This "Dallas lacks mental toughness" stuff has spread like wildfire

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
a few dopes on espn start saying this and now every blogger and writer use it. What a joke. This team is under the microscope in every facet. Playing primetime games constantly and most people waiting for them to fail.

I am tired of reading we are not a mentally tough team. It is completely bogus, here was a packers writer on the milwaukee journal sentinels blog about Dallas before the game....and my question is how is that working out for ya.

Cowboys-Packers pregame report

By Greg A. Bedard

Sunday, Sep 21 2008, 06:06 PM

Green Bay - It's a beautiful night at Lambeau Field for a big NFC tilt.
There looks to be some humidity/rain just west of the stadium but hopefully it won't bother anybody.
Here are the pre-game notes:
  • C Scott Wells is active but he will not start. Jason Spitz will start.
  • Packers inactives: QB Brian Brohm, S Atari Bigby, CB Pat Lee, FB Korey Hall, T Breno Giacomini, G Josh Sitton, WR Ruvell Martin, DE Jeremy Thompson.
  • Lineup change: John Kuhn for Hall.
  • Cowboys inactives: QB Brooks Bollinger, WR Sam Hurd, CB Alan Ball, FB Deon Anderson, S Roy Williams, G Joe Berger, T Doug Free, LB Anthony Spencer.
  • The Cowboys have no lineup changes.
  • Kyle Kosier will start at LG for the Cowboys. He had been injured the first two games.
  • Oh, and remember my questions on Tuesday about the Cowboys? Here are my answers:
  • 1. Are the Cowboys a better team now than last Thanksgiving? Yes they are, especially now that CB Terence Newman is back and starting at left corner. Zach Thomas also gives them a big-time presence in the middle. His smarts and his leadership are huge assets for a team that kind of lacks a solid leader.
  • 2. What is the Cowboys' biggest weakness? A lot of you said their secondary, and that's true, they are a little weak there but now that Newman is back, they should be better. The real weakness of this Cowboys team is that they lack mental toughness. When something bad happens, it often takes them time to recover. They always make some mistake, whether it's Tony Romo interception, a dropped pass by Patrick Crayton or a dumb penalty. The Cowboys are great if they get ahead and stay ahead, but they don't take a punch to the face well. Look for the Packers to take a big shot early.
  • 3. Can the Packers win? Only because of the short week the Cowboys have after a tough game against the Eagles. That's the kind of tough circumstance the Cowboys struggle to overcome because they lack discipline from the top (Jerry Jones, Wade Phillps) on down. Other than that, the Packers can score on the Cowboys but I don't think the Packers can keep up. They will not be able to get enough heat on Romo. They will try -- they have some things in the works that I will talk about that once the game starts -- but I don't think it will be enough to get the kind of pressure they need to disrupt that very, very potent passing offense. And Marion Barber makes it that much tougher will play action. The Packers respect him and Felix Jones big time. Cowboys 37, Packers 27.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
What theebs said.

I don't care what the media pundits say anymore. This Cowboys team could go out and run the table and people will still reach down inside themselves for something bad to say about the Cowboys. Fact is - people love to hate on Americas team the Dallas Cowboys. End of story.

I don't care anymore.

Give me the wins and get out of the way.

Who's next ???

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
big win last week, short week, pull off another win in a hostile environment after said short week

isn't that the stuff of mentally tough teams?

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2277452 said:

It is for any team in the NFL not named the Dallas Cowboys. We sell tickets. The mediots feed off of slinging stuff at the Cowboys. At the end of the day - it SELLS.

Ratings go up - broadcasters are happy - more advertising sold.

Rinse and repeat

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob Sacamano;2277452 said:
big win last week, short week, pull off another win in a hostile environment after said short week

Yep. Watch out Washington. This train won't be stopped.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Look, when you're the team people are eyeing, you're going to be criticized that much more. It's like when a hot girl walks in a room and all the average girls start pointing whispering, "Her boobs are so fake!"

This team isn't without weakness. But it's also head and shoulders above about 90 percent of the league. Is mental toughness a weakness? Personally, I don't see it. I don't see mental weakness as the reason we lost last year's playoff game, or the reason Romo bobbled the snap against Seattle. I think it has a lot more to do with the need to continue playing our best football through December, and not peeking earlier.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas;2277449 said:
What theebs said.

I don't care what the media pundits say anymore. This Cowboys team could go out and run the table and people will still reach down inside themselves for something bad to say about the Cowboys. Fact is - people love to hate on Americas team the Dallas Cowboys. End of story.

I don't care anymore.

Who's next ???

Don't forget that "some of those people" are our own supposed Cowboy fans!

Now that is what is mind blowing!! I can understand the jerks from the media and other fans of other teams, but our own fans moaning and groaning after the Cowboys go into a hostile environment and win?

Wow...just wow!

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
RainMan;2277466 said:
Look, when you're the team people are eyeing, you're going to be criticized that much more. It's like when a hot girl walks in a room and all the average girls start pointing whispering, "Her boobs are so fake!"

Best analogy ever!

...but I need pics to drive the point home.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think comment #2 is a correct one, but only for a short time,,, they usually bounce back after a series or two. I've noticed when momentum shifts it is immediately contagious all the way down to their punter. The defense often folds after their offense coughs up the ball. I guess that's why they call it "momentum",,, the defense held up well tonight though.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Oh well, mentally tough or not, after beating the Eagles and Packers, and seeing the Pats and the Steelers play today, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that we have the best team in the NFL.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
oh, I forget

we're September's team, so we're always mentally tough then, just not when it counts later in the season...

my bad

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
nake;2277481 said:
Oh well, mentally tough or not, after beating the Eagles and Packers, and seeing the Pats and the Steelers play today, there doesn't seem to be any doubt that we have the best team in the NFL.

Nobody and I mean NOBODY not a fan of the Cowboys wants this team to win a 6th Super Bowl trophy.

NOBODY !! ;)

That is driving a TON of hate I bet. :D :D :D

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Dallas;2277449 said:
What theebs said.

I don't care anymore.

Who's next ???

Thats because nobody wants to hear constant praise over a team that can do no wrong. It has nothing to do with the Cowboys. We just learned this in a journalism class of mine is that with sports writing you always have to show both sides of the story.

People would get sick of watching/listening if all they did was praise us. We get our props, but there needs to be another side presented as well.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
If anything Romo has proven time and time again that he is mentally tough.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2277497 said:
Thats because nobody wants to hear constant praise over a team that can do no wrong. It has nothing to do with the Cowboys. We just learned this in a journalism class of mine is that with sports writing you always have to show both sides of the story.

People would get sick of watching/listening if all they did was praise us. We get our props, but there needs to be another side presented as well.

Kind of what was shoved down our throats last year w/ regard to the Pats?

I know I was sick of hearing it back then. It didn't stop the media fawning all over Billicheat and his primadonna's. They RAVED about the Pats until they lost. They then quietly stopped talking about them.

:(

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2277497 said:

Exactly. Plus, for the networks, there's a product to promote. The last thing you want to do is promote your product as "Keep watching, even though this season is all about Dallas' coronation. Just enjoy the journey."

I mean, they were picking apart New England last year and they hadn't even lost before the Super Bowl. Nobody's perfect, and the more teams we beat, the more we'll hear about our imperfections.