this is why I like the moves this year

mmillman

Reaction score
and this is why I don't.

First: Getting Cleveland's first next year and Spencer was brilliant. This pick could be McFadden, Jackson, Grove etc........ That could solve some upcoming problems that I see. Fast forward one year and Jones is gone, Owens and or Glenn are gone. Adams tests free agency and gets a better offer and is gone. Crayton is paid to be some teams number 2 and is gone. Ferguson retires. Ellis isn't the same player. Aaron Glenn retires, Henry moves to safety an unexpected injury happens. All of these likely to happen? No, but a couple of them likely will.

The two number 1's next year allow Dallas to get an impact player at any of these positions and plug the dike. The worry that I see is that Dallas is getting long in the tooth at CB (forgot to mention Newman) and WR. RB is a problem because Jones doesn't look like the answer for a dynamic RB. Dallas cannot hang Romo out to dry with a plodding running game, no blindside protection and no speed at WR. WR is not a position a rookie typically comes in and is a reliable number 1.

Nicklebacks can be found in free agency, LT's typically cannot. The McFadden's and Bush' of the world are hard to come by and you don't pass on them (right Houston).

Maybe the future FS is on the team. Hamlin, Watkins, one of these late round big cornerbacks Dallas drafted. Maybe the LT is on the team. McQuistan, Free, the BC kid?

What I don't see is a replacement for Glenn and Owens. A replacement for Jones if he sputters. A replacement for Ferguson (this is huge as the 3-4 doesn't work without a big plugger in the middle).

Romo wasn't built in a day, but this draft was a good step toward a perrenial contender for the next 5-6 years. I have been critical of past manuevers by Jones but this year my hat is off as I think he did a great job manuevering around the draft.
:star:

kevsstang

Reaction score
Good points. I also like the fact of drafting the two tackles to be groomed to replace our current starters. This is exactly what Philadelphia does and it works. They always have linemen to come in and replace those who left. To me this was the best move Jerry made this draft. It all starts up front with the O-line.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The most important part of this Phillips 3-4 is to get pressure on the QB. So you build from that angle on back.

The most important part of an offense is moving the ball with the front line guys pushing the pile, and keeping the QB's Jersey clean. From there, you can have average to good receivers and rbs, and still win SBs ( New England ) Just so happen, we have pretty good receivers and a pretty good TE.

mmillman

Reaction score
Clove;1481418 said:
The most important part of this Phillips 3-4 is to get pressure on the QB. So you build from that angle on back.

The most important part of an offense is moving the ball with the front line guys pushing the pile, and keeping the QB's Jersey clean. From there, you can have average to good receivers and rbs, and still win SBs ( New England ) Just so happen, we have pretty good receivers and a pretty good TE.

News flash Romo isn't Brady. The WR's will be 34 and 35 next year. Pressure only works if the other team is passing if you don't have a good NT in the 3-4 the other team runs it down your throat then play actions you to death.