CFZ This off-season, Different is better than the Same

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my opinion, as we enter the draft phase of the off-season, the Cowboys front office needs to think differently than in past off-seasons. In some ways they already have with the Gilmore and Cooks moves. Because let’s be honest- “going back to what we did” in any year since 1995 hasn’t given us much in playoff success. Assuming of course that playoff success is the bottom line, which it should be.

Because different is better than the same if we are talking about getting better results.

The FO and coaching staff deserve some credit- we have certainly improved and performed well of late- back to back playoff seasons and back to back 12 win seasons. That’s good. But what has it translated to in the post season?. One WC playoff win.
In the last 28 years, our Cowboys have only made the playoffs 12 times. That’s making the playoffs about 42% of the time. Better than some. But again, 12 playoff seasons with zero conference championship games, zero divisional round wins and only 5 WC wins. That’s better than Detroit but it should never be good enough here.

So here’s my big point: We need to approach the final phases of this off-season (draft and late FA) differently than the past if we want to get better results.

Here are some ”different ways of thinking” I would like to see:

• Draft some powerful, impactful IDL in the first 2 rounds IF one falls to you. We haven’t drafted an Interior DL in the first round in how long?How long has stopping the run been a problem here? Too long.
  • I would avoid drafting a RB in round one. Because good RBs are not that hard to find. Yes, we need some help at RB, but we can get get a good one on Day 2. Remember DeMarco Murray was a 3rd rounder and Tony Pollard a 4th rounder. First round picks are a premium that shouldn't be spent on a guy you get 5 good years from.
  • Remember- as good as Zeke was early in his career, he was only a major weapon for 4-5 years. And having Zeke as a major weapon translated into 2 wild card wins. He was the 4th pick in the draft, so as good as he was early in his career, was it a great long term investment?
  • We need to continue to be aggressive in the remaining off season time we have. Take some chances. This team is as close to being competitive for a championship as any time the last decade.
When you haven’t done much in the playoff for 3 decades, getting back to what we were in 2014 or 2016 should not be the standard. Yes, this team has been good the last two years. But good is not enough if we want to be GREAT.

We need to be different in our approach to this coming season. We already have in some ways with the Gilmore and Cooks acquisitions. But we need more. This team still needs lots of improvements. Time to finish this off-season with a great draft and continued bold moves in FA. Time to go for it!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Remember- as good as Zeke was early in his career, he was only a major weapon for 4-5 years. And having Zeke as a major weapon translated into 2 wild card wins. He was the 4th pick in the draft, so as good as he was early in his career, was it a great long term investment?
Nope. Should have drafted Ramsey. But give Jerry credit. He sold a crap load of jerseys.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For me it’s just who is available with our 1st pick.

If our options are Will McDonald, Gibbs, Mayer, Johnston then I’d probably go McDonald or Gibbs.

If Darnell Wright is somehow there then he’s gotta be the pick.

Torrence or Avila I don’t want in round 1. We don’t need a first round guard that badly.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nope. Should have drafted Ramsey. But give Jerry credit. He sold a crap load of jerseys.
Zeke was a pick for Romo.

They didn’t expect to be developing a rookie QB.

Maybe Romo wins a championship with one of those teams and if he does then it was for sure worth it.

But In hindsight Zeke was not a good pick longterm.

With that said I’d still draft a RB early if you have a well built team and can push for a championship. Dallas has that.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Maybe Romo wins a championship with one of those teams and if he does then it was for sure worth it.

With that said I’d still draft a RB early if you have a well built team and can push for a championship. Dallas has that.
I‘m hoping that’s the way this organization thinks now. Nothing against Zeke at all but drafting him at 4 was not a great investment of first round capital. Maybe drafting a RB at 26 isn’t a disaster…but I would still wait until Day 2 if it were me. This draft is pretty deep with RBs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I‘m hoping that’s the way this organization thinks now. Nothing against Zeke at all but drafting him at 4 was not a great investment of first round capital. Maybe drafting a RB at 26 isn’t a disaster…but I would still wait until Day 2 if it were me. This draft is pretty deep with RBs.
Yeah.. Just remember that Dak Prescott is our QB and as long as he’s our QB we can’t ask his arm to win us bigtime ball games come post season.

So we don’t need just a run game. We need an explosive run game.

We need homerun hitters at RB.

Toro9

Reaction score
RB by committee is more effective than it was 20 years ago; even 10, and RBs are generally more effective in their first 2 years in the league. My approach would be to draft a RB in the 3rd or 4th about every other year, with some UDFAs for extra depth.

Drafting a RB in the first round is, quite potentially, a waste of cap space and draft capitol.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If our options are Will McDonald, Gibbs, Mayer, Johnston then I’d probably go McDonald or Gibbs.

Torrence or Avila I don’t want in round 1. We don’t need a first round guard that badly.
Dallas only drafted 2 - 1st round OG's, Zach Martin and John Niland. I doubt they select another one. Unless no trade down partners and he is the absolute BPA higher than anyone else on their big board.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In my opinion, as we enter the draft phase of the off-season, the Cowboys front office needs to think differently than in past off-seasons. In some ways they already have with the Gilmore and Cooks moves. Because let’s be honest- “going back to what we did” in any year since 1995 hasn’t given us much in playoff success. Assuming of course that playoff success is the bottom line, which it should be.

Because different is better than the same if we are talking about getting better results.

The FO and coaching staff deserve some credit- we have certainly improved and performed well of late- back to back playoff seasons and back to back 12 win seasons. That’s good. But what has it translated to in the post season?. One WC playoff win.
In the last 28 years, our Cowboys have only made the playoffs 12 times. That’s making the playoffs about 42% of the time. Better than some. But again, 12 playoff seasons with zero conference championship games, zero divisional round wins and only 5 WC wins. That’s better than Detroit but it should never be good enough here.

So here’s my big point: We need to approach the final phases of this off-season (draft and late FA) differently than the past if we want to get better results.

• Draft some powerful, impactful IDL in the first 2 rounds IF one falls to you. We haven’t drafted an Interior DL in the first round in how long?How long has stopping the run been a problem here? Too long.
  • I would avoid drafting a RB in round one. Because good RBs are not that hard to find. Yes, we need some help at RB, but we can get get a good one on Day 2. Remember DeMarco Murray was a 3rd rounder and Tony Pollard a 4th rounder. First round picks are a premium that shouldn't be spent on a guy you get 5 good years from.
  • We need to continue to be aggressive in the remaining off season time we have. Take some chances. This team is as close to being competitive for a championship as any time the last decade.
When you haven’t done much in the playoff for 3 decades, getting back to what we were in 2014 or 2016 should not be the standard. Yes, this team has been good the last two years. But good is not enough if we want to be GREAT.

We need to be different in our approach to this coming season. We already have in some ways with the Gilmore and Cooks acquisitions. But we need more. This team still needs lots of improvements. Time to finish this off-season with a great draft and continued bold moves in FA. Time to go for it!
IF we dont fix the Oline, then none of that matters.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Dallas doenst have the line. If they had a great Oline like Philly, then maybe.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dallas only drafted 2 - 1st round OG's, Zach Martin and John Niland. I doubt they select another one. Unless no trade down partners and he is the absolute BPA higher than anyone else on their big board.
I’m anti guard with our first pick.

With that said my top choice for this team is Darnell Wright and I would play him at guard lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m anti guard with our first pick.

With that said my top choice for this team is Darnell Wright and I would play him at guard lol.
The good news is there are a lot of really good players that will be available to us at 26. This is a deep draft with lots of players that can help us immediately.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah.. Just remember that Dak Prescott is our QB and as long as he’s our QB we can’t ask his arm to win us bigtime ball games come post season.

So we don’t need just a run game. We need an explosive run game.

We need homerun hitters at RB.
This. It was kinda being overlooked 'til you brought it up here. Just maybe a day 2 homerun @ RB that can help reduce the pass volume by this limited QB can be had. If not, GroundHog year 28 continues.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They can’t think much more different than they have with CeeDee, Diggs and Parsons being in line for huge contract extensions. They’re going to have to have the room to pay them. They just need to draft smart and stay away from injured and problem players. They like to find players that have fallen in the draft due to injuries or off the field issues. That formula usually comes back to bite them.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:clap:
(especially Darnell Wright )

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Let's go all in !!!!!