Thinking OL...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Here's how I project the top offensive linemen in this draft:

1st round:

Alex Barron, LOT, Florida State-- 6-6, 316 pounds, 5.2 sec. 40...

Jammal Brown, ROT, Oklahoma-- 6-5, 310 pounds, 5.2 sec. 40...

Late 1st/ Early 2nd round:

Elton Brown, OG, Virginia-- 6-6, 340 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40... one of my favorite OL in this draft...

David Baas, C/OG, Michigan-- 6-4, 316 pounds, 5.25 sec. 40... I'd like him at center...

Khalif Barnes, LOT, Washington-- 6-5, 310 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40...

2nd/3rd round:

Marcus Johnson, ROG/ROT, Mississippi... 6-5, 325 pounds, 5.25 sec. 40...

Wesley Britt, OT, Alabama... 6-7, 316 pounds, 5.2 sec. 40 (Britt just broke his leg again in the Senior Bowl, which may well push him further down the charts)...

Michael Munoz, LOT, Tennessee... 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.2 sec. 40...

3rd/4th round:

Claude Terrell, OG/OT, New Mexico-- 6-3, 325 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40...

Adam Terry, LOT, Syracuse-- 6-8, 316 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40...

Adam Snyder, OG/OT, Oregon-- 6-6, 316 pounds, 5.05 sec. 40... the Cowboys reportedly looked closely at him during the Senior Bowl... he moves pretty well for a big guy...

Logan Mankins, OG/OT, Fresno State-- 6-4, 316 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40...

Calvin Armstrong, OT, Washington State-- 6-8, 325 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40...

Chris Colmer, OT, North Carolina State-- 6-5, 316 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40...

4th/5th round:

Chris Kemoeatu, OG, Utah-- 6-4, 340 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40.. the type of widebodied mauler that I like...

Jason Brown, C, North Carolina-- 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40... would make a nice backup for Al Johnson...

Anthony Alabi, OT, TCU-- 6-6, 325 pounds, 5.2 sec. 40... well schooled in pass blocking...

5th/6th round:

Rob Petitti, ROT/OG, Pitt-- 6-6, 350 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40... hurt his stock at the Senior Bowl by showing up 20-30 pounds overweight... would be better off under 340 pounds...

Justin Geisinger, OT, Vanderbilt-- 6-4, 325 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40...

Wes Sims, LOT, Oklahoma-- 6-5, 310 pounds, 5.1 sec. 40...

Sam Mayes, OG, Oklahoma State-- 6-3, 340 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40... another favorite of mine, but he'd be better off playing at under 325 pounds...

Jason Respert, C/OG, North Carolina-- 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40... another late round sleeper at C that I like...

6th/7th rounds:

John Drake, OG, UNLV-- 6-4, 350 pounds, 5.35 sec. 40...

Chase Johnson, C, TCU-- 6-3, 310 pounds, 5.3 sec. 40... like Alabi, has had lots of experience pass blocking...

There's about 2 dozen draftable offensive linemen for you... I particularly like Elton Brown or David Baas in the 2nd round, Adam Snyder and Chris Kemoeatu in the 4th, Jason Brown and Anthony Alabi in the 5th, Sam Mayes and Jason Respert in the 6th or Chase Johnson in the 7th...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind drafting Munoz just off pedigree alone. If he's there in the 4th I'd take him.

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I think we are going to grab an O lineman for sure, its just a matter of what we get in free agency, tackle or guard before I can start wishing for the right guy to fall to us.
I was thinking that for those guys who always say "take the best player available, period" you could argue that Alex Barron at #11 would be a great value but we clearly need to address our d-line in the 1st or maybe LB if Johnson drops to 11 or Merriman to #20.
Anyway, my point is the Jerry has had a lifetimes worth of sucky drafts already but we are going to have to incorporate "need" in our picks as well as the "best player available" creedo everyone goes on and on about.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
I think we are going to grab an O lineman for sure, its just a matter of what we get in free agency, tackle or guard before I can start wishing for the right guy to fall to us.

Yeah, you need a "master plan" in place that takes both those avenues for improvement into consideration, as well as possible trades...

We have already gotten an inkling or two as to how the Boys are going to play it this year-- they'll focus on the less-expensive positions in free agency (FS, backup RB, ROT, ROG, DT), and on the marquee positions in the draft (DE, CB, WR)... which is not to say there might not be some overlap, for example they're likely to add a free agent offensive lineman (or two) and still draft one (or two)... I could see them using the draft and free agency both to bolster the DTs, too...

we are going to have to incorporate "need" in our picks as well as the "best player available" creedo everyone goes on and on about.

Amen and hallelujah, brother-- I have always believed that both BPA and need were flawed methods, that the best approach is a common-sense synthesis of the two...