This was not just an off game...

visionary

Reaction score
this is not a "sky is falling" post but

for those who are saying this was "good loss" or "just an off game", this was not.

This game just exposed our weaknesses which many of us have pointed out again and again on this forum.

DEFENSE:

1. We have a pass rush that is anemic. For a so called "physical defence" we dont hit the QB or sack him.

2. We cant defend the screen pass. Peyton knew that and that is really what the saints did against us: screen pass, screen pass, screen pass, and when we back off , deep pass. this is what the giants did to us, what the saints did to us, and why westbrook has big games against us.

3. Our safeties are very poor in coverage and basically have 4 SS or rookie FS who cant cover and take bad angles and drop passes.

the long and short of this is that we cant defend the deep pass and cant defend the short pass .... so what exactly can we defend?

for this i have to blame the defensive scheme more than anything else..GROZ

OFFENSE:

1. we cant run the ball consistently or effectively. what i mean by that is that when we need 3-4 yards on third down we have to throw because we cant run it. i know JJ broke the long one last night but take that out and we didnt run effectively or consistently. people will say well we fell behind. i say we fell behind because we didnt do this.

2. romo has to stop trying to be a gunslinger and to "manage the game". there were many poor decisions in the game yesterday whre he should have taken the short dump off to keep the cahins moving but he took a shot downfield. romo has to go back to being a more patient passer from the pocket. i think he can be but until he proves it to opposing defences that will keep him in the pocket.

OVERALL:

THis team does not play with "heart" and lacks a certain "intensity" that someone like ray lewis or merriman brings. someone like that is sorely missed on this team IMO. Did any of the players look like this beat down was personal to them? i saw none of that emotion.

unless we fix these problems (and i dont know if we can) we will see the same from Philly in 2 weeks and then from whoever we see in the playoffs and will get bounced in the first round.

DipChit

Reaction score
Well whether it was an "off" game, a "good" loss, a "bad" loss a "totally shellacking" ..or whatever you want to call it, it still only ONE loss when it comes to standings.. no different than if the game would've played out any other way and we came up short.

Theres no evidence to suggest it will have lingering effects as it pertains to playing anyone else.

Deputy493

Reaction score
I do think some glaring weaknesses were exposed, I have been saying for awhile our D is overrated......it kind of reminds me of 91 when we were good and better and in the playoffs, but when we matched up against the run and shoots of Houston and Detroit we got smoked, due to lack of consistent pass rush and secondary problems.......hopefully we fix that this off season as we did that off season.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
It is bad that the Cowboys lost. But ...

Of the seven division leaders who played yesterday, four lost. Three of the four losers got pasted (Cowboys, Colts, Patriots) and the fourth (Seattle) lost to a very poor Cardinals team.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
DipChit;1225927 said:
Well whether it was an "off" game, a "good" loss, a "bad" loss a "totally shellacking" ..or whatever you want to call it, it still only ONE loss when it comes to standings.. no different than if the game would've played out any other way and we came up short.

Theres no evidence to suggest it will have lingering effects as it pertains to playing anyone else.

There is evidence to suggest it will have lingering effects.

The NFL has always been a copycat league. Teams saw how to move the ball against Dallas and they'll do the same thing until Parcells/Zimmer and co. prove they can stop it.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I see what you're saying...

but this was an off game.

This team got it's teeth kicked in. The Falcons better be ready.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
any team playing mistake free football and lights out QB play (ie. NO last night) will win 99% of the games they play.

just an off game

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't think we're as bad as we looked, but I agree....to say this was an "off" game is ridiculous...you're playing the final 1/4 of the season, positioning for a first round bye, at home, against a team you know is good at 8-4, you don't have an "off" game.

Maybe T.O. and the entire team put Parcells on ignore during that "championship" speech...either it was the wrong speech, or no one heard it.

WE'll right the ship and play on, but losses like this tend to stick with you one way or another...you have to be afraid to lay an egg like that in the playoffs, so maybe the intensity, preparation, and results will be there next time.

khiladi

Reaction score
Actually, the only one not listening to the speech of Parcells was Parcells...