Think the Cowboys are DE hunting

cnuball21

Reaction score
They usually allow them to get their feet wet in the sub-packages, before an expanded role.
I’d be fine with McDonald at 26. Or Nolan Smith at 26. I like them both.

Both schools misused their talents which helped keep their sacks down. You put either out at RDE and let them rush the QB and they’ll pressure the QB very well.
How do you like King Felix?

Also - agree on Forbes. His combo of athleticism and ball skills are RARE. Give him spot duty year 1 and just pump him full of peanut butter sammys.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

Also - agree on Forbes. His combo of athleticism and ball skills are RARE. Give him spot duty year 1 and just pump him full of peanut butter sammys.
I like Felix but not as much as I do smith and McDonald. Felix is more of a textbook 43 DE. More like Armstrong.

The other two guys are hyper athletic players that, if schemed up with opportunities, will harass QB’s for a long time.

Their schools used them more like they were 5 techs rather than speedy pass rushers.

Smith was asked to 2 gap his whole time at Georgia. That is just crazy. He said that he can’t wait to get outside the Tackle and only worry about 1 gap on his way to the QB.

They’ll both be very good IMO.

And hell yeah on Forbes. Gilmore gives the perfect opportunity to groom Forbes to replace him and watch that guys natural feel for the game come out.

He’s a tremendous cornerback.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
After deep diving into the money, really believe taking a 1st rd DE makes a whole lot of sense, if the value is there. Team has to get away from DLaw's 20 million contract in 2024. Sam Williams probably can replace him that year, but we need depth as both Armstrong/Fowler will be fa's.
McDonald might be the sleeper pick at 26. Quinn worked him out at his pro day and he moving up into the first round in Mocks. If he compares to Gregory I could see the Cowboys loving him. That bend of Gregory was rare.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Really like Forbes, you cannot teach those ball skills. Yes, he needs to add weight, if he can get to 175-180, could be real good.

Felix is a very productive college player, but I don't see star potential.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Much more comfortable taking Forbes knowing you don’t have to throw him to the wolves. Physically he ain’t ready. But the talent is unquestionable. 10-15 lbs on his frame is going to make a huge difference. As long as you are confident that he will maintain the speed and athleticism.

Mr_437

Reaction score
DLaw
Parsons
Williams
Golston
Armstrong
Fowler
McKinley

*contract year
Hard to find snaps for a rookie Edge with this group, and that's why I doubt they grab one at #26. Yeah, they can prepare for next season, but is you DE3 in 2024 more important than a starting LG, TE, NT, LB or RB...

Mr_437

Reaction score
Much more comfortable taking Forbes knowing you don’t have to throw him to the wolves. Physically he ain’t ready. But the talent is unquestionable. 10-15 lbs on his frame is going to make a huge difference. As long as you are confident that he will maintain the speed and athleticism.
An extra 10-15 lbs could effect his speed and quickness. He needs the strength to carry the extra weight on his frame. There may be a reason he's playing at 166.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
DLaw
Parsons
Williams
Golston
Armstrong
Fowler
McKinley

*contract year
Hard to find snaps for a rookie Edge with this group, and that's why I doubt they grab one at #26. Yeah, they can prepare for next season, but is you DE3 in 2024 more important than a starting LG, TE, NT, LB or RB...
Parsons and Williams are the future. Very good edge class and it would be nice to add a player to develop when the older guys are gone.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys might want to have pass rushers on the field at all times. To be honest that is probably the only way to beat Mahomes, Burrow and the other AFC quarterbacks. Sam Williams is rotating with Lawrence and both can come inside on passing downs. Parsons is the Wildcard as he can be a middle linebacker at anytime. I could see McDonald being the pick at 26 and being part of the rotation. You can’t teach his bend around the corner.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Dan Quinn was at Iowa State and Iowa's pro day working the drills with 2 expected 1st rd rushers: Van Ness & McDonald IV. Let's keep an eye to see if these two are among the 30 team visits.
The future of this dl is Micah and Williams.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
The Cowboys might want to have pass rushers on the field at all times. To be honest that is probably the only way to beat Mahomes, Burrow and the other AFC quarterbacks. Sam Williams is rotating with Lawrence and both can come inside on passing downs. Parsons is the Wildcard as he can be a middle linebacker at anytime. I could see McDonald being the pick at 26 and being part of the rotation. You can’t teach his bend around the corner.
McDonald is 1 of my favorite edge players in the class. Definitely a possibility depending on what’s available.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like Felix but not as much as I do smith and McDonald. Felix is more of a textbook 43 DE. More like Armstrong.

The other two guys are hyper athletic players that, if schemed up with opportunities, will harass QB’s for a long time.

Their schools used them more like they were 5 techs rather than speedy pass rushers.

Smith was asked to 2 gap his whole time at Georgia. That is just crazy. He said that he can’t wait to get outside the Tackle and only worry about 1 gap on his way to the QB.

They’ll both be very good IMO.

And hell yeah on Forbes. Gilmore gives the perfect opportunity to groom Forbes to replace him and watch that guys natural feel for the game come out.

He’s a tremendous cornerback.
I agree. Felix is kind of like Karlaftis last year (who I loved). He’s not super twitchy, but he’s rock solid against the run and pass and has a good pass rushing toolkit already. One of my favorite things about Felix is when you watch his highlights he’s often eating double teams…and destroying them. He may not be super high sack / pressure guy - but his floor is high.

Yea the way Smith and McDonald were used in college is absurd. When they get the chance to pin their ears back they are 2 of the best burst / bend prospects in the class. I’m also a big fan of Ojulari.

cnuball21

Reaction score
An extra 10-15 lbs could effect his speed and quickness. He needs the strength to carry the extra weight on his frame. There may be a reason he's playing at 166.
I highly doubt it…I went back and forth on another thread about how easy it is to add 15ish pounds of healthy weight with weight training and decent nutrition.

I did it at 5’11 years ago and he’s 6’1 with more frame and waaaaaaaaaaay more resources.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I highly doubt it…I went back and forth on another thread about how easy it is to add 15ish pounds of healthy weight with weight training and decent nutrition.

I did it at 5’11 years ago and he’s 6’1 with more frame and waaaaaaaaaaay more resources.
10-15 pounds can make a difference in a 40 time.

cnuball21

Reaction score
10-15 pounds can make a difference in a 40 time.
Very, very little IMO.

I’d actually argue he could get faster. I watched peer athletes get bigger and faster once they started doing compound lifts and squats…added healthy weight mostly in the lower half.

cowboyec

Reaction score
•nolan smith,georgia
•will mcdonald,iowa st
•isaiah foskey,notre dame
•zach harrison,ohio st

just gimmie 1 of'm...rd1 or 2.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dan Quinn was at Iowa State and Iowa's pro day working the drills with 2 expected 1st rd rushers: Van Ness & McDonald IV. Let's keep an eye to see if these two are among the 30 team visits.
so I guess they are giving up on sam williams?