18-regular-season-games

Per "Pro Football Talk"

When immersed within the NFL universe for multiple days, you pick up a few things. Here’s one thing I picked up this time around.

The push to 18 regular-season games hasn’t been abandoned, health and safety concerns be damned.

The first hint of it came when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live that Cleveland and other teams are proposing a delay of the trade deadline by 14 days, from the Tuesday after Week 8 to the Tuesday after Week 10. Berry said that one week was aimed at accounting for the extra week created by the 17th regular-season game — and that the second week was in anticipation of further expansion of the regular season, to 18 games.

That happened on Tuesday. In talking to folks after that, I mentioned Berry’s plan, with the anticipation of another game. The reaction was, basically, “Yeah. That’s coming.”

It likely won’t come until the next labor deal. And the league will likely have the same determination then that it had four years ago, when it was clear that the league wanted an extra game badly enough to lock out the players, like the NFL did in 2011.

On one hand, the players share in the extra money that comes from playing extra games. On the other hand, how many more games can the human body endure?

At one point when the NFL wanted to go straight from 16 to 18, someone floated the idea of 18 games with players appearing in a maximum of 16 each. Maybe the 18th game comes with a caveat that, in addition to a bye, no player can play more than 17 regular-season games. (There probably would be an exception for quarterbacks, kickers, punters, and long snappers.)

Regardless, the NFL has good reasons to increase inventory. It’s another weekend of TV windows — which means another weekend of TV money. Also, it’s more stuff on which folks can bet, bet, bet. Which further feathers the nest of owners, both through sponsorships and their ability to own up to five percent of any. company with sports betting operations.

So, ready or not, here it comes. Eighteen regular-season games. Two preseason games.

The question then will be whether the league will eventually if not inevitably try to go with 20 games and no preseason.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Ofcource there's going to be an 18 game regular season and 2 preseason games and 2 bye weeks, 17 is an uneven number for scheduling, the league doesn't want that, been saying it for ten years that the owners want an 18 game season and there's going to be an 18 game regular season, regardless of the nonsense about player safety they're always talking about....It's all about the money, the NFLPA will sign on when the owners hand over a little bigger share of the pie..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Things were always headed toward an 18th game, they just have to try to make it seem nonchalant given the player safety crap line.

It could work, but the owners need to agree to things like expanded rosters and two byes, which means starting Labor Day weekend again, which they didn’t like because ratings aren’t great from the casuals. They want to maximize every situation. So they will settle on one bye because the players will be handed a slightly bigger piece of the pie, and think they are ahead.

Fans lose yet again. Product worse, prices go up. In line with all else in the world.

My piss and vinegar aside….the 18th game would likely add a fourth game of good vs good and bad vs bad from the previous season. More parity, and year to year up and down I suppose.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Per "Pro Football Talk"

When immersed within the NFL universe for multiple days, you pick up a few things. Here’s one thing I picked up this time around.

The push to 18 regular-season games hasn’t been abandoned, health and safety concerns be damned.

The first hint of it came when Browns G.M. Andrew Berry explained on PFT Live that Cleveland and other teams are proposing a delay of the trade deadline by 14 days, from the Tuesday after Week 8 to the Tuesday after Week 10. Berry said that one week was aimed at accounting for the extra week created by the 17th regular-season game — and that the second week was in anticipation of further expansion of the regular season, to 18 games.

That happened on Tuesday. In talking to folks after that, I mentioned Berry’s plan, with the anticipation of another game. The reaction was, basically, “Yeah. That’s coming.”

It likely won’t come until the next labor deal. And the league will likely have the same determination then that it had four years ago, when it was clear that the league wanted an extra game badly enough to lock out the players, like the NFL did in 2011.

On one hand, the players share in the extra money that comes from playing extra games. On the other hand, how many more games can the human body endure?

At one point when the NFL wanted to go straight from 16 to 18, someone floated the idea of 18 games with players appearing in a maximum of 16 each. Maybe the 18th game comes with a caveat that, in addition to a bye, no player can play more than 17 regular-season games. (There probably would be an exception for quarterbacks, kickers, punters, and long snappers.)

Regardless, the NFL has good reasons to increase inventory. It’s another weekend of TV windows — which means another weekend of TV money. Also, it’s more stuff on which folks can bet, bet, bet. Which further feathers the nest of owners, both through sponsorships and their ability to own up to five percent of any. company with sports betting operations.

So, ready or not, here it comes. Eighteen regular-season games. Two preseason games.

The question then will be whether the league will eventually if not inevitably try to go with 20 games and no preseason.
They have to get to an even number. Not fair for half the league to have an extra home game.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The nfl would have 24 games if they could….its more than a lingering sense, they’ll have 18 in the near future

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't mind the 18th game. I also like the idea of moving the Super Bowl to coincide with Presidents Day so the majority of people get the 3-day weekend. The Monday after the Super Bowl has to be one of the least productive workdays anyway.

If I were the players, I would ask for roster increases (more jobs) and the additional bye week.

Take the preseason down to 2 games.

Creeper

Reaction score
They should go back to 16 games. Having an 18 game schedule and then putting in a limitation on how many games each player can play would be stupid. Beyond stupid. Especially when you consider they have limitations on roster size, and of course the salary cap. Making player sit out games requires a roster capable of supporting the limitation and a salary CAP to match.

Cowboys93

Reaction score
How can a league that prints money be even greedier? Here you go

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If there are any more games added, there needs to be a bigger roster and another bye week.

My preference is to go back to a 16 games schedule. There is no need for a 17 or 18 game schedule.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If there are any more games added, there needs to be a bigger roster and another bye week.

My preference is to go back to a 16 games schedule. There is no need for a 17 or 18 game schedule.
It is definitely a want and not a need.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...still-wants-to-get-to-18-regular-season-games

Per "Pro Football Talk"

The more games the better....i don't think the players will like it, but I would.

Mookie

Reaction score
Good.

Step 1: Remove one preseason game and only have a two-week preseason with a Home and an Away game for each team.
Step 2: Add a second bye
Step 3: Start the season Labor Day weekend
Step 4: End the season on Presidents Day weekend so that there's a Monday off every year after the superbowl.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
It could work. Two preseason games, and two bye weeks…it might work. Move the trade deadline to December 1st, and add a couple of roster spots, plus make QB pay exempt from the team salary cap but tiered, it maybe, possibly could work.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When there were 16 games. I thought I would be ok with 18 games. I Liked the 17th game.
Now I am not so sure on 17 or 18 games.
I do kind of like the 18 games though.

I kind of like it, but it is also kind of a bit much. It adds excitement for fans for the teams on the bubble. As normally they would be eliminated and now they have a chance for the playoffs.
But on the other side. A team that normally makes it. Can now be eliminated. Then, what if key players get injured. Then they miss the playoffs or even if they still make it. Their odds of going further are diminished.

There are many factors as to pros and cons.
I will not get all upset one way or the other. We can’t do any thing about it. So will accept it if that is what they do.
we know they will never go back to 16 games.

The CBA in place until 2030, an 18th game can’t be added. But it was up to the owners when to add the 17th but had to be before the 2024 or 2025 season.
However that part can be renegotiated. If all in agreement to compensation. Adjusted contracts and salary cap.
Mist have expanded rosters as well.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The more games the better....i don't think the players will like it, but I would.
Increase the size of rosters, NFLPA will support that. Limit players to only 16 of the 18 games, takes away a potential “safety” complaint, NFLPA will support that. Increase the minimum pay, the membership will certainly support that. Sweeten it for player$ and owner$ with 8 teams make the playoffs in both conferences, no bye, and there you have it. In addition, since college athletes can now make money based on their notoriety as athletes, they are in every sense being paid to play. NCAA football is now professional football. The NFL can spread their televised games to Friday nights and Saturdays to compete with what has become another pro football league.