Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Couple of six packs of Bud and I could Ace this test. lol

From the Indianapolis Star
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS

Test Yourself

Here is a sampling of questions included on a Wonderlic Personnel Test:

1. Assume the first 2 statements are true. Is the final one: a) true, b) false, c) not certain?

The boy plays baseball. All baseball players wear hats. The boy wears a hat.

2. Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?

3. How many of the five pairs of items below are exact duplicates?

Nieman, K.M./Neiman, K.M
Thomas, G.K/Thomas, C.K.
Hoff, J.P./Hoff, J.P.
Pino, L.R./Pina, L.R.
Warner, T.S./Wanner, T.S.

4. PRESENT, RESENT -- Do these words:

a) have similar meanings, b) have contradictory meanings, c) mean neither the same nor opposite?

5. A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

6. When rope is selling at 10 cents a foot, how many feet can you buy for 60 cents?

7. The ninth month of the year is: October, January, June, September or May?

8. Which number in the following group of numbers represents the smallest amount?

7, .8, 31, .33, 2

9. Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

10. Assume the first two statements are true. Is the final one: a) true, b) false, c) not certain?
Tom greeted Beth. Beth greeted Dawn. Tom did not greet Dawn.

11. A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

:lmao2:

ric

Reaction score
That had to be the easiest test I ever tooken. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
PLease tell me this is NOT the test they use to determine how smart a guy is, If so then that explains how Sean Taylor got in. Yikes.

Go Big D!

Destination End Zone
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time with #7.
Can I get some help here?
:p:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Actually the aspect of the test that makes it challenging is that you've got 50 questions and only something like 20 minutes to complete it. The items might look easy, but you've got like 30 seconds to answer each.

This isn't meant to be an exact test of intelligence -- however it does work well for categorizing folks into broad categories. And the league uses it correctly -- as one of a number of tools with different criteria for each position (and I imagine each team has slightly different criteria).

This isn't the best intelligence test available - but it is one that works pretty well while not requiring complex scoring or an entire afternoon.

You all can laugh at the items - but try doing those sample items in the same time that players do. 11 items in say 4 minutes. Also keep in mind a lot of us -are a hell of a lot smarter than football players as we've had to rely on our brains a bit more.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Actually the aspect of the test that makes it challenging is that you've got 50 questions and only something like 20 minutes to complete it. The items might look easy, but you've got like 30 seconds to answer each.

This isn't meant to be an exact test of intelligence -- however it does work well for categorizing folks into broad categories. And the league uses it correctly -- as one of a number of tools with different criteria for each position (and I imagine each team has slightly different criteria).

This isn't the best intelligence test available - but it is one that works pretty well while not requiring complex scoring or an entire afternoon.

You all can laugh at the items - but try doing those sample items in the same time that players do. 11 items in say 4 minutes. Also keep in mind a lot of us -are a hell of a lot smarter than football players as we've had to rely on our brains a bit more.

Agreed. It tests awareness not intelligence.

It is really testing ability to notice small details in quick time. Hence the questions about "which of the 5 are the exact same" its meant to be one glance and answer, not look at it for 5-10 seconds and laugh at how easy it is. You have to read, judge and go. You don't have time to waste.

What seems the most simple, often gets the most incorrect answers. Thats why qb's that score high typically do well, they read fine detail quickly, and have high awareness. Regardless of if they got a 100, or a 150+ on the IQ test, they can tell by the way the safety lines up what defense is shown.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Muhast said:
Agreed. It tests awareness not intelligence.

It is really testing ability to notice small details in quick time. Hence the questions about "which of the 5 are the exact same" its meant to be one glance and answer, not look at it for 5-10 seconds and laugh at how easy it is. You have to read, judge and go. You don't have time to waste.

What seems the most simple, often gets the most incorrect answers. Thats why qb's that score high typically do well, they read fine detail quickly, and have high awareness. Regardless of if they got a 100, or a 150+ on the IQ test, they can tell by the way the safety lines up what defense is shown.

Of course, smart agents can get a copies of the test(s) -- of course, there should be a huge item pool. the problem though is that with a short test like this a player can really study to it -- there is a persistent rumor that Letwich did exactly that since he improve considerably from one year to the next.

BTW I believe Henson has one of the highest scores of any current player -- he got 42/50.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
One has to remember that not all 50 questions are of this level. These questions may have all appeared on the wonderlic, but the questions get progressively harder and we seldom ever see samples of the final 10 questions and having taken the test, I'll just say that they are not simple.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
One has to remember that not all 50 questions are of this level. These questions may have all appeared on the wonderlic, but the questions get progressively harder and we seldom ever see samples of the final 10 questions and having taken the test, I'll just say that they are not simple.
Someone posted the actual test last year. Or a link to the test. I can't remember which. Compared to the LSAT I thought it was so easy that most High School Seniors with a GPA above 3.0 could do fairly well on it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Someone posted the actual test last year. Or a link to the test. I can't remember which. Compared to the LSAT I thought it was so easy that most High School Seniors with a GPA above 3.0 could do fairly well on it.

12 minute time limit for 50 items though - the items are easy if you have lots of time. that's 15 seconds per question.

cowboygolfer

Reaction score
I just pulled my 15 year old off a video game and gave him the 11 questions above.

He took 3 min and 40 seconds.

He missed the 3rd question ( picked the 1st one and the 3rd one).

He is a freshman in Highschool and the starting RT for their football team ( 6'2" 250 / Nothing like Dad) He has a 4.25 GPA after aditional scoring from his honors classes.

If you average that out he misses 4/5 of 50 with 0 preperation time.

I psted this to give an idea of what is shown, the test is pretty simple for us sitting here reading and sorting them out, but even highly intelligent kids under a timed scenario with no prep time can drop some of these.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
cowboygolfer said:
I just pulled my 15 year old off a video game and gave him the 11 questions above.

He took 3 min and 40 seconds.

He missed the 3rd question ( picked the 1st one and the 3rd one).

He is a freshman in Highschool and the starting RT for their football team ( 6'2" 250 / Nothing like Dad) He has a 4.25 GPA after aditional scoring from his honors classes.

If you average that out he misses 4/5 of 50 with 0 preperation time.

I psted this to give an idea of what is shown, the test is pretty simple for us sitting here reading and sorting them out, but even highly intelligent kids under a timed scenario with no prep time can drop some of these.

It's not as simple as taking the score for a limited sample and extrapolating it. As I said before, the questions get progressively harder. I had a question on non-linear geometry towards the end.

cowboygolfer

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
It's not as simple as taking the score for a limited sample and extrapolating it. As I said before, the questions get progressively harder. I had a question on non-linear geometry towards the end.

You are exactly right, I don't mean to imply any different. Just basing and extrapolating off of what I had there to use. I was actually quite surprised he missed any of them. He is far smarter than I ever was or am now for that matter ( common sense not withstanding).