ROY WILLIAMS [Roy Williams - WR] Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: Texas
Conference: Big 12
Ht., Wt.: 6'2½, 212
40 Time: 4.42
Grade: 4.48

Selected by Detroit Lions
Round 1, pick 7 (7 overall) BIO: Made a major impact on the Texas program as a freshman and has won varying degrees of all-conference honors since the 2000 season. Led Texas in receiving the past three seasons, most recently totaling 70/1,079/9 in '03 after 64/1,142/12 as a junior when he set a school record for touchdown receptions. Sophomore totals included 67/836/7 after 40/809/8 in 2000, when he was tabbed Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year.

POSITIVES: Big, playmaking receiver that is a scoring threat every time he handles the ball. Quickly gets off the line and defeats jams by opponents, has a burst of speed and runs solid routes. Sharp into patterns, stays low on exit and immediately positions himself to make the reception. Shields defenders from the action with his large frame and protects the pass, quickly transitioning up the field after the reception. Extends his hands, offers the quarterback a nice target and comes down with the ball in a crowd. Tough to cover and easily separates from opponents. Picks up positive yardage running with the ball and is both elusive and strong. Makes the reception in stride running laterally, has excellent deep speed yet controls the game as a possession receiver in the underneath coverage. Also intelligent and knows where the chains are on third down. Effective blocker when focused on the task at hand.

NEGATIVES: Does not always play with a sense of urgency and comes across as a prospect that will take it or leave it. Does not always attack blocking assignments. Bothered by hamstring injuries throughout his junior campaign. Does not always show up for the big game.

ANALYSIS: A receiver that dominates, Williams possesses the physical skills that warrant a very early selection at the top of the draft, but he does not come across as someone that always plays like the game is on the line. Possessing more upside than any player in this draft, Williams will be a value pick anywhere after the third choice if he plays to his level.

PROJECTION: Mid First Round

Photo: Donald Miralle/Getty Images

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
If he doesn't absolutely blossom to his potential as a Cowboy, I will be amazed.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
He and Romo should go together well. I do hope TO will allow him to be the bigger dog at times which will happen. I don't fear it just a small concern.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2340676 said:
has excellent deep speed yet controls the game as a possession receiver in the underneath coverage.

I really like that, should help Brad Johnson out alot

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i think what makes him look taller is he is kinda skinny with long legs and super long arms.