Thinking Outside the Box... That is the Media!!!!

jps_tex

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this all week, and I just wanted to throw it out there for others to take jabs at...just to see if my theory can hold up.

What is being reported in the last day or 2 is that Norv Turner will be announced as HC on Monday, following the Superbowl, and wanted, and will bring, Ron Rivera along with him as DC.

So here goes my theory:

1st a couple of questions;

Does Norv Turner have any connection to Ron Rivera, or did he just pluck his name out of a hat of good DCs?
What if it was Mike Singletary who said that he wanted Rivera as the DC, instead of Norv asking for him?

Lets look at the time table;

1. Sunday - Norv interviewed and it was believed that he or Wade Phillips would be named HC on Monday
2. Monday - Nobody was named HC, and the Dallas Cowboys announced that they would interview 1 more candidate....Mike Singletary. After the interview it was believed that Jones would make his decision on Wednesday.
3. Tuesday - Nothing happened because Jones didn't want to be 1-upped by Superbowl XL media day
4. Wednesday - Again, no decision by Jerry Jones, and it comes out that he wants to talk with Ron Rivera

So, what if, instead of Norv coming in and demanding Ron Rivera as DC because I don't know if any ties the 2 of them have together, Singletary asked for Rivera as his DC, and that is why the annoucement has been delayed until after the Superbowl? We know that Singletary and Rivera have ties back to their playing days where Singletary was the leader on that defense. And, maybe it was Singletary that caused Jones to wait until after the Superbowl.

I also have to believe that during the last 4 years Jerry Jones probably learned, and is greatful for, a lot from Bill Parcells on mis-direction. Parcells and his coaching tree have proven through the years that they like to misdirect the media and other NFL teams, such as throwing out names of free agents they have no interest in, or promising to draft players just so they can get another player that they truely want, or stating other injuries on the injured report just to cover up the true extent of a more important injury. So, it would not surprise me if Jones himself fueled all these Norv rumors just to misdirect the media, and possibly other NFL teams, buying himself time to get in the coaching staff that he really thinks will benifit the future of the Dallas Cowboys....and that being the heart and soul of the great Bears' defense of the past, Mike Singletary, along with a former teamate, and a proven DC in the NFL, Ron Rivera.

Please take this for what it's worth...just a rant by me. It still might be Norv, Garret, and Bowles, or Rivera, but I just tend to think Jerry Jones has something up his sleeve. The whole Norv/Rivera connection just doesn't add up to me.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Does Norv Turner have any connection to Ron Rivera, or did he just pluck his name out of a hat of good DCs?

Well if you take into account, that Last year, when interviewing with the Packers, Rivera contacted Norv about being his OC should he get the job, or the fact that Norv's brother is OC with the Bears and may be having some conversations with him that way, then there is a huge connection between the two.

But there are connections between Mike S and Ron Rivera also, being that they played together.

At this point, anything can happen.

jps_tex

Reaction score
OK, I didn't know that stuff about Rivera and Norv, so they do have a connection.

I guess we'll see next week then.

zeromaster

Reaction score
The media's collective brain is in a box, marked FRAGILE. There's a lot of dust on it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
zeromaster;1354349 said:
The media's collective brain is in a box, marked FRAGILE. There's a lot of dust on it.

Randy Gallowaste fits that description perfectly

Thomas82

Reaction score
jps_tex;1354167 said:
OK, I didn't know that stuff about Rivera and Norv, so they do have a connection.

I guess we'll see next week then.

They have somewhat of a connection because Norv's brother is the Bears' OC.